The New Northbridge Pump Track - Now Open - now with Vids

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
guys I have made contact with the local council regarding upgrading the small BMX pump track area on Sailors bay Rd in Northbridge

They were quite receptive and said they are happily engaged with riders at Castlecove (Muzzie & crew) and were willing to hear some suggestions on how to improve the Northbridge pump track area. as it is today, not many people use it in its current state which is basically a row of 5 mounds of dirt with a berm at the end

they have said that they are constantly clearing pallets and debris in the area, from what seems to be kids making jumps and bigger lips.

I suggested that they should make this area into a real pump track that loops and figure 8's with more berms, table tops and a rhythm section so riders of all levels can use, and wouldnt take too much work. Leave the DJ's for castlecove so dont want to Interfere with Dave's hardwork

any suggestions from anyone else in the area? please contribute if you know the area and see any potential at this site

Thanks

UPDATES Page 3!! need your support now

23/10/09
Guys met with the Parks and Reserves Co-ordinator from Willoughby Council this morning with Nicho and a few others

meeting was very positive and it looks like that it should be easy to do as this land has already been allocated for this type of use, could even happen quickly if we get enough support from the community

We are proposing that the whole track be bulldozed and start again. The existing main straight of the track will have a set of DJ style table tops (not doubles) sloped at a different height from left to right, for different degrees of difficulty based on riding skill and experience. everyone from Beginner to advanced , all ages can hone their skills without fear of gaps or injury. thse can also be linked up with te pump track...

The Bottom part of the track that has the large berm will be made into the Pump track Loop which can be hit in any direction which basically will figure 8. this will consist mainly of berms and 1 foot high rollers. the challenge will be to continue around the pump track without pedalling of course and using just technique and skill to build up your momentum. The skillful amongst us should be able to double some of the rollers

The idea is to make this facility a safe place available for people of all ages and skill levels, the expert riders can always hit Castlecove if they want big air!

attached is a rough draft of what we think it should look like, obviously we haven't measured it out yet but will give you a general idea of what we think it should look like...

pump track draft 1.pdf

we now need your support by emailing the council so we can show there is genuine community interest

If you could kindly email a brief letter with the following details it would be much appreciated

Name
Email address
Ph no

Stating that you have heard about the discussions around the redesign of this facility and that you support it, and if possible would be willing to lend a hand

reasons why you think this upgrade would be beneficial eg. I said that it means I dont have to travel as far if I feel like riding off road and my son would benefit greatly from riding this type of facility on his bicycle

Any other suggestions such as sheltered areas, BBQ area, water drinking facilities etc

Please forward these emails to

Adam.Cole@Willoughby.nsw.gov.au

please advise via this thread if you have sent an email in so we can keep track of numbers...

Please get your mates to chip in as well

Thanks

Aug 2010
"Good News, this is all approved and work will hopefullly commence Sept 28th, Volunteers required"

below is a listing of the days and volunteers so far

Tues 28th

1.Nicho
2.Chuckie
3.Leon (Seal PuP)
4.Dreggsy
5.Cuthbert (Dave Yonge)
6.Taibo
7.crank1979
8.Bellsy
9. Hamish (Five Miles Out)

Wed 29th

1.Nicho
2.Oli
3.daver (arvo)
4. Chris Southwood
5. dreggsy
6.taibo
7. Babau ?
8.Bellsy

Thurs 30th

1.Chuckie
2. Nicho
3. Oli
4.Daver
5.Woody (dragonwoody)
6. Chris Southwood
7.Dreggsy
8.Bellsy

Fri Oct 1st

1. Oli
2. Chuckie
3.5.Cuthbert (Dave Yonge)
4.Dreggsy
5.Babau?
6.Bellsy
7.Duncan (Unitec) ?

Sat Oct 2nd

1. Braddoh (M1black)
2.Chuckie
3.Woody
4.Jan F1234k
5.Garfield
6. Raddek (RaID)
7.Al (Nerfherder)
8.Matt (bikesarefun)
9.Lee (Leethal)
10.J@se
11.Nmag
12.Duncan (Unitec)

Sun Oct 3rd (test ride day so bring bikes and tools)- Test ride day!!!!

1.Chuckie
2.Garfield
3.Brad M1 black

Address is opp 395 Sailors Bay Rd Northbridge
4.Matt (bikesarefun)
5.Bellsy (?)

30/10/2010

here's a vid of the pump track section stage 1, and Chris Southwood was able to do 6 laps without one pedal, before his heart gave out :)

[video=youtube;WbnXJf8aOWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbnXJf8aOWw[/video]

21/11/2010

Stage 2 with upgrades

[video=youtube;UWwRjAzh4R0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWwRjAzh4R0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like a great idea, would be willing to give a hand if any additional man power is required, PM me if needed

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Yep good idea I think. It is a good little area and has a bit of potential.

That track seems to have been in need of some love and care for a while now. Willoughby Council seems to be doing some good things at the moment (ie Castle Cove) and hopefully they can continue that good work with the refreshment of this track.

From memory the soil/clay there is ideal and would be a good base for a pump track.

Am also happy to lend a hand.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If we can get a gaurantee of continued maintenance from the council then it shows that whatever work put in by the riders will be supported by them.

If it takes a couple of weekends of shoveling by a crew of guys then it's something the council will see as another purposeful recreational area.

I'm definitely keen to dig and even pitch in some $$ for a few tonnes of dirt if required.

Good work Chuckie...

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Dude, if you can get them to sign off on it, I'll help shovel it :)

Maybe I'll finally be able to get some smooth groove going ;)

unitec

Likes Dirt
Talk to the Groms

Hey Mark,
You mentioned that the local groms were bringing pallets & stuff to alter the track. Obviously they are unhappy with what has been provided but is it a pump track they are looking for?
Just thinking that if you get council support and the local groms keep making a mess it may not be the best outcome.
Just a thought

Nmag

Likes Dirt
I'm not local but a mate who lives in Castlecrag and I could give you a hand, have a ride, then hit his place for beers. Sing out if you can use more help. Would be awesome to have a nice pump track to ride from time to time.

I'd guess council would be happier if the jumps/pallets/doubles were replaced with a couple of suitable tabletops that could be shaped by the younger guys? Sometimes, councils tend to dislike holes being dug, and prefer you ask them so they can bring in some suitable material.

mattyt

Squid
Yep i'll help out,

I'm fairly local & have heard about it but never checked it out for myself
Now's as good a time as ever & i'm willling to help out when i can.
It's up near the Golf Course isn't it ?

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah its next to the golfcourse and tennis courts

Its a bit of an eyesore too in its current state

Anyone got access to actual pump track layouts?

Nmag

Likes Dirt
I looked through my shamelessly stolen internet "Pump" pics (some from here) and this is what I found. Maybe something attached is pumpable?

Attachments

Last edited:

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Mark,
You mentioned that the local groms were bringing pallets & stuff to alter the track. Obviously they are unhappy with what has been provided but is it a pump track they are looking for?
Just thinking that if you get council support and the local groms keep making a mess it may not be the best outcome.
Just a thought
Hi Duncan

well they have had all their DJ's knocked down, but recently Castlecove is being resurrected so they will have somehwere to go jumping now, instead of trying to modify the mounds of dirt currently there by digging massive holes and adding dodgie lips

They can easily make this a real pump track so people of all levels can ride it by using bigger tabletops, berming it up and making the thing loop so it can be ridden in different directions as well

maybe enough space for a set of DJ's/ Table tops as well to keep everyone happy

Last edited:

mattyt

Squid
yep checked it out on the weekend
i'm definitley willing to offer my labor to it
& help out with any planning, lobbying etc necessary to get it happening

I think a pump track will work well in the area available & it is looking a bit neglected but it could be very successful & safe.

When & how do we get the ball rolling ???

sealpup

Likes Dirt
count me in

yeah i rode it the other day and with a bit of tlc will be a great place to ride.will bring shovel when ready

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep checked it out on the weekend
i'm definitley willing to offer my labor to it
& help out with any planning, lobbying etc necessary to get it happening

I think a pump track will work well in the area available & it is looking a bit neglected but it could be very successful & safe.

When & how do we get the ball rolling ???
Ok fellas, keep the support coming

the ball is already rolling...

Our council contact is away on leave this week but i will be meeting him at the site next week to discuss

we will at some stage need to submit a formal submission but we need as much community support as we can right now

so tell any local riders, or anyone that would be interested in using the facility to add their name and support to this thread so I can contact you all later

Also add any suggestions for improvements you may think would help

Oh..and if you are local and get the chance to drop in and have a look at the area please do so...

Last edited:

bellsy

Likes Dirt
Plus 1
I'm in Kirribilli, so thats probably the closest spot for me to ride without driving an hour to my trails in the blue mountains every other weekend... Haven't heard of this place before but I'm more than happy to help out to get something going!