The One Bike

Does a "Do It All" Bike exist

• Total voters

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes I think you can have a decent do it all rig, but probably not if you are serious about any particular aspect of riding.
So the person who is happy dabbling in a bit of everything would probably be happy with a do it all bike, but the person who wants to win XC races or wants to win DH races would be better off with a bike for each specific job.

i) What rig you Got ... or What rig do you consider as a "Do it All Bike"
Orange 222
Giant STP (was a 0 now pretty custom)

I thought the STP was going to be a great do it all bike, but I don't think I ever got enough confidence on it, not compared to my old Trance and now not compared to the Orange. The STP can manage XC but I feel the pedals aren't in the optimal position in relation to the seat tube, something I noticed the first time I got on the bike. I think the Orange even though it's a DH bike would make a relatively good do it all rig, it certainly feels comfortable enough and seems to handle ok out on the road, but of course it's easily noticeable that DH is it's forte. I think it weighs around 16-17kg with single ply tires and single crown fork, so feels more like an AM bike with DH geo I guess.

ii) How many or what styles do you use it for ... [are you really doing everything with it ?]
Giant STP, started off as my do it all bike, so I did XC rides, road rides into town and was getting into DH with it, not game enough for DJ's yet. Now it's more of a "trail" bike, hopefully to become a dirt jumper when I get up the guts.
Orange 222, I brought this when I decided that DH was more enjoyable than other riding and I'd keep at it. I have also ridden the Orange on a "road ride" recently which for all intents and purposes I would class as XC. It's not that dissimilar to the STP and being accustomed to the geo and feel of it I would have no hesitation on taking it on an XC type ride rather than the STP, it has the same amount of gears (9x32) and would only be about 4kg heavier than the STP, the pedals seem to be in a more "pedal friendly". Of course you get "bob" when going up hill out of the saddle but bob helps with a bit more trackon and in some way I don't feel it saps energy, rather gives you a bit of bounce to spring back with:D

iii) What other rigs have you ridden
Giant Trance, Giant Alias, Specialized Hardrock Comp

iv) Would you have ridden the various styles you ride faster, better or with more confidence if you had a more specific bike to that style / track.

The Orange is definitely more confidence inspiring on the DH track, yes it does make me ride faster than the STP. As for the road I think both bikes are about the same with regards to speed, even riding the STP with an SS set up into town (15ks one way) took the same time as when it was geared.
As for DJ, the STP would have to be better, but I haven't tried anything big enough to know. The Orange and the STP seem to handle small drops to flat about the same, obviously Orange probably gives more room for error.

Oh the STP on DH with 100mm fork certainly takes a lot more skill and balls than the Orange would on the same track.

v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ? As per my initial statement I don't think a do it all rig can do each and every discipline as well as a dedicated bike would, all else being equal.

For the reasons I ride and the type of riding I do I think I could do it all on the Orange, it may look silly commuting on a DH bike, but hey I don't live in the city so not many people will see. But if I wanted to do a variety of riding and was really serious about it, then it's a hard question - I could get a true do it all bike but it wouldn't necessarily be the best bike for each discipline.

So in closing it's just my experience and I think in some ways it depends what each person considers "do it all" as well, and which aspect is more important than the other, because it would be rare that someone dedicates absolutely equal time to each and every discipline of riding?

Last edited:

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do it all... Do it all pretty average..

Jamis Komodo 1.0 with adjustable forks... :p
ii) How many or what styles do you use it for ... [are you really doing everything with it ?]
Well, its been used for XC, DH, DJ, Street... Just too heavy and i have a lack of skill for trials.
Norco Atomic>for DH:rolleyes:
iv) Would you have ridden the various styles you ride faster, better or with more confidence if you had a more specific bike to that style / track.
On my Jamis it had been a struggle to do the downhill runs quickly, now its just a cruise on the Norco. Havn't had the Norco long, but i'll be pinning it soon :p
v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ...
I am last...

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
No; and yes...

Subjectively, I guess the "one" bike is different for everyone, as we all ride differently. For someone who is quite XC oriented, they may see an all purpose bike as a 120-140mm travel, lightweight trail bike c.12kg with say 69-70 degree HA and lightweight wheels, and running a classic 3 ring setup. For a slightly more adventurous rider, it might be 150-170mm travel AM rig, c.14kg with 66-67 degree HA and travel adjustable forks with a 2 ring setup and guide. For a gravity inspired rider, it might be a 170-190mm travel FR light bike c.16kg with 65-66 degree HA and 1x9 drivetrain.
I think most of us accept that no one bike can do everything perfectly, but the reality is that most people don't do every style equally (or equally well) either. You won't miss performance benefits outside the range of your own riding style, so why worry about them? Whilst objectively a true do-everything-as-well-as-purpose-built-bikes machine does not (and cannot) exist, I think there is certainly a "one" bike suited to the preferences (and budget!) of almost every rider. FWIW

Last edited:

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
I currently have a 2008 Norco Six1 with travel adjust forks, also an old Avanti Aggressor XC bike, which is really light.

I gave my Avanti to my sister to ride so don't ride that as much as I used to, but if my bike is broken or I can't use it for some reason I'll take her(my) bike.

So basically I ride my Six as it's my only other bike after I sold the RMX cause of the lack of gnarly decents in Aus, particularly Qld where I live.

I ride what I'd call AM, or rough XC. Generally encompasses a push up some steep and quite rough hill or slope, I like medium drops and ok jumps, so I'm definitely not going on any epic 30km rides on it, although I have done around that much one time. I haven't taken it to any 'DH' courses yet but I would if I had the opportunity. Sometimes it also gets used as a commuter or just a ride around the street.

Used to own a 2005 Manik with triples, a RMX, a few other shitter bikes. And I've ridden quite a few types, never ridden a dedicated street/park bike like a Blk Mrkt though, but I really want to.

Well yes, and no. This is a tricky one and I'll go into a little detail down the bottom..but overall I'd ride a specific style of bike according to that styles faster, ie. I'd XC an XC race bike faster than my RMX ect..

v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ...
I'd ride the track anyway, as to me there is nothing more fun than hitting trails up with your mates, and even the occasional video camera, not to record how big or epic you went, but just so you can reminisce after the ride at the awesome day just had by all.

So here's my detailed story kinda thing of my ride on the weekend.
A week ago when I was performing some maintenance on my bike, I stupidly broke the main pivot bolt behind the BB on my Norco (now I'm getting a torque wrench;)) which rendered it useless last weekend.

Enter the old XC Avanti which weighs like 11kg and is BIG and LONG compared to my Norco.
We were just hitting up Tewantin for the first time, and I had no idea what it was going to be like, I was told there's a pretty sweet DH section that goes for a while, and I initially would have liked the Norco, this was just because of my mentality of steep/loose/rough = dualy.
That's not because I don't like HT's but I do prefer something a bit beefier than an 11kg XC bike with 1.9" tyres, and 110mm stem, for the rough stuff.

But as fate will have it there would be no softy for me that day, it was the Avanti or nothing, and I wasn't going to be the softy to bail on the ride!
Not having been there myself, and not going with anyone who had, I had no idea what to expect, and was quite sure I'd find myself in some sketchy situation before the days end.

At first we were just on flat single track and there wasn't looking to be much use for a dualy, until we found this decent that is.
If anyone who's been there knows the hill that runs next to the hill climb course for cars and roadies, then you'll know that this is kinda rough and really rocky in some places.
Pushing up I was making note of what lines I'd take on the way back down as there was quite honestly some sections I just could not see myself hitting with any speed to a safe extent. However the hill just kept going up, and by the time I'd turned around I'd already forgotten what was 30seconds down the track.

So with me in front and the rest behind to follow and observe the carnage first hand I set off. At first I was just rolling down, not trying to speed up, and not trying to slow down, just kinda hold a constant speed and flow which didn't interrupt the others'.
I came across drops I wouldn't have done a year ago before I'd bought a dualy and sought out rough sections to test it on, and jumps, and rocky sections too.
Hit most of them, until I came to this really rough blind drop that I just didn't like trying as the bike would not have liked it one bit.
So heading straight towards this drop I needed a b-line, and quick. Oh, to the right! I thought and steered in that direction, however that was where the double step drop thingy was that I'd clearly made a mental note to definitely not attempt, too late, I bail I fail, so I have to commit, oh shit I'm rolling out!! I remember thinking how lucky I was, then the rock garden/off camber slope section came up..got a bit sketch there again, but rode it out too.

That pretty much ended the hairy sections, and reflecting afterwards I had a few thoughts and made a few mental notes.

Everyone should have a HT and a dualy.
As I said there were sections I didn't think the bike/I could handle a year ago, which was basically the last time I really rode this bike off road often. But since then I've been hitting stuff like that and stuff which is worse on my RMX and my Six.
The track wasn't crazy rough by DH standards, but for the XC bike it was pretty crazy I thought.

I guess there's a few things to this, but I put it somewhat down to the marketing that bike companies spit out, it's utter shit really.
I was worried that I'd definitely break the bike or myself trying stuff like this, and that's kinda why I got a dualy to start with.
But over time I've refined and progressed my skills to a stage where I'm comfortable to ride stuff like this on my bike, so really I knew what could be done and couldn't be done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the softies have given me confidence that my bike will hold up, and that I just needed to master myself and up my skills to match the bikes abilities.
Going back to the hardtail I was seeing things I knew I have done, or could do, and just stuck it, put it out of my head that I was going to crash and just got on the ragged edge and held on tight.
The confidence I got from the dualy has been transformed and converted into confidence I have for myself and my abilities.

I'm glad I took out the old HT, and I'll definitely be taking it out again, it gave me a thrill in some places which are hard to replace with the other bikes with travel front and back.
Sure I wasn't as fast, but honestly, I reckon I had a better time riding that bike than I have had in the last few months on my Six, instead of meandering down with little to worry about I had to focus and stay on it, or I would surely have been off it..the thrill of taking on the terrain is much more fun than the appeal of just cruising down a hill really fast and not really being in touch with it.
I guess this could create some arguments, but as I said it's not a DH track as such, and I probably would have eaten it at Thredbo or somewhere like that.

What I did learn is that taking a bike that's arguably under the recommended spec to a track is much more fun than taking a bike that's twice the bike that the track can handle.
Less = more here guys, so get that short travel or rigid rear out and go tear up some trails you don't think they can quite handle, you'll be suprised, I know I sure as hell was!

EDIT: I think you CAN have a do it all bike, but can you compete in something with said bike? Fuck no, that's silly and disadvantaging youself.
Unless you're a pro who's chasing gold, having FUN on one bike is definitely achievable, but I guess we should further define "do-it-all" does it have to be fast, and be the first across the line, down the hill or whatever? NO, but as long as you enjoy it and can maximize your riding with it then it's a fine bike for you. That's what I'd define as a do it all bike..

hopefully someone else reads this lol or I just wasted 15mins

Last edited:

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!

09 Giant Reign X1, yes i would consider it a "do it all bike"

AM, XC, commuter, DH, small drops and jumps here and there but not really freeride... it could probably work for 4X

specialized enduro (another good all round bike)
STP

i probably do DJ's and DH a little more confidently with specific bikes in those categorys

v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you have a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ?

no, thats really up to how confident you are on on the track and how you are picking dangerous lines that may be smother or faster or both(for dh).
it mite be a little different if there is a huge variations in geometry and size.

also you would have to get used to that specific bike, work out how it handles and all that shit, if you're really comfy on the "do it all bike" you mite go faster on that.

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Subjectively, I guess the "one" bike is different for everyone, as we all ride differently. For someone who is quite XC oriented, they may see an all purpose bike as a 120-140mm travel, lightweight trail bike c.12kg with say 69-70 degree HA and lightweight wheels, and running a classic 3 ring setup. For a slightly more adventurous rider, it might be 150-170mm travel AM rig, c.14kg with 66-67 degree HA and travel adjustable forks with a 2 ring setup and guide. For a gravity inspired rider, it might be a 170-190mm travel FR light bike c.16kg with 65-66 degree HA and 1x9 drivetrain.
I think most of us accept that no one bike can do everything perfectly, but the reality is that most people don't do every style equally (or equally well) either. You won't miss performance benefits outside the range of your own riding style, so why worry about them? Whilst objectively a true do-everything-as-well-as-purpose-built-bikes machine does not (and cannot) exist, I think there is certainly a "one" bike suited to the preferences (and budget!) of almost every rider. FWIW
That pretty much nailed it for my kind of thinking.

Ranga I really agree with you as well, with the HT it's mainly a mental thing, my feet stay on the pedals and lack of suspension was never a problem in that department, it's all mental - get to a rocky section and thinking that I'm just going to go otb because from inexperience it's hard to lay off the brakes. But still I think having a HT designed for DH would be more beneficial (longer wheelbase, a bit more travel up front and relatively slack geo).

It's kind of strange, having a short wheelbase I thought the STP should be more whippy around the berms, but in some strange way I fine the Orange cornering better even when it's really sharp, and it has less tendency to feel like I'm going to fly off in the wrong direction or crash into a tree. My frame of thought was that a DH bike with a longer wheelbase would corner like a pig. I guess it's all in the geo in which there is more than one aspect.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
"THE ONE"

Yes it exists, and here it is: http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/one.htm
why does "THE ONE" come in 4 models ... Shouldn't it be the 4

-2 travel settings- (5”-6”) or (7”-8”) via adjustable shock mount.
-2 build strengths- light or strong

We have four names for them (Sauce, One, Can-Can, Can-Diggle) , but they all have the same suspensions and links
but obvously not the same purpose.

Read Cuthbert's comments ... re current thinking ... IMO current Marketing.

dh damo

Likes Dirt
"The one"

Well it has to be my little baby. Dj's,4X,DH,Park,XC and and every day run about. It's light but strong look's ruff but is smooth and is just sick fun to ride any thing on.

Edit: now has all new saint dr and xtr shifter, drool such a nice shift.

Last edited:

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i)I don't have a do it all bike.
ii) My DH rig is used for Freeride, all mountain, north shore, and downhill.
iii) I also have a SS Brodie bigshot with 100mm travel forks and DH bars, 6" rotors, hydraulic brakes ect.... I use this for 4X and DJ and am seriously considering putting a derailleur on it.
iv) Absolutely not...
v) Ime on my third lap, the others are on there first.:rolleyes:

but seriously, in my opinion a great allround rig would be...
Frame - Norco SIX
Rear shock - DHX 5.0 air
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 float rc2
Handlebars - FSA gravity light 800mm
Stem - Syncross AM 1.5
Headset - Syncross FR1 1.5"
Grips - ODI ruffian
Saddle - SDG TI fly
Seatpost - Thompson elite
Front brake - Hayes stroker trail 6"
Rear brake - Hayes stroker trail 6"
Cranks - Truvative holzefeller
Chainguide - E-13 DRS
Chain - PG 913
Pedals - CRBRO's Mallet
Front derailleur - Shadow saint
Rear derailleur - Shadow saint
Front shifter- Shadow saint
Rear shifter - Shadow saint
Cassette - Shimano 26-12
Front hub - DT swiss 440
Rear hub - DT swiss 440
Front rim - Sun eq-29
Rear rim - Sun eq-29
Spokes - Shiny silver ones
Nipples - Shiny silver ones
Tyres - Maxxis advantage 2.3
Tubes - Maxxis fly weight
Total weight - hopefully under 18kg

lobstar

Likes Dirt
I had a enduro s-works (the bike that became the sx trails) that was definently a do it all bike. I had lyriks on it aswell as a dhx. they gave me the adjustability to not only do xc, but 4x and dh (lightish - thredbo was a perfect track for it).....the only reason i got rid of it was because it was a little small and i wanted to have a 100% dh bike.
on another note, i reckon the trek remedy would be perfect for do it all, maybe with hammerschmidt or something along those linges
4x, dh , xc.. thats pretty much the core
Orange 223, morewood ndiza, stp, gt ruckus, gitane xc bike, xtc, santa cruz bullit
i think there was a little more weight needed for 4x and xc, but nothing that a little extra training couldnt fix to some extents, it did me give more of an advantage on rougher xc. the gearing for some people would have given a little less advantage in xc racing (nothing serious) but im used to running single speed set ups so i didnt mind at all.
v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ?
I would say that i would be keeping up for sure.

If i was ever to build another do it all bike it would be this frame for sure!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see your point, and agree, ONE bike is pushing it, although I reckon it could be done with two, or at least two frames and some shared parts.

Frame - .243 SL/Brooklyn Big Ben/On One 456/SC Chameleon (although I prefer the first or third) Whatever DH/FR Frame takes your fancy
Rear shock - Hardtail Whatever fits
Front shock/fork - Pike U-Turn, I guess Lyric or 36 if you really wanted, but Pike FTW Boxxer/Totem/07 Marz 66/07 Marz 888
Handlebars - NS/Deity/RaceFace/whatever
Stem - Thompson
Headset - Chris King
Grips - Odi
Saddle - Ti-Fly
Seatpost - Thompson
Brakes - XTR/XT/Juicy Ultimate Code/Saint/Formula
Cranks - XT w/ 32t Saint
Chainguide - none Whatever
Chain - Halflink Sram 9spd
Pedals - Time Z
Front derailleur - None
Rear derailleur - None 105/Saint/XO
Front shifter - None
Rear shifter - None Whatever works
Cassette - 18t SingleSpeed Cog Sram 9spd
Hubs - Hope Pro II
Rims - 721
Tyres - Ardent/ Larson TT/ Intense Micro Knobby/HighRoller/Minion
Used For - XC, 4X, trail riding, light freeride, DJ, trials DH, agressive FR

You should be able to tell that BLUE is the first bike, RED is the second, and PURPLE is shared parts (duh).

I reckon the first bike would be the bike I'd go for as a "one" bike, except obviously it wouldn't DH to the greatest extent (still do pretty well for a hardtail). Most of the grouprides I do are XC, and I think the blue bike would do well. It would DJ well to, after all it is a DJ frame, and SS and you can pop the pikes down short.

Sorry but I'm to tired to think of anything more constructive.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting question and may depend on what you consider all, so I'll provide my POV based purely on what I ride and the riding I do.

The bike I consider my do it all bike is my 2004 Turner 5 Spot. The bike is currently dressed up in M960 XTR including wheelset, a boring Fox vanilla R fork and coil sprung Romic. To date its been pretty bullit proof.

Mostly it gets used for general trail riding with the local crew and all day epics, but I have used it for XCO and XCC race events, played with it on the local 4X track and the odd DH race course. I have used it as a commuter too.

Dirt jumping really isn't my thing so other than playing on the odd jump it doesn't see it.

DH also isn't really my thing as riding up hills doesn't really bother me. But it will do it if the down get nasty (and sometimes they do).

I have a quite a few bikes but other than the old Turner RFX, most would be considered more XC than anything else.

The Spot is a little heavy and springy for out and out uphill sprints, but it does get up and go nicely. Its very forgiving and on the downs it does inspire confidence. On technical climbs it can climb just about anything and the rear has heaps of traction. On some rougher XC race courses my lap times have been better on the Spot than the 4" travel Turner Flux.

v) Assume your on a group ride ... you all have roughly the same skillz and fitness ... everybody except you has a specific bike design for the style of track you are riding versus your "Do it All" rig ... Are you kicking arse ?

Definitely kicking arse and enjoying it too. Ok there are a few swings and roundabouts but on the group rides I do it fits the varying terain the best. Ok sometimes I get home and think I could have done that on a rigid bike etc but hey I just pull out the Spot and don't really have to worry that much about where we are going because it will get me there and back fairly comfortably with the minimum of fuss.

ja_har

Likes Dirt
No...the one does not exist

There is no 'The One' I thought I found it, but as my riding skill expanded it proved impossible to find.

You can try and get close but when there is too much compromise, the greater your skill and the harder you ride the compromises soon stack up.

I started with what I thought was 'The One' a Santa Cruz Heckler that was bought to ride Whistler for a season. I did DH, light freeride, epic trail rides and XC races on that bike, but as my skill grew the bike was holding me up from pushing my limits, it was too heavy to race XC, too little travel to race full DH and too fragile to hit big freeride. It was an 'All Mountain' built back in 2002/3 before the term was invented. I still have it, its still my favourite bike and it gets ridden the most, but I also now have 3 other bikes that do other specific things better...
A full DH race bike, a hardtail for 4X / DJ and a commuter beast.

That said the newer all mountain rides such as a SC Nomad are getting much closer that was possible back in 03 with the help of lighter and stronger in the one package so the gap has closed over time. But still not enough.

So no, 'The One' does not exist as there is too many compromises to do everything well. Especially at the pointy end of things such as racing / higher riding ability.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks for the comments peeps has definitely got me thinking ... especially about my build ...

there is no getting around my geometry on the bullit for XC and hill climbing ... but I've now played with some tire changes (turfed the shitty Kenda blue grooves and replaced them with slightly over worn crossmarks ... hell fun of loose corners I tell you :eek:) and got some slightly lighter hoops on the rear to replace the full on DH rims and I'm now much happier with its pedalling and acceleration. :)

but now I know I've compromised its FR and DH capabilities ... oh well, the search continues ... which is kinda part of the fun I guess.

BTW. I reckon a HT will never be the one bike ... I've got a Brodie Bigshot as well, which is the FR HT ... and although it can certainly do everything ... its no way near faster then the DH sled ... or as confidence inspiring at hucks then the bullit or even the stinky or as relaxing to ride fast as the Trance.