The Oaks graded

stirk

Burner
I have heard the Oaks fire trail has been graded, just when it was getting interesting,some down hill sections in the top part were developing nice 'features' and had nice big rocks strewn about to catch out the less attentive.

Can anyone report on how smooth and boring it most likely is now?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Rode it for the first time in ages a few weeks ago
Very smooth but bedded in after the Woody's
No rocks and the climbs were heaps easier than I remember
The last bit of the single track has had some of the berms re-aligned and is heaps better though

stirk

Burner
Damn, some of the ruts were fun and the rocks kept you on your toes. I guess smooth equals faster though.

Good to hear the single track has been improved, its always the best part of the ride.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I got a bit of a surprise
I felt all good about myself on the climbs until i was reminded of the carpet like surface
And i went past suicide corner without even realising

i really enjoy the work Synergy have done
Would just like a big rock garden after the rock armoured berm
You have to slow down for the tight right hand corner anyway

If i do the entire Oaks once or maybe twice a year, it's always fun

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The grading was pretty bad in my mind - it's become an ongoing sandpit. Riding up was certainly easier in that you didn't have to negotiate different lines, but traction was lacking in some places. Similarly on the way down, there were a few cheek-clenching moments where either (or both) the front and rear tyres started to lose traction

Perhaps its calmed down in the weeks since I last rode it (fairly freshly after the grading), but it really took the fun out of the ride for me

Single track is fun, but I preferred the old setup where you had multiple line options through very natural terrain. I understand the reasons behind all the changes of course though

stirk

Burner
Grading is a necessary evil I guess to make fire truck access fast and safe. I dread the day they grade down my way though as the fire trail has interesting features eroded into it over a few years.

Blue Gum Swamp is looking great, it's almost overgrown into single track since the October 2013 fire. I supposed it will be cleared in the near future though.

stirk

Burner
Rode the oaks today, the fire road is smoother than most sydney suburban streets but is a little loose in some sandy corners, you just need to use the gutters aka berms to find the fast traction.

Single track is always fun even if it shreds your sidewall.

I just wish the grader made the little waterbars in the gutters down the fast middle section a little larger.