The MRP Ribbon Coil thread

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, I've just ordered one of these, 27.5 170mm. Review to come in the next few weeks.
Paid $1400 through my local bike shop. Coming off a 160 pike with a Luftkappe.
If the upgrade is as big going to from air to coil in the rear, I'll be happy.

Better be worth it!

Attachments

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
https://www.bikebrew.com.au/collections/mrp-bikes/products/ribboncoil

You got touched mate. They charged you $100 more than the Aussie RRP.

What made you go with the Ribbon in the end over the Cane Creek, Ohlins or Push Fox36/Pike/Lyric/Yari?
Wish women would touch me :(
Haha, there is $35 freight on bike brews price and I was happy to pay a little more and support my local, they always help me out with annoying shit :)
Canecreek would of been an option but their coil forks top out at 160mm. Not sure on the Ohlins, never really looked at them. But MRP seem on a roll and the weight penalty was minimal.
P.S just did some searching, not sure the Ohlins coil comes in 27.5?

Z

Zaf

What bike are you installing it onto?
Interested hear about the Ribbon's Chassis feel. I've heard from other reviews that stiffness wise it's on par with a Pike rather than your Lyric/Fox36 kind of offerings.

BikeBrew are onto it! Wouldn't feel any guilt using them, but completely understand going with the LBS. Different circumstances make a big impact, out here in Alice the LBS's generally tack on postage costs to everything and price gouge, so the savings are significant for going elsewhere (it doesn't take me much to swallow a 20Euro postage cost out of Germany and come in under LBS quotes).

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And to answer a previous message, I did look at the push options to make the 36 a coil, but thought instead of stuffing round trying to retro fit something I'd cut out the middle man and get something done at the factory.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate I'm looking seriously at the ACS3 for my new build on the Wrecker but keen to hear your thoughts on these. I'm leaning towards having PUSH on the front and back but I'm convinced yet so keeping an open mind..... for once.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 170 Coil came in today, I was sweating it a bit given the holidays are a day away!
Need to switch to the soft spring, I doubt I'll get a ride in over the weekend as our shop is trading both Sat and Sunday, but hopefully Tuesday I'll get a spin.
Looks nice :)

Attachments

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks good keen to hear your thoughts. As an aside I assume no one has any problems seeing you coming on that thing mate!!!!

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks good keen to hear your thoughts. As an aside I assume no one has any problems seeing you coming on that thing mate!!!!
Haha, I like bright bikes. People have plenty of time to see me coming as I go so slow haha.
I'll put a mini review Tuesday if I get out :)

It comes with Medium installed, and soft and hard in the box. There are extra soft and extra hard available.
You can special order it with whatever spring you want installed.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Swapped out the medium spring this morning as I'm 75kgs and that puts me on the soft spring. Only second time pulling a fork apart but went better than expected. Quick ride down some stairs hasn't revealed any mind blows, my pike w/luftkappe seemed as plush, but that was probably a result of running stupid low pressure to get small bump compliance that would result in no midstroke support, so maybe on the trails this coil fork will show its hand being soft off the top, but supportive as the travel goes deeper. Time will tell
If the shop is quiet tomorrow arvo will try to sneak out for a spin, if so will do a mini first impression report.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, first ride in on the 170mm Ribbon Coil 27.5.

The coil is definitely an improvement over the pike but I need more time on it. Im 75kgs and running the light spring, it felt great on the deeper hits, and felt wwwaayyyyy better during repeated hits, but it still felt a little stiff off the top (on small roots etc). Seemed to really come alive on the high speed rough stuff, whilst the track was pretty tame, I was running no ramp and I still had an Inch or so of travel left so will take it to a more DH track and see how much travel I use. It was only a small ride, I’ll get another one in the next couple of days.

I’m tempted to try a x-soft spring and see how it feels. But not sure if I’ll just go down the Pike route of compromising mid stroke for small bump.
And for the record, they fit a 2.8 minion easy as (last photo). Not sure what the rim width was.
So overall impression was good, but hoping I can get them get better

Attachments

Z

Zaf

Do you notice any difference in the chassis of the fork between the Ribbon and the Pike? I take it at 75kg you're not a huge fork flexer, but still interested to know.
Also, how well does the Ribbon damper resist brake diver?
It's one thing that I noticed hugely going to the Durolux over the Fox36's/Pikes, the Durolux stands far taller without negatively affecting quality or comfort.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, I'm sold on this fork. I've got 3 XC rides on it and 2 days shuttling. The stiffness of the top is gone, maybe the seals just needed to wear in. I think the draw backs I had with the Pike were of my own making, running a lower pressure to get small bumps nice and smooth, and as such, it would dive under braking and pack down on the high speed stuff. That is all gone with this fork and it now feels just as good as the Pike on the small bumps, rides high in the travel, takes repeated big hits so well, it's just so plush, smooth and controlled, I don't think I could ask more of a fork. I can't wait to pair it with a Nomad 4 or a Firebird, that shit will be unstoppable.

I'm leaning towards not trying the lighter spring, but I'll get a price and see if it's worth having a play around with it.
I never found the Pike flexy, maybe I just wasn't heavy enough, but I haven't felt any flex with this fork, it feels stiff as. But going off the Pinkbike review of the Air Ribbon, they say its more inline with a Pike's stiffness then a 36 or Lyrik. But I haven't had any decent time on those forks to compare.

I'll keep updating this thread as I get more rides and possibly play around with the lightest spring, but id say if you are sitting on the fence just go for it, not much of a weight penalty for the performance increase!

Attachments

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
So, I'm sold on this fork. I've got 3 XC rides on it and 2 days shuttling. The stiffness of the top is gone, maybe the seals just needed to wear in. I think the draw backs I had with the Pike were of my own making, running a lower pressure to get small bumps nice and smooth, and as such, it would dive under braking and pack down on the high speed stuff. That is all gone with this fork and it now feels just as good as the Pike on the small bumps, rides high in the travel, takes repeated big hits so well, it's just so plush, smooth and controlled, I don't think I could ask more of a fork. I can't wait to pair it with a Nomad 4 or a Firebird, that shit will be unstoppable.

I'm leaning towards not trying the lighter spring, but I'll get a price and see if it's worth having a play around with it.
I never found the Pike flexy, maybe I just wasn't heavy enough, but I haven't felt any flex with this fork, it feels stiff as. But going off the Pinkbike review of the Air Ribbon, they say its more inline with a Pike's stiffness then a 36 or Lyrik. But I haven't had any decent time on those forks to compare.

I'll keep updating this thread as I get more rides and possibly play around with the lightest spring, but id say if you are sitting on the fence just go for it, not much of a weight penalty for the performance increase!
Any updates on the forks after a bit more riding?