The Photo Snob Thread

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Alright, post up your recent acquisitions, gear questions etc.

Please do not quote other people's images (or the thread will have ten brazilian images and take forever to load)
Cheers for that suggestion leitch :)

This thread was envisaged more as a tech sort of discussion than a 'post your happy snaps' thread, we have an entire forum called phat snaps, so put your pics in there if you think it fits better. The occasional pic in here is fine if it illustrates your point or something, try to post only a single image.

Last edited:

bunya djer n dher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright, post up your recent acquisitions, cool shots etc.

Here's a recent shot of mine:

Witty captions anyone?
note to cell.."remember to bring a pair of clean underpants next time"

thats a freaking sick shot!... really captures the fear that the guy must of been felling haha...

Last edited by a moderator:

willy_c

Likes Dirt
Just a suggestion too if I may....Add in camers type, model, and photo setting eg iso, shutter speed, f stop etc so people can possibly replicate the conditions if wanting to learn...

Cheers

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Ooo very good! Looking forward to getting into this thread!

Goin out, but i'll be back in a bit to post something:p

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Well i've started getting into the cheaper side of photography; ie. Film. I have one option for shooting. That is, two halves. my mum's camera, only available sometimes, and my own, which needs to be repaired. an internal wiring problem has rendered unusable at the moment. My mum's is a Pentax MZ-5n with 28-80mm lens. It's AF and MF. only been using MF at the moment. My own camera is a Pentax P30 with tamron 28mm MF only.

After i've taken my cam to the local camera repairman, i either get it repaired, or find it's too expensive and purchase a camera body off ebay etc (probably a Canon simply for intercompatability of lenses etc). If i buy a new camera, what is a good body to be on the lookout for? obviously wanting to keep it pretty cheap.

Unfortunately all our old hotshoe flashes, lenses, and general gear is long gone; passed on to someone or sold at a garage sale, meaning i only have the built in flash on mums, and none whatsoever for my own. regardless of camera choice, i'm going to need some flashes soon. what are my best options for flashes and remotes/cables? i don't mind running cable attached for a while, but those cactus triggers are quite cheap so that's easy enough. how much am i likely to pay for a good beginners flash?

I punched through a roll of film over the last week, on mums camera, onboard flash only. All very grainy. shots at night at monster didn't come out at all as i was too distanced and problems alike etc. To try and cut the learning curve narrow i've been keeping a journal of camera settings for each photo so i can decide what issues there were and how shots cam be improved, but if there's any particularly good sites for learning proper manual photography aswell that would be great. i think that outlines pretty much everything.

cheers guys

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Well i've started getting into the cheaper side of photography; ie. Film. I have one option for shooting. That is, two halves. my mum's camera, only available sometimes, and my own, which needs to be repaired. an internal wiring problem has rendered unusable at the moment. My mum's is a Pentax MZ-5n with 28-80mm lens. It's AF and MF. only been using MF at the moment. My own camera is a Pentax P30 with tamron 28mm MF only.

After i've taken my cam to the local camera repairman, i either get it repaired, or find it's too expensive and purchase a camera body off ebay etc (probably a Canon simply for intercompatability of lenses etc). If i buy a new camera, what is a good body to be on the lookout for? obviously wanting to keep it pretty cheap.

Unfortunately all our old hotshoe flashes, lenses, and general gear is long gone; passed on to someone or sold at a garage sale, meaning i only have the built in flash on mums, and none whatsoever for my own. regardless of camera choice, i'm going to need some flashes soon. what are my best options for flashes and remotes/cables? i don't mind running cable attached for a while, but those cactus triggers are quite cheap so that's easy enough. how much am i likely to pay for a good beginners flash?

I punched through a roll of film over the last week, on mums camera, onboard flash only. All very grainy. shots at night at monster didn't come out at all as i was too distanced and problems alike etc. To try and cut the learning curve narrow i've been keeping a journal of camera settings for each photo so i can decide what issues there were and how shots cam be improved, but if there's any particularly good sites for learning proper manual photography aswell that would be great. i think that outlines pretty much everything.

cheers guys
You might be able to pick up another Pentax body so that you can keep using the 28mm lens (shame I didn't know earlier as I flogged one oon ebay for bugger all that I could have given you).

Your main expense is going to be glass; 35mm bodies are cheap as chips (I saw a pro grade Pentax body that would have cost many thousands a few years ago sell on ebay for a few hundred bucks)

Definitely keep up with the journal of settings as it's the only way you will learn with film.

Your film choice will affect things too. Fuji Reala has a good rep though I've never shot it. If you can be bothered with the hassle of slide film, Fuji Velvia is just breathtaking.

Sorry, I don't have any reccomendations about web sites, give google a go. You really want to learn about depth of field and how it relates to aperture and shutter speed, as well as how exposure works in general.

Edit: This is Fuji Velvia:

Last edited:

hubbie

Forever 1,337
cheers brisneyman. I'll look in to films aswell. Is it worth just buying ISO 100 and using the ISO adjustment on the camera if necessary?
Also, i made sure i got the Kodak prints as opposed to some cheap ones, to ensure quality, but I'm also looking into negatives scanning with our scanner, and me and mum were pondering constructing a darkroom. could it be worth it for saving money on printing and quality control? I was thinking even just about treating the negatives, then if our printer does a good enough job, just scan pics, rather than printing, to save money. verdict? am i crazy?

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
cheers brisneyman. I'll look in to films aswell. Is it worth just buying ISO 100 and using the ISO adjustment on the camera if necessary?
I *think* what you're talking about is 'pushing' film, which can be done successfully, but you need to let the lab know. Personally, I wouldn't do it as I don't trust labs to get things like that right. And, you have to push the entire roll, not just a single shot.

but I'm also looking into negatives scanning with our scanner, and me and mum were pondering constructing a darkroom. could it be worth it for saving money on printing and quality control? I was thinking even just about treating the negatives, then if our printer does a good enough job, just scan pics, rather than printing, to save money. verdict? am i crazy?
I've developed and printed my own film before, and it's not hard, but I've only done b&w. I think colour is several orders of magnitude harder, and more expensive. For b&w it's a viable option, as commercial labs rarely do it right, but for colour stuff I wouldn't bother. In either case, cost isn't going to be much different either way I suspect.

A flatbed scanner probably won't be up to the task of scanning negs with the goal of decent prints (i.e 8X10) in mind, I'm sorry to say. Home printers these days are very capable, but keep in mind that your local lab probably uses a $50 000 printer, and very high quality paper. If you want your prints to look good in 50+ years, get the lab to do it.

I just bought a very old (1965ish) film camera on ebay and will probably shoot almost exclusively b&w, get the film developed and scanned by the lab and make prints only of the shots I really, really like.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I know a Motorsport photographer/racer who owns some photolabs in Brisbane - they should have the skills to get it right - PM me if you want the details.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
I *think* what you're talking about is 'pushing' film, which can be done successfully, but you need to let the lab know. Personally, I wouldn't do it as I don't trust labs to get things like that right. And, you have to push the entire roll, not just a single shot.
on the camera there is a dial that says ISO and has + or - 1,2,3. Few more questions. How should i clean lenses? with a sunglasses chamois thing? Are $9.95 Kodak prints from the chemist ok? My P30's 28mm Tamron has a Skylight 1B. Is it likely to jsut be a clear filter? i doesn't seem to have any apparent colour to it. And if i'm looking at camera bodies, is it worth just going with a Canon for lens compatability? What bodies should i be looking out for? I'm checking out a few EOS' on Ebay.

thanks for the help

RCOH

Eats Squid
I also just got a Pentax film SLR, with 2 lenses (25-80, 75-300) & am looking to try & improve my photography skills a bit, so this thread is handy.

Here are a couple of pics from my first roll of film:

Last edited:

arpit

Banned
RCOH nice work mate. I like the second one. The first one is growing on me. It just makes me smile :)

RCOH

Eats Squid
Thanks guys! I deleted the bike pic as was pretty shit in comparison.

Hubbie, like you, I will keep a journal of settings but that roll of pics of Bill & Jem was just f#@king around, perhaps a bit of a fluke they came out so well.

I have to learn about aperture, f-stops, ISO, glare, right light, pretty much everything.

Arpit, glad you like the pics!