The New Dad thread

BT180

Max Pfaff
Cool, thanks. We're starting to panic a bit as we need to turn my wife's office into a nursery also (not started). Then I started looking at all the stuff we needed to buy and it was a bit overwhelming.

I've seen some good rates on the car capsule hire, so we'll do that for sure. Some friends have also organised a baby shower so hopefully we'll get a few bits and pieces there too.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
My wife has a pram fetish, I swear we currently have 5 and have already got rid of a few! All for my 3yo daughter who doesn't really need them.
My advice is get one that fits in your boot, otherwise they are the same, hard to unfold and annoying to try and balance! Especially if your wife has one of those handbags that weigh more than a dh bike!

Congrats fellas that have new ones!

I think Payton will be an only child as my wife says she doesn't want another and I'm pretty sure you have to have sex to get a baby, I may be wrong.

Bodin

GMBC
My wife has a pram fetish, I swear we currently have 5 and have already got rid of a few! All for my 3yo daughter who doesn't really need them.
LOL - after my wife bought a second completely unnecessary pram, I told her that she can buy as many as she likes, as long as I get a new completely unnecessary bike every time.

No more silly prams have been purchased.

BT180

Max Pfaff
haha. I've been tasked with the pram and car seat buying....Just like bikes i've been drawn to the most expensive ones like the Bugaboo Cameleon

Light, easy to fold, does everything. How hard can it be? :rolleyes:

void

Likes Bikes
haha. I've been tasked with the pram and car seat buying....Just like bikes i've been drawn to the most expensive ones like the Bugaboo Cameleon

Light, easy to fold, does everything. How hard can it be? :rolleyes:
Thats some serious dollars for a pram..

we have a Beema Q, which is lightish, wife can life it up into the back of the patrol no problems, it does however take up all the room in the back of the 323. It can be folded down with pretty much one hand. Also take into consideration if your wife if having a c-section as she may have trouble folding/lifting the pram.

Car seats - have a look at the RACQ/NRMA/RACV website, they will typically give a good review of the seats they recommend. We have a Safe-n-Sound Compaq Premier Convertible Car Seat. It is also worth checking that they fit in your car, ie between the back seat and the back rest of the front seat, (only really an issue if the person in the passenger seat is tall).

BT180

Max Pfaff
Sure is expensive. :eek: Will be a 2nd hand eBay purchase if we went down that route. We're pretty keen on a four wheeler though so the Beema Q probably isn't suitable.

That Safe N Sound seat looks the goods...Safe N Sound seem to be the leading authority on car seats?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We actually ordered a pram online from the USA and saved $$$ (bloody MTBers buying online!).

Baby Jogger City Select, can do two kids, good pram but still stupidly expensive IMO. I could've gone to town on my neglected bikes for the money we spent.

BT180

Max Pfaff
What's a good Online store? The few i've looked at that are based in the US don't seem to ship outside the States (sound familiar?! lol).

Pete J

loves his dog
We have 3 prams, 1 travel pram (which always stays in the car), 1 single child pram and 1 double pram.
Only the single child pram was bought secondhand though because it was an expensive model brand new. There are lots of optional accessories for them available at the baby stores but most aren't necessary anyway. Make sure that it will definitely fit into your car easily (something i should have been more careful about) and that it also is easy to fold as well. This can't be stressed highly enough! In the shop it may seem not so difficult but try doing it under pressure and see how you go. Also it shouldn't weigh a tonne either, i have seen a few makes that weigh well over 20kgs without any accessories or other junk in them.
If you plan on walking with the pram alot, i recommend getting a model with pump up tyres. There are lots of models with hard rubber wheels and such but i reckon the baby sleeps better when the tyres are softer and don't make so much noise. Plus here in winter the bigger tyres get through the snow much more easily, however i doubt any of you guys will have that same problem! ;)
Don't let your wives go crazy buying clothes either, mine did and i wish i had hidden her wallet at some point. Baby clothes don't last very long at all and even though they might look really really cute, chances are that they might only get used once or twice anyway. We have a few boxes full of hardly used stuff to attest to this.
BTW, this thread is really kicking along, i like it alot!

RCOH

Eats Squid
from my experience:

Get a pram you can steer with 1 hand. It is a bitch having a nice coffee just not being able to drink it. You will be up early at some stage and cafe's rule when bub will only sleep in a moving pram. For our twins we had a Mclaren that needed 2 hands on deck, it was a great pram for transporting 2 kids + gear but not for doing anything else.

We are lucky this time as my dad works for an exclusive (read expensive) school and someone left a brand new Mountain Buggy Urban pram at the school last year and never came back. The school was just about to throw it out when we announced our pregnancy, so we got it.

We also bought 2 umbrella strollers from kmart for 20 bucks each for easy & light options (great for Easter Shows, fairs etc).

void

Likes Bikes
A Baby Bjorn or similar carrier can be very useful as well, especially when you really cannot be bothered with a pram.

Bodin

GMBC
Think I need a paternity test.

2.5 years old and she still doesn't like bikes or Star Wars films.

The kid can't possibly be mine.

:mad:

simon80

Likes Bikes
Baby arrived yesterday

Liam Jaxon born yesterday morning at 3:30am. 3.45kg 50cm long. He's unreal!!!! What an experience. I totally see my wife as being way tougher than I am after that.

So far I've fumbled through 3 nappy changes - all of which had the look and colour of tar - nice....

BT180

Max Pfaff
Liam Jaxon born yesterday morning at 3:30am. 3.45kg 50cm long. He's unreal!!!! What an experience. I totally see my wife as being way tougher than I am after that.

So far I've fumbled through 3 nappy changes - all of which had the look and colour of tar - nice....
Congrats! I bet you wish they smelt like tar also, eh? :D

All this talk is getting me very excited.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm pretty lucky on the Baby Bjorn front as a work colleague gave me one that he no longer needs, happy with that.

But after many hours pushing empty prams around baby stores we have pretty much decided on a Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle or the smaller Swift. Has anyone had or heard of any negative experiences with either model. It's mind boggling all the variations available.

With the car seats from O/S, is there any ASNZ standards that apply much like helmets?

And congrats Simon80.

Last edited: