The new platform...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Or people don't bother to update their trading history in their signature so it becomes pointless?
Ha, I assume you’re alluding to me not having updated my sig with the trade I did with you. I may not have always updated updated my sig in a timely manner but it was always updated eventually. If a name didn’t appear then there was a reason. I would have put your name up likely over the Xmas break.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
What exactly are the little orange and pale blue clouds to the left of each thread ?
Thisimage better reflects what you're talking about. The dark speech bubbles indicate new content, light bubbles indicate no new content.
The dumb thing with those is that they're only on the main index page. Go to any of the subforums and they're not there, and with all thread titles having the same boldening there's no immediate visual cue as to what threads have new posts. Need to have some obvious cue, such as lighter and darker type, to distinguish threads with new content from those that don't.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Ok, changed the text colour slighty, made the links more black and bold. Thoughts?
That's better! I think the convention of using blue text would be better - A few years ago, Gmail users were split tested with 40 different link colours : the bluer the links the more clicks they got. The accepted standard used to be that underlined & blue text was a link, but while interruptive nature of underlined text is great for skimmers, it has been shown to impede readability on a more general level.
A lot of website have now dumped the underlining & stick to slightly bolded blue text.
Links need to be a different colour to identify them as such. Bold can be used to emphasis a point, therefore just making links bold in the same colour can cause them to get a bit lost.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
How about dark red? Can’t quite handle blue with our colour scheme. Changing the link colour effects a lot more than just the body of posts.

Example link

moorey

call me Mia
Ha, I assume you’re alluding to me not having updated my sig with the trade I did with you. I may not have always updated updated my sig in a timely manner but it was always updated eventually. If a name didn’t appear then there was a reason. I would have put your name up likely over the Xmas break.
I call BS...my name didn’t show after trading a couple of years ag.....nevermind :(

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Is there anyway we can get the first line of the new posts appearing under the thread title in new posts like we used to have? I and others find ouselves feeling less enticed to click on threads when the only information is that a thread has received a new post.

Not a die in the ditch issue but would be nice if it's an easy fix.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
2 weeks!? You must have been super pleased with yourself over that. Some one ended up with a sweet set of buds.

IF it makes you feel any better I only put people on that list that I purchased from.

Beej1

How about dark red? Can’t quite handle blue with our colour scheme. Changing the link colour effects a lot more than just the body of posts.

Example link
Unlike hifi I don't think blue links are important on a site like this - matching the colour scheme is the better idea. Having said that, I would hazard a guess that significantly more males use this site than females, and males are more likely to suffer from colour blindness, and I know I've had to mess around with red-based colour schemes to get items to stand out for such folk. The fact yours are bold, and have a hover effect is plenty good.

On colour schemes ... am I imagining or was there the ability to choose between 2 different colour schemes earlier on after the migration? This red one and a more blue one? I actually don't care that much ... happy to go with whatever look you prefer

moorey

call me Mia
2 weeks!? You must have been super pleased with yourself over that. Some one ended up with a sweet set of buds.

IF it makes you feel any better I only put people on that list that I purchased from.
I suspect my wife borrowed, put through the wash, and destroyed the evidence.
Buy something off me so I can be one of the cool kids.

safreek

Easy to ad an avatar, the last platform wouldn't let me do so.
My avatar is solo cool, and not even bike related. Will change it every week or so for stupidity factor.
Oh, and its cool that the avatar shows who last answered in the thread. Very nifty