The James Williamson Enduro Challenge 2011

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
james williamson_enduro_2011_04.jpg

The inaugural MTB event to be held in memory of and honor to James Williamson, the 2008 World and 2006 Australian MTB 24 Hour champion, who passed away on March 23rd 2010. James came from the Southern Highlands of NSW before moving to Canberra, and knew the trails of both areas well.

The James Williamson Enduro Challenge is an event joint initiative of Southern Highlands Cycling Club and Canberra Off-Road Cyclists, created in honour of the late James Williamson. This is the first of what will be an annual event held each March, at Wingello in the Southern Highlands of NSW. James passed away on March 23rd 2010 while he was participating in the Cape Epic Mountain Bike Race in South Africa.

The James Williamson Enduro Challenge is intended to be a ride for those who love mountain biking, and a race for those who love to ride hard.

There are four distances for this event: 75km, 50km, 25km and 16km.

Categories include:
Open male & female for the 75km, 50km or 25km distances.

Under 19 (must be 17 or 18 years as of March 13th 2011), 50 or 25 km distance.
Under 17 (must be 15 or 16 years of age as at March 13 2011) 25 or 16km distance.
Under 15 (must be 13 or 14 years of age as at March 13 2011) 16km only.

The Wingello tracks combine single track and four-wheel drive forest roads. The tracks have everything, winding through banksias, trees, ferned gullies, soft eucalypt forests, up steep climbs, over water bars, around tight rocky areas and back again onto perfect flowing single track, providing an awesome circuit with plenty of space for passing as well as going hard. The single track is maintained and well signed, with the trails being used often, by the public, by the Southern Highlands Cycling Club, by the Highland Fling ride.

Proceeds from this race will be used to finance a range of activities in support of developing young mountain bike riders in New South Wales; including: an annual training camp, assistance packages and other forms of assistance to be determined by the administrators of the James Williamson Fund.

All registrations completed before December 1st, will receive a specially designed “Willo T-shirt” as part of their entry fee.

Numbers will be limited to 600 riders, and registrations will cease after this number is reached.

Enter Here:

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
In!
Its a shame that the old Penrose trails don't exist... Willo's ride in the place he learnt to ride would have been epic... but just down the road in Wingello will still be awesome!

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
In too. My MTBA licence is due to run out the week before the race, so I got stung for a day licence. Couldn't figure a way around that one. Sheesh.

Maybe I can ask for a refund when I renew...

Looking forward to it.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
In too. My MTBA licence is due to run out the week before the race, so I got stung for a day licence. Couldn't figure a way around that one. Sheesh.

Maybe I can ask for a refund when I renew...

Looking forward to it.
i'll be entering once get home from canberra adventure at the 24 hour and will be in the same predicament as mine expires early march, hopefully there is a workaround that will renew when due, but want to enter events for next year now.....so i have incentive to get back onto the bike after Solo 24 hours... :rolleyes:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
i'll be entering once get home from canberra adventure at the 24 hour and will be in the same predicament as mine expires early march, hopefully there is a workaround that will renew when due, but want to enter events for next year now.....so i have incentive to get back onto the bike after Solo 24 hours... :rolleyes:
Hey guys and gals - if you're in this predicament hold off for a short while and we'll get the answer. Willow's aunt who is organising this will be away doing the Cape to Cape and I'll pass on the concerns asap and get back to you with the solution. Cheers.:)

Last edited:

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and gals - if you're in this predicament hold off for a short while and we'll get the answer. Willow's aunt who is organising this wil be away for the weekend and I'll pass on the concerns asap. Cheers.:)
thanks dude, keen to support this event...and license expires 12th march and will renew early march....but want to enter this month...

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Im in :eek: . Paid the day fee too ill claim it back later if i can if not, its only $15
I have it on good authority that the system will work along the lines of what happened in the chocolate foot series.... ie if you are in a position of having to pay the day licence when you enter online, then on producing your current 2011 MTBA licence on the day of the event, a refund less a small fee of I think $1, will be refunded.

Renew Now

I had the same problem and called MTBA. The last post was correct, that you can get a refund on the day. Another alternative is to renew your MTBA license now (it will just extend 12 months from your expiry date) and then the day license fee is removed.

Linda
www.EnduroExplorer.com

I'm in. A fitting tribute to the late James Williamson, great trails and with funds going into the development of the sport, what more could you want from an event..
Can't wait in fact.

JD26

Likes Dirt
Probably a good time to start thinking about this event. Definitely will be a good event supporting the achievements of a talented individual.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am in and running out of time to get fit for it:)

Does any one know how the course will be configured for the 75km?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Does any one know how the course will be configured for the 75km?
I suspect hills, hills and more hills....its wingello,, therefore could be a kin to the circus, or the middle section of the fling....

JFT ! Like i need to start doing... :eek::cool:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Entry Progress

A list of riders who have entered as at 24 Jan 2011 is attached - one by category and one by surname.

View attachment JW_Entreis_at_24Jan_by_Name.pdf
View attachment JW_Entries_at_24Jan_by_Category.pdf

There are still some places left before the entry cap of 600 riders is reached. The site says that entries close on 7 March - so a few days left, but not many.

If you have let this one slip, the you can still enter via the SHCC website which contains some event info, or you can go direct to the entry system here.

Don't miss out on this inaugural event to honour one of Australia's great World Champions.

Last edited: