The Photo Snob Thread

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Bumping up this thread because I'm particularly proud of this shot. There's only four windows each year you'll see the Milky Way rise under a new moon from this cave, then you get a couple of hours to take the shot before either the sun comes up or it disappears overhead. On top of that you need to line up the low tide because as the tide comes back in it submerges the rocks and cuts off your way out. Oh and then you need a clear sky as well, I got lucky on this morning with just a whisp of high cloud on the horizon.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Bumping up this thread because I'm particularly proud of this shot. There's only four windows each year you'll see the Milky Way rise under a new moon from this cave, then you get a couple of hours to take the shot before either the sun comes up or it disappears overhead. On top of that you need to line up the low tide because as the tide comes back in it submerges the rocks and cuts off your way out. Oh and then you need a clear sky as well, I got lucky on this morning with just a whisp of high cloud on the horizon.
great job, what are those horizontal shadow lines at the bottom of the mw?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Horizon glows are ships? Looks awesome!
Coal ships, good old Newcastle.

great job, what are those horizontal shadow lines at the bottom of the mw?
Some high level cloud hanging about above the horizon.

were you the only one in the cave or was there an orderly queue @cokeonspecialtwodollars?
Just me, it's a reasonably secluded spot and probably not many people interested in making the 2km trek in at 3am.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My trusty D800 has a zillion shots on it and I have been thinking about a new body and keeping the 800 as a back up. Something compatible with my existing lenses because I have some good glass. Thus a D860 or superseded 850 was on the list. But so was the Z7ii, but lo a Z9 is available... new mount but my AF-S lenses will be fine and I can grab a wide zoom with the body... specs look impressive. Time to test drive when stock arrives, but...

...Anyone gone straight to mirrorless? Thoughts?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Thoughts in what context?

I went to mirrorless about 5 years back after a sequence of Canons… 350D > 40D > 5D > 1D iii > 6D (1D was stolen, no insurance) > A7ii. Currently on a6500 which is a bit of a downgrade but wanted something even smaller and am only shooting for enjoyment these days so can cope with the compromises to get the portability.

Honestly can’t see a reason to buy anything with a mirror assembly in it these days. Z9 looks awesome.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just general use. I can't see any reason not to. Earlier comparisons between the Z7 and D850 were not really that conclusive but the Z9 looks to do everything I need plus much better video. At the expense of $ and some lens compatibility. Z lenses are even more expensive it seems. ThecD850/60 uses a different grip so by the time I factor that and extra batteries the Z9 is under $2k more with better future proofing.
D6 was a thought but it gains me so little it isn't worth $4k more.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thoughts in what context?

I went to mirrorless about 5 years back after a sequence of Canons… 350D > 40D > 5D > 1D iii > 6D (1D was stolen, no insurance) > A7ii. Currently on a6500 which is a bit of a downgrade but wanted something even smaller and am only shooting for enjoyment these days so can cope with the compromises to get the portability.

Honestly can’t see a reason to buy anything with a mirror assembly in it these days. Z9 looks awesome.
Agreed so much better not using 7kg weight for carry on all in camera gear! Old Nikon definitely felt better in hand though.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm in the L-mount universe, and while a lot of it shrinks, I have a couple of Panasonic S-Pro lenses that are absolute tanks.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looked at other brands for mirrorless. Lots of good options. I made the decision to go Nikon when I went autofocus. Sold a Minolta XM and a couple of lenses because Nikon committed to supporting the F mount backwards and forwards. Bought good glass over the years and can still use old manual lenses on the D800. Z cameras use Z mounts. AF-S lenses are OK but AF-D and older probably not without dicking around... I still want a back up camera and not to buy $1m in new lenses so guess I will stick with Nikon. Plus Nikon suits me being left eyed and all.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The problem with full-frame mirrorless is that while the camera body shrinks (shorter lens mount flange distance) as the body doesn't have to allow for the mirror box, the lenses grow as they still need to project the same image circle over the sensor at the same distance the lens iris and sensor for a given focal length/optical design. This was an issue with the a7rII I owned. The camera was small, but carrying more than the one lens typically made for a physically larger/heavier kit than Canon full-frame equivalent.

If you want to keep the lenses (which makes sense, as the high quality lenses are far more important a body with a good sensor) - IMO I'd just buy another D-SLR, but just try and get one with an articulating back screen. In my experience (earlier Fuji, and a7rII) digital "viewfinders" don't feel at all natural or "real time" no matter how much marketing guff they throw at it. If I was composing a shot on mirrorless I found I'd just use the rear screen 95% of the time anyway, and an optical viewfinder was better for action type shots anyway.