The 'My First Bike' Thread

AaronM

Likes Dirt
I haven’t been able to find a picture, but back in about 2003 I thought buying a bike would be cool. So a pair of “Royce Union” Dual Suspension Mountain Bikes appeared.

The plus was their all alloy construction.

The minus was everything else.

Despite being 26”, there wasn’t enough seat post length or bar height for me to sit comfortably on it (as it turns out in Bike sizing I’m an XL, and back then sizing didn’t exist in cheap bikes). We had a go but even in flat ground they were just hard work.

A couple of house moves later and we gave them to our postie. I guess I was expecting a bit much for $99 per bike.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There wasn't the money around then like there is now and prices of those bikes were quite expensive, I always wanted a Red Line and my friends had bikes like PK rippers and Gt's. Did you happen to get an Italian built Univega, I've always lusted for one of those ?
No , it was a Japanese one - long story short my uncle worked for Hanimex - he left ( in early 80’s ) and became the importer distributor for Centurion - at the time I lived in NW Sydney , went to school with some brother s who used to compete in the Tour ( de France ) they bought a bicycle shop ... the Univega was new and exciting at the time - perfect for what I wanted to use it for .
MTB when it started was different to road cycling - I used to do adventuring , travelling to buchwalk and explore .
Now I am reliving my youth - adventuring and exploring, just slower .

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I still remember my first big-kid bike. My Uncle bought it for my 5th birthday. Can't remember the brand, but it had curved down tubes, square knobs on the tyres and a banana seat. When I outgrew it, it went to live at my grandparents house and I remember sitting on the top of the backrest and flogging it around their yard. One visit I went to drag it out to learn it had been donated. I was crushed.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the BMX was a mongoose copy, can't remember the name anymore.
Jag ?

My first bike was a Malvern Star, 20" wheels, 3spd with a stick shifter on the curved top tube, big long seat, sissy bar, first MTB I rode was a Repco High Sierra. I remember well the buzz from hooning downhill on the fire road that crosses the Zig Zig scenic drive, the fat 26x1.75 tyres were awesome :D
The bike shop I later worked in had several converted Kos Cruisers with cantilever brakes and 1 x 6 drivetrains that I got to have a couple of rides on circa 1986/87. They were heavy AF but awesome fun to ride

Flow-Rider

Burner
Jag ?

My first bike was a Malvern Star, 20" wheels, 3spd with a stick shifter on the curved top tube, big long seat, sissy bar, first MTB I rode was a Repco High Sierra. I remember well the buzz from hooning downhill on the fire road that crosses the Zig Zig scenic drive, the fat 26x1.75 tyres were awesome :D
The bike shop I later worked in had several converted Kos Cruisers with cantilever brakes and 1 x 6 drivetrains that I got to have a couple of rides on circa 1986/87. They were heavy AF but awesome fun to ride
You must have missed a page in the thread, it was a Hanimex.