The 'My First Bike' Thread

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This ^^^ Want new FS bikes, newest Fox kit, expensive socks, latest helmets, newest gloves, the grips that they seen on an EWS video... talking with their mates and watching YouTube vids, Instagram feeds ect...

They are a different breed from what we were 30yrs ago. The stimulation they get from 100 different places is worrying... We had a bike, a rope swing in the back field and 2 channels on the telly.
We should start a new thread - what was your first bike?
1986 Repco Tracer 18sp. Steel everything, canti brakes. Broke everything many times and regularly rebuilt with local tip find parts or from Toyworld in our local country town. Used to average 200kms a week easy along country dirt roads in footy shorts and blundstones. Loved that bike...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Raleigh Tomahawk, a smaller version of the Chopper. The bike was secondhand and I still remember the day we picked it up.

My mother still has pictures of me on it back in N Ireland, might get them to scan and send them to me.

UPDATED: 1978ish, the blue Tomahawk on my parents driveway. I'm the one with the round head on the bike.

Last edited:

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
1986 Repco Tracer 18sp. Steel everything, canti brakes. Broke everything many times and regularly rebuilt with local tip find parts or from Toyworld in our local country town. Used to average 200kms a week easy along country dirt roads in footy shorts and blundstones. Loved that bike...
Giant ATX 880. Bought it secondhand off my oldest brother.

Still have it sort of...

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I feel old. No pictures from my childhood but best I can find online:

Had that from about age 4 through to 11...
I remember me and my friends dribbling over a black Madison with gold arayas that was behind the window of Baglee Bicycles. It just looked so right and I will always love that colour combination.

I still have my Mongoose but needs love. I'm torn to the point of inaction if I should leave it as a survivor or do a full rebuild. I just don't know......
IMG00018-20110827-0940.jpg

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I remember me and my friends dribbling over a black Madison with gold arayas that was behind the window of Baglee Bicycles. It just looked so right and I will always love that colour combination.

I still have my Mongoose but needs love. I'm torn to the point of inaction if I should leave it as a survivor or do a full rebuild. I just don't know...... View attachment 357586
Survivor for sure. Just the bare minimum new parts to make it rideable though :) I didn’t keep all the original parts from the Mongoose after many many upgrades over the years. I don’t know whether to apply the grandfathers axe theory or track down all the corrrxt period parts...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Survivor for sure. Just the bare minimum new parts to make it rideable though :) I didn’t keep all the original parts from the Mongoose after many many upgrades over the years. I don’t know whether to apply the grandfathers axe theory or track down all the corrrxt period parts...
I need to respoke the wheels and a cleanup anything that rotates on it. It is still clean so not like rusting anyway yet. I have been to few BMXPO's and some of the restored BMX'ers as just beautiful. I'm a fan of the BMX cruisers too. Here a Kos Kruiser flanked by a Quiksilver Cruiser.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My first bike was a bmx, dad got it for my 5th birthday. He'd sprayed it silver and stuck rad red bmx pads on it and those wicked 80s grips with the finger indentations. Later when I got bigger, instead of getting a new seatpost for me he welded it all the way up, it's a miracle I never broke it.

First MTB was my $10 garage sale find. Pretty sure a Repco of some kind, rusty as fark, 10 whole speeds with zero indexing, and well big enough for me to "grow into". Had those old style triangle handlebars too, which I used to Lord over my mates as being a much stronger design
...till I rolled off a gutter and broke them clean off

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
First bike?
Monga BMX in about 1978/9.
First ‘MTB’. Fully rigid used Diamondback Sorrento about 1993.
First ‘duallie’ (about 20mm travel). New Raceline xtreme sport XC about 1995.
First decent bike. Used Norco VPS1 in about 1998
First new quality bike. 222 in 2002.

There’s been probably 100 since then :oops: