The New Dad thread

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I never noticed this thread here before, great stuff. Good luck and congrats to everyone.

I have two boys, Hamish (3years) and Jasper (19months). Both good kids.

It certainly changes your life, and initially it can be hard to go to events and ride the way you used.

However the time flies by. Before long they have little bikes and can start cruising around the park with you. I ride trials so I often take the oldest boy riding with us. He has a kick along bike and can keep up no worries. He also had his first ride at one of our trials comps a few weekends back.

When Hamish was about 1 I used to put him in a backpack and go out working on some trails I was building at the time. We even once built a jump called sleeping baby jump because he was asleep in his pack in the middle of the singletrack while we built it.

If you want to live a particular lifestyle you have to get your kids used to it, start taking them to events early, then they get used to the noise and the outdoors. Get a trailer so you can take them on rides. Get a trials bike, BMX or a jump bike so you can play around in the back yard with them.

You might find you can no longer be 100% involved in your riding like you used to but I reckon it is pretty easy to stay 80% involved. Mostly your involvement with riding changes rather then disappearing.

[video=youtube;IyePUDDg1o8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyePUDDg1o8[/video]

BT180

Max Pfaff
^^

Oh No! :D haha Good to see he's getting into it early! I'm really looking forward to teaching my kids all about riding. I reckon they'll have a push bike like that before they can walk! :)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mrs Christo is being induced Thursday, can't wait. Hopefully this delivery is trouble free, unlike the last one.

Sad I know but looking forward to the night after delivery, Mrs Christo will be in hospital, Andy will be at his nanna's and I'll be drinking fancy, imported beer, and smoking my first joint in 5+ years..

Drugs are bad kids..

:eek:

Bodin

GMBC
Remember - after a long lay off, you need to get a bit of the J in to you before you get stuck in to the beers. That way, you'll understand your tolerance level and won't green out too bad when you're drunk later on and taking tokes that are wayyyyy too big.

Work your way back in to it
- baby steps, so to speak...

Oh, and congrats in advance on the second addition (edition?). Hope everything works out and everyone's happy and healthy.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well who'd have thunk it?

Reuben was born this morning at 10:00am 4.32kg or 9lb4oz, is doing fine, Mrs Christo is also doing well.

Awesome stuff..

Attachments

RCOH

Eats Squid
Congrats Christo.

5 weeks and counting :eek:...and as luck would have it, I am due to pay off my Road bike about a week before the baby is due.

Pete J

loves his dog
Well who'd have thunk it?
Reuben was born this morning at 10:00am 4.32kg or 9lb4oz, is doing fine, Mrs Christo is also doing well.
Awesome stuff..
Congratulations Christo!
How are mum and bub doing now? Are they both home yet?
Most importantly, which beer did you end up drinking when you were at home by yourself?? :cool:

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Folks,

Mrs Christo & Reuben came home yesterday, all settling in OK. Mrs Christo is fine, I think she's just glad she can drink wine again!

Andy hasn't quite grasped that Reuben is staying & he's actually sentient, just refers to him as 'the baby'.

Pete J - I was drinking Chimay Blue, nice drop, bit strong, ended up having to hold onto the bed to stop it spinning!

RCOH

Eats Squid
My daughter (!!!!!!!!!) Patricia Rose 'Patsy' O'Hara born via ceasarian at 11.50am this morning, 1 week early.

I am stoked, both my wife & were sure we were having another boy. Baby & mum are fine, apart from the c-section recovery. :):):):):)

I can't believe I have a daughter.

Pete J

loves his dog
Congratulations Rod!
I love your choice of names for her, traditional and classy. It's a name she will be proud to bear!
All the best to your wife and the boys, hope everything goes well for you all.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congrats Rod!

Yes, they do look very different when they haven't been pushed through a vagina...

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got to check this thread more often.

Well done Rod, really stoked for you , hope Mum and bub are doing great.

A belated Congrats to Christo as well, great news.

7 months on from my little creature arriving I'm loving being a Dad too.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Thanks Dave, one day we'll get together for another beer or few, or if we are stretched for time maybe a ride haha,but until then we'll always have BR. Good to see your enjoying yourself, it just keeps getting better!

And thanks to you too, Christo!

I really rate this thread.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Where do we start

So our first born is arriving late November and we haven't really bought anything yet. Where do I start with prams, car seats, etc etc??

A quick google left me pretty confused as to what's good or not....Kind of reminds me of when I started researching mountain bikes! :D

Any real world advice?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You won't be going many places for the first few months so relax, there's no rush.

Get a heap of newborn nappies, any change table, a heap of suits & rent a car capsule from your local council then see how go for the rest. eBay and Op shops rock, baby clothes have a short lifespan so there's heaps of second hand stuff.

You'll get heaps of gifts too.