The "I've got problems with my avids" thread

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Heh treble, fair enough - it does depend on the problem.

To Mooreys point though, is because the question is asked so often, rather than someone typing a 4 paragraph set of potential solutions, they come up with the lazy " just buy xts " - it is lazy, and I have been a culprit before when the problem is Turkey gobble in particular ( that's a frame related issue and farkin hard to fix) .

I used to love my elixirs, then I sold a bike and changed the brakes round so the elixirs went with it - see ya! :). Bit like a boat 2nd happiest day buying it, happiest day of your life selling it. :D

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's a bit of a false economy, XTs cost nothing and are unserviceable beyond a bleed. The price of Avids is too Damn high, are user serviceable with kits available. I find when a bit stops working on the XTs, I bin it pretty much automatically and get a replacement end (lever or calliper) the elixir crs, I rebuilt the front lever, bled them, pulled the bike out of the bushes and bled them again, properly. They haven't missed a beat in the 2 years since, mind you I NEVER touch the pad contact adjust.

Edit, I'm running the cheaper G2 discs and sintered pads, no gobble at all.

treble

Likes Dirt
Heh treble, fair enough - it does depend on the problem.

To Mooreys point though, is because the question is asked so often, rather than someone typing a 4 paragraph set of potential solutions, they come up with the lazy " just buy xts " - it is lazy, and I have been a culprit before when the problem is Turkey gobble in particular ( that's a frame related issue and farkin hard to fix) .

I used to love my elixirs, then I sold a bike and changed the brakes round so the elixirs went with it - see ya! :). Bit like a boat 2nd happiest day buying it, happiest day of your life selling it. :D
Yep moorey is spot on, even if he was just trying to stir shit :nono:. We should have a sticky, but it should have useful advice on common problems rather than opinions.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep moorey is spot on, even if he was just trying to stir shit :nono:. We should have a sticky, but it should have useful advice on common problems rather than opinions.
It's a little of A, and a little of B...there is always a couple of avid problems threads running a
that always go the same way......so I couldn't help a bit of shit stirring.
Btw, A lot of people just blame the rotors for the noise...but both my sons bikes have shimano brakes with avid rotors (mixed types), and have never squealed or gobbled :noidea:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
XT are better at $200 than $300. But they were recently about $85 and end! Deore we about the same cost as a bleed...

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've got problems with my Avids...........i just cannot seem to get them to make noise or need constant bleeding :noidea:

What am in doing wrong guys?
Likewise, likewise....(just ditch the G3 rotors on all of them)

Guy came up from behind last sat and I predicted Avids, based on noise, turned out it was XT with G3 rotors (???).

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
"Ride it hard down your apartment"...please explain!?
Along the outside façade with a cable from the top - fully vertical yO. It goes XC,AM,DH, Vertigo. I invented the style and it works great in with my new 28.25" wheel sized obese bike.

Seriously though, a couple of levels of carpark ramps. I suspect the problem is more the stupid HS1 rotors now though. Previously had stock elixir 1s with G2CS, and now just chucked a fresh set on and they are back to behaving...for now.