The perfect city bike (world edition)

Binaural

Eats Squid
In the various cities I've been to or lived in, I've always taken an interest in what the locals are riding as they head around on their daily busines. Cities seem to be breeding grounds of small innovations (or randomness) in the types and details of bikes people ride. In my opinion commuter steeds are the most diverse of all, and you cannot fail to notice the shoaling of certain types - granny bikes in Amsterdam, ancient MTBs from the early heyday of the sport in Munich, or fixies in San Francisco. Anyone who ever reads blogs like bikesnobnyc can't fail to appreciate and enjoy a bit of amateur bike-spotting, so I thought I would put it to you all: what would be the perfect bike for a particular city you've been to or spent some time in?

The beginnings of my list might go something like this - a combination of my observations of what the locals ride and my own thoughts on what I observed while riding there myself.

Sydney: Totally dependent on where you live, but we have far-flung suburbs by world standards, so something you can do distance on - MTB with slicks and a low riding position, or a toughened roadie to deal with lumpy roads.

Amsterdam:
Something so heavy it's hard to heave over or steal, because bike theft is rampant there. Should allow you to ride on wet roads but stay dry and grease-free, even if you're wearing long pants (as you generally will be). There isn't much point to a fast, low bike there, as the bike paths are always packed with people moseying along - leave the roadie at home here.

Nottingham: Roadiefied MTB, with the most armoured tyres you can find to combat glass punctures and pound down wet, slippery towpaths. MTB types without studs in winter, as they are better suited to intermittent ice and snow than studded buzzards. Ensure you have a lock which would guarantee triumph in hand-to-hand combat with a taxi.

Munich: Nothing too flashy, because it will be scratched and rained on - nobody covers their bikes there and 90% of commuter donkeys live their entire lives on the street, and spend a third of the year covered in snow. You need MTB tyes in winter, ideally studded, because the ice will hang around forever. Ideally your bike should stem from the early heyday of MTB - I saw so many classics just leant up against a wall while the owner popped into a shop fuer Milch und eine Zeitung.

Edinburgh: 26 trials bike (with saddle). Nothing to do with wanting to ride like Danny McAskgill, but rather the fact that a weekend there left my roadie wheels with a few broken spokes, and it's a compact city with loads of "shape".

London: Singlespeed roadie with mudguards. You won't often hit top speed around the short and twisty streets, and there are many small rolling hills where you are better off standing and delivering rather than easing back on the gears. You don't want to spend much time screwing with your drivetrain in a city with so much rain and cruft laying about. Fixies are there in abundance, although "fauxies" seem to be preferred by the couriers.

Tehran/Bangkok:
The bus, unless you hold your life cheap.

Thoughts? Opinion?

Henry Risson

Cannon Fodder
haha bangkok is about right. anyone know what the fixies are around sydney? Like elizabeth st don't know what they are but they're like black with green rims (sorry i'm not very descriptive) i saw heaps of them

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
I was in Helsinki this time last year. Loads of Finnish made step-throughs called 'Jopo' - truly hideous things with the frame made from two pressed steel sections welded together like some Soviet era take on monocoque design. More serious cyclists seemed to be riding low to mid-end cyclocross bikes, which actually made a lot of sense. Can't remember seeing many road or mountain bikes. And there were a bunch of Copenhagen style cargo bikes. I'd love to see what sort of bikes get ridden in winter there, if at all.