The Mont24 Hr - 2011, Mt Kowan

I love the mont

The mont was the first race i ever did (as a magnificent team of 10) in 2005. It is generally one of the last races of the season. So why do i dress up...
To celebrate the end of summer training and racing.
To swap the Go Hard Cans for Go Easy.
To give you all the big finger of I Ride Awesome Without Lycra!
To chat to other normal MTBers in the track trains.
To absorb the scenery along the way (metaphoricaly speaking).
To get free gu. FREE GU!!!
To brighten up the mood when things start getting hard.
And i cant get away with being rude.

My favourite part was the downhill bit after the rain. Wwwwhhhhheeeeeeee.

rangie

Likes Dirt
pics

Same ol same ol, nothing special about the pics. mediocre even :(

Guess we are spoiled by sportograph at the scott

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Same ol same ol, nothing special about the pics. mediocre even :(

Guess we are spoiled by sportograph at the scott
Agreed 100% - mine are rubbish -dissapointed. Only 4 too, I remember heaps of 'auto' styles captures that arent there. Guess they either sucked too much to put online if its time to spend half a day in the unidentified bin.

FYI - there is A LOT of photos in the unidentified group. I'm not really sure why so many - simply because a lot have pretty clear numbers on them.

Last edited:

tegski

Likes Dirt
Not sure re the marketing model - $47.95 for 8 photos…Sportograph has a better idea of cheaper prices for the photo packs…and probably get more uptake because of it. I bought the sportograph, but will not be buying these - too expensive for me.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
It'd be really good if they could divide the unidentified photos up into location and time taken... then you could use approximate lap times to search for possibles....

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
It'd be really good if they could divide the unidentified photos up into location and time taken... then you could use approximate lap times to search for possibles....
Yeah exactly - they're losing money because of it. Its just an absolute nightmare wading through 1000's of random photos looking at tiny thumbnails :(

After spending a bit of time looking through the unidentified shots, ive changed my tune a little. There are some great shots, but in so so many the number plates are either obscured or washed out by the sun or flash. I know its hard, but really the main criteria they have, is to product photos that are identifiable, so the masses can buy pics of themselves. Sucks for them and for us.

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
go through the unidentified photos. I found a couple of mine in the first few pages.. mind you, there are thousands in there... Alot of the auto night camera pics are in there.
I gave up and will search for more at work monday! :)
Doh, I didn't even notice that link, thanks spike. Now the painfully slow process of dealing with auroras slow site and trying to identify myself on a tiny thumbnail. The photos from the vic dirtworks you could search for stuff like helmet, bike, fork shirt colour

Last edited:

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
approximatly 6150 pics in the unidentified section, at say 5 secs per pic, about 8.30 hours to view each one. I think I have better things to do on Sunday.

jarv

Likes Bikes
I can understand $50 is a lot for 4 photos.I wouldnt do it.I guess its the luck of the draw.I was lucky enough to get 10 good photos whereas at the scott i only got 4.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Much cheaper photos

A guy from my old club is doing photo's now... Just found out at the Mont. http://korndogmtb.com/

From his site:
Sign up now for just $25/yr and start downloading your race photos for FREE! You can download up to 20 photos per event for 12 months.
Additional photos for an event can be purchased for $1 per photo.

Not sure what his coverage in terms of time on track is, but thats a great deal. He was at the Mont, but was saying that with Ourimbah this weekend it might take a bit to get his files sorted.
* I'm not on a commission etc etc, but feel free to send me a cheque Kornie!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Agreed 100% - mine are rubbish -dissapointed. Only 4 too, I remember heaps of 'auto' styles captures that arent there. Guess they either sucked too much to put online if its time to spend half a day in the unidentified bin.

FYI - there is A LOT of photos in the unidentified group. I'm not really sure why so many - simply because a lot have pretty clear numbers on them.
Aurora are working on something for the unidentified ones so hopefully in the next few days it'll be heaps easier to find your photos. Not sure what they are working but a few people have put in feedback that there's too many unidentified to search so they are working on fixing that.

As for the visible numbers, perhaps they have number recognition in their software which isn't quite human perfect but lets them get the photos up quicker?

I think comparing Aurora to Sportograd is a little unfair, sportograf are a huge company than do a lot more than just mtb events. I'm sure they have software, hardware and manpower way beyond what most aussie companies have.

Aurora are pretty good, I didn't realise how good until the DW100 NSW last year when some other company took photos are they really work shocking and super expensive. Sportograf are in another world but Aurora generally do pretty well too.

Sometimes it is just luck tho, this time I got 15 photos from 6 laps... sure fire way of getting more photos is to do more laps ;-) but there's only one photo from one lap yet 3 or 4 from another so there's other factors in play.

So far I'd say Aurora haven't quite got the same standard of shots they did last year at the Mont when they worked some great angles and light.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Aurora are working on something for the unidentified ones so hopefully in the next few days it'll be heaps easier to find your photos...
Yeah the more i look at the unidentified ones, the more it seems absurd they're 'unidentified'. A lot have perfectly clear numbers.

What disappointed me more about Aurora isn't the photography, its their site, and the lack of ability to do any sort of searching aside from "here's 3000+ images that are tiny, have fun! best of luck!"

The one thing that would make finding shots of yourself so much easier, even if your plate is obscured, is time searching. You know you were out between 5-6pm, so filter based on that. And you know what? They have that data! Of course they do, all digital shots do. Even the ones they've resized and watermarked do, e.g

http://www.auroraimages.com.au/gallery/events/mtb/mt11/MT11Q_2717.JPG

Date Created = 2011/04/09
Time Created = 17:46:50+10:00

Pretty simple. Anyway i hope they get a lot of the unidentified sorted, for their sake.

preemo

Likes Dirt
Yeah the more i look at the unidentified ones, the more it seems absurd they're 'unidentified'. A lot have perfectly clear numbers.

What disappointed me more about Aurora isn't the photography, its their site, and the lack of ability to do any sort of searching aside from "here's 3000+ images that are tiny, have fun! best of luck!"

The one thing that would make finding shots of yourself so much easier, even if your plate is obscured, is time searching. You know you were out between 5-6pm, so filter based on that. And you know what? They have that data! Of course they do, all digital shots do. Even the ones they've resized and watermarked do, e.g

http://www.auroraimages.com.au/gallery/events/mtb/mt11/MT11Q_2717.JPG

Date Created = 2011/04/09
Time Created = 17:46:50+10:00

Pretty simple. Anyway i hope they get a lot of the unidentified sorted, for their sake.
Agree

The search is poor, the quality of the unidentified is poor so its hard to quickly tell who is who. The photo's this year are significantly poorer than last year.

Message to the Mont organisers - get them to significantly lift their game or get someone else next year.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I've noticed one more photo comes up for me now when i search for my number. I'd assume like pinkbike said, they're in the process of trying to identify more photos from the unidentified bucked.

So yeah if you've looked already id look again :cool:

Oh wow, found in the unidentified list:

Last edited:

hipdos

Likes Bikes
I actually have some great photos in there, about 10 so far. So I'm going to buy the $50 package, but I'm also thinking I can't do that until this unidentified photos thing gets sorted. But I might still have to go through 1000s of photos by the sound of it. And what about all those thumbnails that are just a watermark and you have to open them to see them, which takes about 10 seconds a pop.

Maybe I should just buy the ones that are already identified and be happy with that. But maybe there is a really good one in the unidentified section.

Am I making this too complicated or are they?