The pet thread, post em up!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is Henry.

We got him when he was 6 weeks old for free, I hope his brother and sister found a home too!

He's now 9 months old, this photo is him on the kitchen bench where he know's his not allowed! Haha!

Attachments

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
He's now 9 months old, this photo is him on the kitchen bench where he know's his not allowed! Haha!
He sure is a cute cat. Cats don't care what you say and just do things when you aren't looking.
The only time you will get a little respect is when they are hungry.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
This is Bonnie. She was left in a drop off box at Mudgee Pound, rescued by a Newcastle group, and ended up with a foster family in Lithgow. My wife found her online, and we ended up going camping for the weekend in Lithgow to go meet her - it was totally worth the trip, she's a gem of a dog.

We're just not sure what she's crossed with. She's a little stockier than a pure Kelpie, especially in the snout, and has these big long legs and big paws, we figured she had more growing to do, but she's probably close to two now and her paws are still big compared to her body. Her paws have a kinda dappled white and tan pattern on them - we've considered everything from Cattle Dog, to Dingo, to Labrador! She's not nearly as high energy as your average Kelpie - the reason we went after her - so figure something in her breeding has calmed down the normal Keplie hyperactive behaviour.

This pic is from a few weeks back when we took her camping to Mystery Bay, south of Narooma. Amazingly beautiful place, with a beach that's off leash for dogs before 9am and after 5pm. She had the time of her life :)

IMG_0244.jpg

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Brother just got a new dog, this is Havoc. Scottish deer hound, only 16 weeks right now, gunna be a big boy! Second photo you can see he's already ducking his head under the back rest to fit through.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Brother just got a new dog, this is Havoc. Scottish deer hound, only 16 weeks right now, gunna be a big boy! Second photo you can see he's already ducking his head under the back rest to fit through.

Forget the Kombi, your Bro's gunna need a minivan to fit that beast!

Looks like love in the first pic :heh:

clockworked

Like an orange
We're just not sure what she's crossed with. She's a little stockier than a pure Kelpie, especially in the snout, and has these big long legs and big paws, we figured she had more growing to do, but she's probably close to two now and her paws are still big compared to her body. Her paws have a kinda dappled white and tan pattern on them - we've considered everything from Cattle Dog, to Dingo, to Labrador! She's not nearly as high energy as your average Kelpie - the reason we went after her - so figure something in her breeding has calmed down the normal Keplie hyperactive behaviour.

View attachment 334786
that looks like a huntaway

golden path

Banned
They are an awesome, beautiful natured dog.

I had one, but sadly he got bone cancer at only 5 years old and I had to have him put down not long after the diagnosis. They are a bit prone to it, as with most giant breeds.

This is my 14 month old wolfhound x deerhound, Ben. Jumping some waves down Apollo Bay.

Different nature on this fellow to my deerhound and staghound - for while he's gentle around friends and kids if you were a stranger who jumped the fence you'd be in real strife. Bloody awesome guard dog. :clap2:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
They are an awesome, beautiful natured dog.

I had one, but sadly he got bone cancer at only 5 years old and I had to have him put down not long after the diagnosis. They are a bit prone to it, as with most giant breeds.

This is my 14 month old wolfhound x deerhound, Ben. Jumping some waves down Apollo Bay.

Different nature on this fellow to my deerhound and staghound - for while he's gentle around friends and kids if you were a stranger who jumped the fence you'd be in real strife. Bloody awesome guard dog. :clap2:
He's adorable! Love big dogs and their big dumb smiles.

Yeah he's a nice little (for now) dog, but guard dog? Hmmm, maybe not, he gets scared of leaves falling onto the deck haha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

golden path

Banned
Yeah, deerhounds are generally quiet and not much of a guard dog beyond their large size putting people off messing with them. Your bro probably knows this already but these big dogs need a real good diet, with lots of chicken frames and chicken necks and a good dry food to support their spectacular growth rate. The chicken frames and necks give them natural calcium and phosphorous for their bones and also protein and fat. Calcium supplements are BAD and can cause abnormal bone growth.

This dog's shown guarding instincts from since when he was little. I don't mind it and I know when the Mrs goes walking with him she's safe as he'd tear your face off if you had a go at her. :)

I just warn people that want to pat him, to let him suss them out first rather than just shoving their hand in his face. He tends to move away if that happens until he's satisfied they're OK, but I prefer to play it safe.

As for other dogs.....he's generally fine but is extremely dominant and given what wolfhounds were bred for I keep him away from other dogs in case they have a go at him. He's as strong as an ox and takes some controlling.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Yeah, deerhounds are generally quiet and not much of a guard dog beyond their large size putting people off messing with them. Your bro probably knows this already but these big dogs need a real good diet, with lots of chicken frames and chicken necks and a good dry food to support their spectacular growth rate. The chicken frames and necks give them natural calcium and phosphorous for their bones and also protein and fat. Calcium supplements are BAD and can cause abnormal bone growth.

This dog's shown guarding instincts from since when he was little. I don't mind it and I know when the Mrs goes walking with him she's safe as he'd tear your face off if you had a go at her. :)

I just warn people that want to pat him, to let him suss them out first rather than just shoving their hand in his face. He tends to move away if that happens until he's satisfied they're OK, but I prefer to play it safe.

As for other dogs.....he's generally fine but is extremely dominant and given what wolfhounds were bred for I keep him away from other dogs in case they have a go at him. He's as strong as an ox and takes some controlling.
Yup, his diet is set out with all natural stuff, lots of chicken, necks and the rest and even some vege's thrown in. He's bought all the books he could find and joined forums, glad to see he's not being a wanker owning a big dog cos he wanted it. His reasoning was silly, trying to keep his 'cultural heritage' (we're Callum and Hamish McDonald, don't get more Scottish than that...). Growth rate, bloody hell he put on 5kg in 3 weeks!

I don't think he's going to be as hairy as yours, that's a proper ball of fluff and beard. I love em, big old ugly hairy mutts but the sweetest things. Always loved big dogs, miss our old Danes but they eat sooo much and fencing off the yard again would be a massive job. I'm finding the opposite with taking Havoc out, haven't had this many gorgeous young girls come up to me since, well, ummmmm, well you know, ever.

golden path

Banned
Cool. Sounds like he's all over it and he'll be rewarded with a sensational dog.

They start out smooth coated, and start fluffing up around 12 months old and take about two years to be full grown.

This is my deerhound Flash. Beautiful dog and he was my pride and joy.

He finished at 50kg and 32 inches at the shoulder and TBH was a silly sausage for the first two years and a real handful.

The new bloke is about the same size already and I expect he'll be slightly bigger in the end, with wolfhound in him. His beard is deffo bigger, LOL. This one is a bit silly too, not quite as bad and both dogs would pull the washing off the line all the time.

We saw a pure, white wolfhound a few months back, who was 90kg and looked like a polar bear. :bounce:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
We're trying to find a dog at the moment, something that I can take running and that my partner can train for agility - e.g. a kelpie, cattle dog, border collie etc.

We were trying to rescue from pounds/ through RSPCA but so far two of the dogs we've been close to adopting have been great but had hip issues confirmed when vet has checked them out...

The third one was a beautiful kelpie X that we took from a pound, she lasted a few days before she deteriorated rapidly and we found out she had parvo and had to be put down immediately (also some other issues like worms, really underweight and she shat out a big piece of plastic, so had a pretty rough start to begin with).

Pretty sick of all the backyard breeding by people who have no concept of genetics or basic good health (i.e. giving dogs vaccinations so they don't get preventable diseases!)

We're pretty close to forking out for a sound dog from a registered breeder, which wasn't the initial plan. As much as we would like to take an unwanted dog, so many aren't up to being a long-term active companions..

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest and hopefully will have a happy post in here with a dog friend soon!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Here's some crappy phone photos of the Doggens tonight....

they are fast... real fast.
Are they greyhounds or whippets Lazmo? Can't quite tell from the photos. Do they come on rides with you at all?

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
We're trying to find a dog at the moment, something that I can take running and that my partner can train for agility - e.g. a kelpie, cattle dog, border collie etc.

We were trying to rescue from pounds/ through RSPCA but so far two of the dogs we've been close to adopting have been great but had hip issues confirmed when vet has checked them out...

The third one was a beautiful kelpie X that we took from a pound, she lasted a few days before she deteriorated rapidly and we found out she had parvo and had to be put down immediately (also some other issues like worms, really underweight and she shat out a big piece of plastic, so had a pretty rough start to begin with).

Pretty sick of all the backyard breeding by people who have no concept of genetics or basic good health (i.e. giving dogs vaccinations so they don't get preventable diseases!)

We're pretty close to forking out for a sound dog from a registered breeder, which wasn't the initial plan. As much as we would like to take an unwanted dog, so many aren't up to being a long-term active companions..

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest and hopefully will have a happy post in here with a dog friend soon!
I've got a Vizsla that I take riding and my wife takes walking/jogging. They are supposed to be good agility dogs but he can't focus with all the other dogs around. We gave up on the agility as it would have been a long grind for no real gain. He's great as a trail dog - follows well and is fast as. He's great out in crowds and stuff like walking through busy footpaths next to the pram. Only problem is that he gets pretty protective of my wife and son when out walking and barks and lunges at dogs like Staffy's, Boxers, Pit Bulls etc (all of which would destroy his 25kg skinny arse) but barely notices small dogs and loves dogs like Labs and Great Danes. He also needs a good run often. Today its been pissing down all day so he got no walk, he's been pulling the back cushions off the couch (the big ones that are part of the couch), running into our sons room while he's asleep to lick his head, jumping on my wife while she lays on the couch, stealing parts of my sons train tracks, stealing stuffed toys etc. They are probably too boisterous for a family with children under 6 or 7 but we got him thinking kids weren't going to happen and well........... Vizslas are really Dr Jeckel and Mr Hyde - i.e. crazy or sooky. He's a bloody character and we love having him but he's a challenge at times.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
065E6AA5-5309-4055-B304-13C80A929B9B.jpgMy rescue cocker spaniel Lola. She's 10 and without her, I wouldn't have got thru cancer treatment hell last year, after losing my Cockalier, Jet. Also Darling Daughter with her rescue Bull Arab, Big Man, 75kg of sweet boofhead lap dog. He was only 2yro and had already had three owners, stolen from Kangaroo Island.

Attachments

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
This is Henry.

We got him when he was 6 weeks old for free, I hope his brother and sister found a home too!

Sure that's the same cat? Blue eyes in first photo then green in the next!

^^^ Dats cool!

Ours as a kitten:

View attachment 334754
Damn that's one happy looking cat!!! Could be a youtube sensation.

Here's some crappy phone photos of the Doggens tonight....

they are fast... real fast.
Love the mid stride butt sniff in the middle photo!