The mid life crisis bike

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Realising I was getting old last year I decided to do the logical thing...build a DJ bike.

Partly to keep off muddy trails in "winter" & partly an eejit

It's actually quite fun

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Weight and if your smooth you can get away with it.

Don't you remember when fox xc forks were common on dj bikes?

If your smooth or not going big, it makes sense to run something appropriate intead of clapping a 2odd kg dj3 to the front of your bike.
I reckon i might try my reba rlt ti's lowered to 80mm for dj duties. 2kg argyle seems silly.

This bike looks so rad.

Last edited:

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Looks good! I did a similar thing a year or so ago and build up a 24" bmx! It's good fun to ride and building it up was probably just as much fun!

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought this was going to be a colnago with super record. lol.
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm a bit too far gone to start shaving my legs.

This is my kind of crisis! Looks like a lot of fun. Why the skinny forks though?
Forks are 1st gen 831s. I won't be suddenly going huge, just pissing about on bitumen when the trails are too muddy.

scblack

Leucocholic
Don't need to the shave legs. I'm mid life - mid 40s. I have a Cinelli with Super Record. No shaving will be happening for me.

But I also have an Intense Slopestyle2. I like my bikes.

I like your DJ bike too, very nice.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

If your smooth or not going big, it makes sense to run something appropriate intead of clapping a 2odd kg dj3 to the front of your bike.
I reckon i might try my reba rlt ti's lowered to 80mm for dj duties. 2kg argyle seems silly.

This bike looks so rad.
Being a bit of a larger rider, I tend to fear weight weenie on jumps. Perhaps unjustified, but a risk I don't want. So it often catches me by surprise when I see others doing it. Preconditioning I guess.

Forks are 1st gen 831s. I won't be suddenly going huge, just pissing about on bitumen when the trails are too muddy.
Start shaving those legs...the ladies love it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
It is nerve wracking looking down and seeing 9mm quick release dropouts and skinny stanchions when your used to fox 36's, but its surprising how much crap forks can take. 831's though aren't a skinny xc fork, they're pretty full on. I used to lust after them so bad when they first came out.

Its good seeing some more dj bikes on rotorburn. The scene seems to have died in the arse abit. Bmx too.

Or maybe im just old and outta the loop :noidea:

Edit: abit of research later and yup, fox 831 shares the same chassis as every other 32 fox fork. Just valving is different.

The things you learn!

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
Don't need to the shave legs. I'm mid life - mid 40s. I have a Cinelli with Super Record. No shaving will be happening for me.

But I also have an Intense Slopestyle2. I like my bikes.
I'm mid 40's too. I liked your SS2 thread, and your cinelli with super record wasn't your first bike though, which was where I was going, rather than having a go at people who like bikes in general. There was some nutritional columnist in the herald on sunday who instead of saying she went cycling once a week said she rode her colnago once a week, which is where I based that comment from. I'm stripping my slopestyle2 to put the XX1 on a 29er, so I'm off on a new trend myself. Last week though I put a lot of small cuts on the front of my shins, and after getting frustrated with hair and band-aids, got the clippers out and gave my lower legs a mullet, which is ironically awesome.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm mid 40's too. I liked your SS2 thread, and your cinelli with super record wasn't your first bike though, which was where I was going, rather than having a go at people who like bikes in general. There was some nutritional columnist in the herald on sunday who instead of saying she went cycling once a week said she rode her colnago once a week, which is where I based that comment from. I'm stripping my slopestyle2 to put the XX1 on a 29er, so I'm off on a new trend myself. Last week though I put a lot of small cuts on the front of my shins, and after getting frustrated with hair and band-aids, got the clippers out and gave my lower legs a mullet, which is ironically awesome.
No problem from me, I really was kind of agreeing with you on the super record comment.

Zam

Likes Dirt
I'm going through something similar, but going to be getting a freestyle BMX, just something to stuff around on with my boy an head down to the skate park park with and relive some of my youth....hahaha

Now i just need to find something suitable second hand a close to where i live.....

stinky1138

Likes Dirt

This bike looks so rad.
That would be the lightest DJ3 on record :lol: They start at like 3kg... Argyles are stupid heavy too, I've never understood why all the defence of them when they're not light (argyle r is 2.4kg) and don't ride any differently (to me) to a DJ2. 831s are light--er than most...but now the new ones are only 36s and the weight isn't even listed >< The 32 831, Circus expert and an xc float are all about 1.7-1.9kg.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going through something similar, but going to be getting a freestyle BMX, just something to stuff around on with my boy an head down to the skate park park with and relive some of my youth....hahaha

Now i just need to find something suitable second hand a close to where i live.....
Yeah, exactly where I'm at.

Unfortunately, while I was taking forever to build this from the limited SH parts market here the fun police came & took the half pipe away which was about 400m down the road. Couple of other parks around a bit further afield though.

A BMX or even cruiser would be ideal & a good bit cheaper. Good luck with it, it'll be a good laugh for yourself & the kid.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Cheers,

Yeah i live about 5 mins from a pretyt decent skate park, so thats very handy, especially now heading into winter months, just gotta be patient and find a decent bike, geesh BMXs have changed since i was last in the market for one, hahaha.