The Photo Snob Thread

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Nice shot! Good thread resurrection too.
Haha cheers.

That is a huge piece of lightening!
Got super lucky just tapping the shutter while planning between 2 angles. The pink tinge to the right was the sun setting. Sydney CBD can be seen along the horizon just right of centre and the storm had rolled through to the left heading out to sea. Just caught the bolt at the right moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I took this photo a few years ago while descending from the top of the hill at Glentress Forest (Peebles near Edinburgh) I didn't get the focus quite right but it adds what appears to be a speed blur effect and turned out ok. The lads around here ride in shorts all through winter!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Gurus ....
Any advice about reasonable compact dlsr models for me to look at for occasional use. Really we tend to use our phones as cameras nowadays but have a trip coming up with the kids so I’m considering picking up something 2nd hand (I assume) that’s not too bulky or complex to use but will shoot some nicer landscape and family photos. Will be kept after the trip and used occasionally.

Thinking budget of a $500 to $800 would be as much or more than I’d like to spend. Not sure if this is pointless?

Any suggestions on models and lense choice?

Cheaper new or 2nd hand better ?

Any links to options including fleabay and scumtree (Brisbane region only) would be appreciated.

Thanks

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look at mirrorless options if you want something compact. Fujifilm, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic all have decent stuff, with Fuji and Sony being the class leaders. I find Fuji is the most user friendly, although I've been using their kit for a few years now so I guess I'm biased

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a Sony A6000 - was cheap usally good deals, coming from Nikon the interface and ergonomics are not ideal but image quality was good and with some cheap Sigma primes I was very happy.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Look at mirrorless options if you want something compact. Fujifilm, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic all have decent stuff, with Fuji and Sony being the class leaders. I find Fuji is the most user friendly, although I've been using their kit for a few years now so I guess I'm biased
This mirrorless option intrigues me. Is the photo quality as good as the traditional DSLR ? Are they compatible with the same lenses as the DSLRs or more restricted / different ?