The last movie you've last watched last

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Lion - Extended Edition/Director's cut. I think having seen trailers ruined the exposition for me. It was good but not shattering.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Finished off the Millennium Trilogy. The Girl Who Played with fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. I thought Hornets' Nest was better but it relies on the second one for context. Understandably, they have more of a TV movie feel rather than cinema.

Beej1

Finished off the Millennium Trilogy.
I'm one of the minority who liked Fincher's version (of the first film) better. Rooney Mara as Lisbeth kicked it out of the park. Sadly, we'll never get to see her close it out.

Apparently they're making a film out of the 4th book Girl in the Spider's Web with while new cast.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I'm one of the minority who liked Fincher's version (of the first film) better. Rooney Mara as Lisbeth kicked it out of the park. Sadly, we'll never get to see her close it out.

Apparently they're making a film out of the 4th book Girl in the Spider's Web with while new cast.
I still don't understand why Euro/scandi films need to be redone for the western world. Same with tv series, they just do it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beej1

I still don't understand why Euro/scandi films need to be redone for the western world. Same with tv series, they just do it better.

I have to admit, I've always found it difficult to both read the subtitles and see what is going on in the frame. I mean it's not impossible ... but it's not the same as just letting the ears do their thing while the eyes soak up all those pixels.

But I agree ... the scandi's do good TV and cinema. Bleak ... but good.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
It's all about getting good translations and subs that are timed right. Being a quick reader can ruin the delivery. It's easier to write witty lines than it is to translate to them.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That last transformers piece of shit.. Had free credits on fetch tv so just streamed it. So bad it's not even worth fast forwarding through to the robot fighting bits (which is what I did). The girl is hot and that's about it. Absolutely fkn woeful..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That last transformers piece of shit.. Had free credits on fetch tv so just streamed it. So bad it's not even worth fast forwarding through to the robot fighting bits (which is what I did). The girl is hot and that's about it. I knew it would be crap but this time it was absolutely fkn woeful...

Switch

huskier headed gent
Watched the Godfather and the Godfather II in successive nights. Films that I have never seen that are always raved about, it was great to put into context so many one liners. The Godfather holds up really well for a film made in 1972. I actually enjoyed the first more than the second which is at odds with common opinion but could have just been due to a bit of an overdose after just short of 6.5 hours of Mafia goodness.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Merican audience.

They can't believe a character unless that character is Tom Cruise, being portrayed by Tom Cruise.

Pretty much every Hollywood movie of the last 30 years has been a rip-of.......err......remake of a foreign movie.

Hell, look at their TV, the office, Kathy n Kim, Wilfred. Quite good, but very specific comedies. Very, very poorly translated into American, because they just don't understand the source material, they just see the success in the domestic market.

Beej1

Hell, look at their TV, the office, Kathy n Kim, Wilfred. Quite good, but very specific comedies. Very, very poorly translated into American, because they just don't understand the source material, they just see the success in the domestic market.
I'm not the biggest fan of nor watch any incarnation of The Office (there are 9), but given the US version is 9 seasons and over 200 episodes strong and broadcast into way more markets than any of the others ... I'd say it's success is greater than just domestic.

But I agree ... a lot of (or most) other US conversions have been very, very poor and suitably canned.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I'm not the biggest fan of nor watch any incarnation of The Office (there are 9), but given the US version is 9 seasons and over 200 episodes strong and broadcast into way more markets than any of the others ... I'd say it's success is greater than just domestic.

But I agree ... a lot of (or most) other US conversions have been very, very poor and suitably canned.
US television rights holders are notorious for forcing the purchase of unwanted programs by withholding the rights to sought after properties. Very similar to the MS DOS sales model IBM was duped into accepting.

Suckcess is by no means an indication of quality in or from, the US market.

Take Chipotle restaurants, motor vehicles, Alvin and the Chipmunks-Chip Wrecked, any Madonna album, and anything Donald Trump has done, ever, for example. FFS, the emoji movie made $216 million, and that was the cinematic equivalent of using the liberal application of fire ants to treat genital warts.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
personal opinion, usually I dislike US versions of shows, but for me the UK version of the office, even though the original, irritated the hell out of me, but the US version I thought was a complete crack up... but then I don't like ricky Gerv-whatisname.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Double featured Sherlock Holmes and the sequel A Game of Shadows. Average but there's some interesting unique stylistic elements. I think the second was the slightly better of the two.

Not movies but there is no need for another thread.

Watched a Netflix series "The Sinner", was pretty good and the first season of "Stranger Things".

Now there is a doco called Worm Wood about the CIA testing LSD on people, reckon I'll give that a try.