The Moo

cabbo

Likes Dirt
This morning, Trail Care with representatives of Ku-ring-gai council met to discuss the popular downhill track adjacent Warrimoo oval.

Various options and challenges were discussed, and Council will provide their decision to Trail Care in writing in the next couple of weeks.

In the event that Council are not prepared to consider various options formalisation of the Warrimoo facility, Trail Care is prepared to collaborate closely with Council toward identification and provision of a facility that would provide an equal or better riding experience to the large existing users group.

At a policy level, Trail Care is heavily opposed to the closure of any MTB facility. Riders particularly gravity riders, have precious few locations in Sydney. Furthermore, past experiences with other Sydney Councils has not led to any example of where a displaced rider user group were provided any sort of suitable replacement. However we have no reason to have anything other than full confidence in the ability of Ku-ring-Gai to deliver where others have consistently failed.

Regards
Dr Simon Kean

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
A big thanks to all those involved with the construction of and advocacy for this trail. The Moo is a place that I have always had the best intentions of riding but have never made the time to get there and it will end up ranking pretty high on my list of regrets if it does get closed.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In 2010, official council documents set out a strategic decision to have this trail formalized (see page 15 here: http://www.kmc.nsw.gov.au/files/b5f...ff/Unstructured_Recreation_strategy_final.pdf).

The riding community can not, and will not, stand for the closure of another facility in absence of an actual replacement (i.e. a replacement that provides an equal or better rider experience). Council have an opportunity here to work with riders collaboratively towards a sensible productive outcome. If that doesn't pan out, we can't afford to go away quietly.

jrewing

Eats Squid
That cunt of a council just voted to shut down the kids minibike club at st Ives oval on the grounds of enviro bullshit.
It's been there over 40 yrs

Good luck dealing with the snakes at that council. You will need it

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats the plan ?
The plan is unfolding. It's starting out fairly low-key and quiet. But there's a contingency to make it all very public and loud if necessary.

However, quite aside from "the plan", there'll be a big ride day and BBQ this coming Saturday (6th of May) and we hope to see loads of people there. There's be some local kids working on a documentary, and stuff like that. Should be fun.

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
I have ridden this trail on occasion over the years and it would really be a tragedy to see it go. Big props to those fighting and a huge thanks to Marty for all his work over the years. As with all those trail builders that put in so much work and welcome everyone, you have my respect. Look forward to Saturday.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Do you have some email addresses handy so we can write to the councilors?

cabbo

Likes Dirt
Thanks bikesarefun

The plan is unfolding. It's starting out fairly low-key and quiet. But there's a contingency to make it all very public and loud if necessary.

However, quite aside from "the plan", there'll be a big ride day and BBQ this coming Saturday (6th of May) and we hope to see loads of people there. There's be some local kids working on a documentary, and stuff like that. Should be fun.
Thanks bikesarefun.. There is a plan unfolding, and although we, "gravity riders" seem to have always found our slice of this MTB sport, always wondering how long are trails will be safe from being taken away from us.. If we can just stay positive because our rights are being heard.
l would like too say many thanks too Trail Care who has been working hard researching through so many levels that does give us more leverage, so, as bikesarefun has pointed out, there is a contingency plan, but for now enjoyment is the key for the ride day.
Please look out for all riding or walking the trails, please keep to trails and keep out of bushland. Consideration for all sports around the area, l don't wish to sound like the enforcer, it's just is what it is..

Snit

Likes Bikes
It's pretty obvious where this is heading, the narrow minded Greenies & Co don't realize it now, but they are creating a monster. Instead of giving riders access to these two tiny bits of land (The Moo & Oxy), they will ban mountain bikers and think they have had a victory. But it will only result in illegal trails popping up everywhere and no one will give two f@#ks about doing the right thing anymore.

Link

Likes Dirt
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but in the long term a push-run DH track is never going to be as popular or well used as a proper trail with shuttle access. Wouldn't it be better to concede this one to the council and work with them to get approval for a trail on steeper land that can be shuttled?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but in the long term a push-run DH track is never going to be as popular or well used as a proper trail with shuttle access. Wouldn't it be better to concede this one to the council and work with them to get approval for a trail on steeper land that can be shuttled?
Sure. But we've learned an important lesson over the years: don't concede a trail until the replacement actually exists.

Link

Likes Dirt
Sure. But we've learned an important lesson over the years: don't concede a trail until the replacement actually exists.
Sure - the only problem is that replacements do already exist on the Northern beaches. They're just not legalised, yet. They are also well known to the council and there have been similar reports commissioned which note MTB development as a high priority in these areas - but also that existing trails should be shut down etc. I think you know the place I'm referring to.

All I'm saying is that in your negotiations with the council please think big picture. The council may have limited good will to spread around the DH MTB community. It'd be a sad day indeed if certain other DH trails with better terrain and shuttle access were closed and the council's response was "well we gave you Warrimoo, what are you complaining about...".

DeBloot

Feeling old
It's pretty obvious where this is heading, the narrow minded Greenies & Co don't realize it now, but they are creating a monster. Instead of giving riders access to these two tiny bits of land (The Moo & Oxy), they will ban mountain bikers and think they have had a victory. But it will only result in illegal trails popping up everywhere and no one will give two f@#ks about doing the right thing anymore.
This ^^^^

And excluding MTB bars the people that care and leaves it open to those that don't
Rubbish dumpers, 4WD'ers etc etc

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Does anyone know if there are any minutes of the meeting where council decided to bulldoze Moo? I'm trying to find something, but there's no reference to anything on Ku-ring-gai council's website. Doesn't surprise me, as they'd prefer to keep things quiet.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Has anything been done to protest this council decision? Was there anyone at the council meeting representing mountain bikers? Why has an online petition been generated?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You'll hear a lot more in the next few days.

Rather than wasting time with an online petition, TrailCare will be putting forward a strategy in which the riding community can participate, which will be much more effective in reaching the relevant decision makers.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
80+ people rocked up yesterday to send her off in a big way. Marty was stoked to see everyone there, good day had by all. Spotters down the whole track to warn anyone coming up/riding down, music and a bbq up top. Tops day, really good to see everyone having a good time celebrating that place. Couple video's popped up after, here's Staggsy's vid from yesterday. Rode from dusk till dawn, amazing day.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/410904/[/video]

T.3

Likes Dirt
Legend is an overused title but Marty truly is one. Thanks for all the hard work you put in to give the riding community such a great trail. I've had some of the funnest, most memorable times of my life here. This place progressed my riding more than everywhere else combined. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. Thank you.