The James Williamson Enduro Challenge 2011

Enduro Pulse

Likes Dirt
Track conditions?

I rode the Red Loop on Thursday afternoon and it's in fine condition. The water bar descent has been graded so the kick out of the water bars has gone. There's a few sandy sections still but other than that it'll be a fast, fast race.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Any news on trail conditions/ track difficulty/ weather on the day?
Track copped a storm this afternoon and some single track corners were a bit slick but by tomorrow will be perfect! Parking is going to be tight at event centre so don't be late! I shaping up for a great day!

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has a good time out there today, little warm but the track was awesome. Shower the night before really helped.
Little congested at the start (Some people were struggling to ride the first singletrack - WTF?).
Saw a few prime examples of how not to pass on singletrack, take it easy!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has a good time out there today, little warm but the track was awesome. Shower the night before really helped.
Little congested at the start (Some people were struggling to ride the first singletrack - WTF?).
Saw a few prime examples of how not to pass on singletrack, take it easy!
I agree with your assessment of people struggling on the first singletrack. Especially those walking that A line so no-one else could ride down it!

A great event. A nice loop. Different enough to the 3 Ring that I'll do that as well. My half worn SB8 rear tyre gripped exceptionally well today so I was pretty happy. The trail condition was awesome.

Everyone that wanted to pass me was extremely polite and patient and thne very safe when they passed. Everyone that I wanted to pass was very nice about letting me do so.

A lot of 29ers out there today.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great event, big thumbs up to the event organisers, marshals and volunteers. A good job all round. I will be back next year.

I really liked the course, but the 1st lap was frustrating coming to complete stops on the single track, on multiple occasions. Maybe some thought needs to go into some traffic flow for next year. Maybe there should be A, B & C lines:)

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with your assessment of people struggling on the first singletrack. Especially those walking that A line so no-one else could ride down it!
I think I read in the race rules that you were not allowed to walk the A line:) On lap 1 I took the B line and got in front of a whole bunch of people who were waiting for the A line. It was like lining up at a theme park. Made no sense to me.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really liked the course, but the 1st lap was frustrating coming to complete stops on the single track, on multiple occasions. Maybe some thought needs to go into some traffic flow for next year. Maybe there should be A, B & C lines:)
What about staggered starts? Sending off 200 people at once in the hope that the first firetrail would stretch the group out didn't work. Maybe send groups of 20-30 off at 2 minute intervals? The groups could be self seeded based on predicted times or something.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another thing I liked about the event was it brought back the good old days of decent entrant goody bags. A t-shirt, bottle and energy chews, along with the other bits and pieces was really cool.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Another thing I liked about the event was it brought back the good old days of decent entrant goody bags. A t-shirt, bottle and energy chews, along with the other bits and pieces was really cool.
plus the enduro mag and bottle handed to us as we crossed the line...top stuff....not that a race is a bout freebies...

dottyman

Likes Dirt
What about staggered starts? Sending off 200 people at once in the hope that the first firetrail would stretch the group out didn't work. Maybe send groups of 20-30 off at 2 minute intervals? The groups could be self seeded based on predicted times or something.
Nothing like the Wall to sort riders out...but I'm grateful I didnt have to slog up that.
Perhaps a longer firetrail section with a hill before the s/t would help. That new track at 2km was nice but obviously too challenging for some. It will be interesting to see if its in the 3RC....hope so.

Overall a great event, well organised with good booty on an awesome track.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Results

Here are Category Results, Podium Results and a set of Overall Results grouped by Sex/Distance (Male 75Km, for example):

View attachment JW11_Category_Results.pdf
View attachment JW11_Category_Podiums.pdf
View attachment JW11_Overall_Results_by_Distance.pdf

Mullet got a heap of riding photos

I have put a couple of start and event village happy snaps up in this album, but I didn't get out on the course at all.

But, noting the comment about energy chews, I thought this was a novel way to carry them during the race :) (Michelle Ainsworth - winner Open Women 75 Km)

Top 5 Men 75 Km (overall)
1. Peter Hatton
2. Ben Mather
3. Craig Gordon
4. Dylan Cooper
5. Ivan Rybarik

Top 5 Women 75 Km (overall)
1. Michelle Ainsworth
2. Niki Fisher
3. Kristen Vallance
4. Carmel Ainsworth
5. Jo Williams

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Such a great race, and an awesome atmosphere. No agro out on the track at all, every one was up for a chat and smiling from ear to ear. Those trails... wow! From what I was told by a local rider, the trails were very sandy leading up to the weekend but that overnight shower sorted that out for us.

My highlight was getting passed on the 2nd lap by the 75km leaders, Dylan Cooper and Gordo, they were smashing it!! I tried to stick on their wheel, that lasted 3 meters.

That first bit of singletrack was a hoot. Yes there were some beginners out there, but that is always going to happen. Don't get angry at them, we were all there once. Just be patient and stay well back and offer them some support next time you get stuck behind them, it will stoke them out to hear it.

Hope everyone has pulled up okay from the race. The beer tasted good last night :)