The manky banshee.

moorey

call me Mia
I ran a 200x51 for a week while CCDBA was away for service. I didn’t really notice the reduction in travel, but it was a crappy RP23, so the ride wasn’t as nice.
I went to bang a 190mm in this on the weekend. Everything would have ample clearance, aside from a front derailleur cable guide down near DT/BB junction. I was going to grind it off. Chickened out. :(

As to a comparison...they’d still feel like banshees...which is a good thing. Phantom is a bit steeper in the HA, even when over forked. Will know more when I get a 130 in there...but really like it with the 160 :oops:

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I didn’t think it was possible to ruin hope/stans hoops. I was wrong.
I'm gonna have to kind of agree with you on that one lol. They are certainly light and fast but they require constant retensioning and are pretty flexy.

But hey, the hubs are solid

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well built Hope/Crests are awesome
I give them a pretty hard time. Haven't dinged them yet but i usually had a loose spoke or two after a race when I was running them on my hardtail. Less issues when I moved to the Turner. Built by CRC so make of that what you will.

But I've ridden around Mooreys stomping grounds a few times and I'd say XC/trail tyres would be the go to for that kind of terrain. Although with how dry and dusty it is at the moment I can see the case for bigger knob heights.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was a month ago for the Shifty. But I'm down that way for work quite a bit and all I've heard is how dry it is. Similar to here I guess, just no rain.

So I can only imagine how loose some of those trails have gotten in the meantime.

I'm still up for a guided tour one day though

PJO

in me vL comy
I went to bang a 190mm in this on the weekend. Everything would have ample clearance, aside from a front derailleur cable guide down near DT/BB junction. I was going to grind it off. Chickened out.
Do you mean there wasn't clearance when fully compressed? Or extended?
If compression was the problem, were you trying a 7.5x2.0 (190x51)?
There is a metric size 190x45 with virtually the same stroke as the 7.25x1.75 (184x44) that is spec'd for the Phantom. Have you tried that? Should raise the BB near 10mm...

moorey

call me Mia
Do you mean there wasn't clearance when fully compressed? Or extended?
If compression was the problem, were you trying a 7.5x2.0 (190x51)?
There is a metric size 190x45 with virtually the same stroke as the 7.25x1.75 (184x44) that is spec'd for the Phantom. Have you tried that? Should raise the BB near 10mm...
Extended. Will have no issue compressed.
Planning to grind it off off if I find a bargain shock. Sold off a 190 CCDBA not long ago as it didn’t suit the Five :(
BB height will be ideal, and not fussed about a little more travel.
Work in progress.
Thanks mate.

PJO

in me vL comy
Planning to grind it off off if I find a bargain shock. Sold off a 190 CCDBA not long ago
Ah, bugger on two fronts.
I think I can see the problem, Spitfire has the same cable stops, the one in the middle of the BB looks like it would foul, the one near the ISCG mounts looks like it would clear...

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Planning to grind it off off if I find a bargain shock. Sold off a 190 CCDBA not long ago as it didn’t suit the Five :(
BB height will be ideal, and not fussed about a little more travel.
Work in progress.
Thanks mate.
What shock size and type are you looking for? If it's 190 x 50 then I have 3 ranging for $75 for a new Sr Suntour duair, $100 for a Fox float Evol performance and $150 for a fox float Evol factory. The duair has a really flat spring curve with the foxes having a first 30% progressive then the last 70% regressive.