The Mutt - DunCon Amstaff 2005

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I picked up the frame and fork in a Facebook ad. The seller had them in storage for ten years. The story being that they were given to him by a friend pro DH rider, who won the frame in a race.

This is Muttley, mocked up for a photo

Frame - Duncon Amstaff 4 cross/ freeride - 2005
Rear shock - Nope
Front shock/fork - Manitou Nixon 145 mm
Handlebars - Deity Black label 25 mm rise - 800 mm wide.
Stem - Norco DJ 40 mm (matt blacked)
Headset - Chris King
Grips - BBB black rubber lock-ons
Saddle - Selle Italia X1
Seatpost - Coda springer
Front brake - Avid BB 5 mechanical - Tektro Eclipse lever - 160 mm Avid rotor
Rear brake - Avid BB 5 mechanical - Tektro Eclipse lever - 160 mm Avid rotor
Cranks - Shimano SLX 175 mm
Chainguide - Blackspire C4 (just the outer - no tabs on frame)
Chain - unknown relic
Pedals - Odyssey Twisted
Front derailleur - no
Rear derailleur - Shimano LX 9 sp
Front shifter - no
Rear shifter - Shimano Deore
Cassette - Shimano 11-34 - 9 speed
Front hub - Norco 64
Rear hub - Norco 64
Front rim - Alienation PBR
Rear rim - Alienation PBR
Spokes - Stainless black
Nipples - not sure
Tyres - Kenda K-Rad 26 x 2.3
Tubes - Kenda
Total weight -

Attachments

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Ahem ..... Nixon .... I reckon she looks a lot better than the Norco. Feels better too. Slightly lower BB.

FigBo0T

DunCon (approx '02-'09) was a Polish company who built BMX, 4X, DJ, and freeride hardtails, and FS enduro and Downhill bikes, with frames named after dog breeds like Pitbull, Akita, Cane Corso, Tosa Inu, Presa Canario, and Amstaff. They also produced a Pussy, Cock, Cocker, and Pimp. The frames were designed by Jan Karpiel in Poland, and manufactured in "prestigious factories" in Taiwan.

This is 2006 presser from Pinkbike, detailing the range released to USA that year (and allegedly Australia too)

And an '09 article about the relaunch of Karpiel (I find this stuff interesting, your mileage may vary)

Some DunCon bikes I found on Pinkbike

Attachments

Last edited:

FigBo0T

17.8Kg of pure Huck hardtail. You could get a flat with those arrow tyres and not know. Also destroyed the inside of my both knees black..their last dual suspension design was frigging hidious, like a 99 stab only worse.
Nice Cock! It's a brutal looking thing.

Cocker? When did you own it?

The hideous .... Presa Canario

Attachments

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
yeah... Fcuk the Norco, this thing is heaps cooler.
I love my AM Hardtails but my wrists, back and spine do not!..(just recently swapped away my Transition Vagrant with Plankosaurus)

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
17.8Kg of pure Huck hardtail. You could get a flat with those arrow tyres and not know. Also destroyed the inside of my both knees black..their last dual suspension design was frigging hidious, like a 99 stab only worse.
That’s tidy. My beloved Imperial with a normal seat tube angle

FigBo0T

More blacker and single speeded
Changed rims for some black ones. Had a new seat & post laying around (strange markings) that I got for 10 bucks with a bunch of other stuff a few months ago. Surprisingly, It's more comfy than the Selle Italia. Blue Hope knob on a black Spesh front skewer to matchy-match the blue knob on the fork .... and a red R Hope skewer, so @moorey can't call my bike Hopeless.

The E.T looking steerer situation is starting to annoy me. Time to man up and cut the bastard ...... maybe tomorrow ..... :oops:
..... forks are begging for a matte blacking ....

Attachments

Last edited:

safreek

More blacker and single speeded
Changed rims for some black ones. Had a new seat & post laying around (strange markings) that I got for 10 bucks with a bunch of other stuff a few months ago. Surprisingly, It's more comfy than the Selle Italia. Blue Hope knob on a black Spesh front skewer to matchy-match the blue knob on the fork .... and a red R Hope skewer, so @moorey can't call my bike Hopeless.

The E.T looking steerer situation is starting to annoy me. Time to man up and cut the bastard ...... maybe tomorrow ..... :oops:
..... forks are begging for a matte blacking ....

View attachment 360105
Have to agree, I don't like chopping the steerer but sometimes it just makes sense