The logic behind dinner plate's, 50t+ cassette's

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Honestly, if the hills too steep to ride up in that it's time to hop off anyway cos it'll be faster
pretty sure in the golden goat couple yrs ago i jumped off at the 4.5hr mark on that steep climb up out the back, walked past one of the old 3hr riders still riding

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I ride a lot and am reasonably fit, but I'm in my 60's, and both knees and my left hip are shot... so no cranking for me. I need an actual granny gear, as I much prefer to ride it if possible, no matter how slow, than get off and walk. I'm not racing, and don't care about how fast I can walk, I'd just rather stay riding if I could.

My new 27.5" wheeled bike came as 1x12 and 34/50 was not low enough, so I swapped the 34 for a 30, and that is ok. But if I could of had it as a 2x10 with 32/22 chain-rings and 11/36 cassette, I would have jumped at it. We ride our 2x bikes as if they are 1x, only dropping to the 22 when it's really steep, then shifting back to the 32 the moment you clear the pinch. The one thing that I do love about the 1x is being able to use a front shifter (thanks Plank) to operate the dropper.

Anyway, for me now, it all about staying uninjured enough to ride into old age as long as possible... which means spinning, not cranking.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I have a 42 on the HT, and a 46 on the full sus, because that's what they came with. If I had a dinner plate I would use it, on occasions.

For new riders, building strength and fitness, they would be perfect.

For older riders, allowing them to continue riding rather than not, they would be perfect.

For the majority of other riders, just wanting to get another run in when they are cooked, they would be perfect.

TLDR I don't have one, but if I did it would get some use.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I run a 32T ring with 11-46 11 speed XT cassette on the 29er Primer and that's good for pretty much anything unless I am really farked, or there's a super extended steep grind. I do get a fair bit of use out of the 46T, although in comparison to many other places I've ridden you are often made to earn your descents in Tasmania.

On the 27.5 Cotic Rocket I also use a 32T ring but I recently chucked on an 11 speed 11-50 Sunrace cassette just for yucks and giggles, as it's a pretty slack monster truck so figured some extra assistance on the uphill stuff mightn't go astray. To be honest most of the time I sit in the 42T cog as the 50T I find doesn't provide enough momentum to keep spinning easily, unless the climbing terrain is really technical and rough. When I've worn it out I reckon I'll go back to an 11-46.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Mate it was just your use of the word “ridiculous” twice in your initial post that got my eyes rolling especially since it appears you hAvnt tried a dinner plate except for at the table.
why is it ridiculous? Seems to work quite well for a lot of people for reasons stated here already. And for people that used to ride 2x as well.
so must be something in it I guess.

and no I “don’t need a dinner plate” but I sure appreciated the extra range when the going got tough. Give my knees and shit back a couple of more years and in all probability I’ll be going dinner plate.
Fair enough, valid point. They do look ridiculous though, it's hard to argue that.

My question to all is "At what point is the ratio "too high" though" if you're running 30/32-50t then at some stage you'd be faster walking?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Fair enough, valid point. They do look ridiculous though, it's hard to argue that.

My question to all is "At what point is the ratio "too high" though" if you're running 30/32-50t then at some stage you'd be faster walking?
But when you're walking, you're not riding. I like to ride.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yes walking is not riding, speed is not everything. I've had to walk once on this bike in the year I've had it. But so did my fitter mate with 2x10, was a firetrail from hell.

I think I just adjusted to the harder gears and it didn't bother my knees, and my bike already hates the chainline in 1st so I think a 46 would mean new chain, and may exaggerate the chainline issue?

It also seems a nice sweet spot for powering over uphill obstacles, where really low granny can leave you teetering a bit.

Jpez

Down on the left!

Yeah but like anything new you get used them.
I see bikes running old 9/10 speed and they look weird to me.
same as giant rotors. Among my group 200-180 rotors are the norm. I see a bike running 160’s and something looks missing! :)

I think Lazmos point above is a good one. He’d rather keep riding. On the bike. Me too.
I hate jumping off and walking.
for my whinch and plummet style of riding dinner plates are a godsend up those fire roads but I also found the 50th really useful on a sudden pinch climb with rocks to clear at the top.
I could clear them. Not something I could do as easy or well with my current 42.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That's when you go and fit a bigger chainring. Better drivetrain efficiency and depending on how the suspension linkage is designed, can help there too.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Probably a question that can have many answers, people running shorter cranks, big wheels, heavy loaded pannier racks, sometimes it's fun just trying to challenge yourself to clear a section of rocks on a steep incline without trying to dab your feet on the ground, it's like a challenge within a challenge to break up the otherwise boring climb to descend again.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
as I previously commented I love low gears so have side by side 32/26 NW front rings + 11-40 , I know I should use a front derailleur but have my reasons to change the NW gear by hand from 26 to 32 at the top of the hill and use the 26 in very technical rolling stuff and up hills.
Never falls off or rattles too much

gillyske

Likes Dirt
this thread got my questioning my whole set up or if I just ride incorrectly.

I've never used my 11t cog on my cassette, I'm not sure that I touch the bottom 3 cogs most rides at all. Maybe I could go down to a 30t or 28t chain ring... oh man this is a rabbit hole.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
10-50 eagle here with a 32 front on 27.5. I use all the gears... The 50 even sees action on smooth not so steep ascents when I’m just rooted and am happy to slowly chug up. 10 rear on a 32 will spin out on fire roads, but is plenty fast enough for the fast descents at Stromlo etc, and my old knees enjoy the 50.

I wouldn’t run anything less now.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I think Lazmos point above is a good one. He’d rather keep riding. On the bike. Me too.
I hate jumping off and walking.
I do too, I really try hard to hang on up a slow and difficult climb. It doesn't always work out and frequently will lose traction and spin out over needed a lower gear. I am just stubborn and nailing a climb no dabs is a win for me.

My granny gear is pretty slow though but I'm not walking it.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I run 32 front and 11-42 rear (11 speed) on my 29er. It was more than enough in Perth, but since I've moved back to Tassie I've been wishing for a lower granny. I've just bought a 30 for the front, and will probably replace the chain and cassette shortly with an 11-46.

My 26" hardtail ran a 34 front with an 11-34 (10 speed) in Perth and was used as both a commuter and with a wheel swap did 40km day rides. It was a little frustrating, but I could live with it. Started commuting in Tassie with it and I hated it. It now has a 32 front and an 11-42 cassette. The only time I've wanted lower was when I towed my daughter up our hill to our house (very steep).

I've had knee reconstructions and years of soccer, rollerblading and opening the bowling have taken their toll. Bring on the granny!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

That’s a good question, and the faster walking aspect is a fair point although some prefer riding as already mentioned. With Eagle and a 32t ring, i find I’m getting close to the limits of traction on loose surfaces. Does anyone run dinner plates with oval chainrings to help in this respect?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah Suggests you could manage a smaller front or you never access fire roads?

I've never used my 11t cog on my cassette, I'm not sure that I touch the bottom 3 cogs most rides at all. Maybe I could go down to a 30t or 28t chain ring... oh man this is a rabbit hole.
[/QUOTE]

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Yeah Suggests you could manage a smaller front or you never access fire roads?

Only fireroads I use go up hill.
28T front and 52T in the rear, it'd be the bikes at the gym.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have had more than a few times when I've been slogging away in the 50t and tried to shift again for an extra gear.

I look at it like a tradesman, If you have the tools, you will use them.