The Photo Snob Thread

syko

Likes Dirt
So mum got a new car the other day and so i took it out for a bit of a photoshoot in Anglesea.
This is my first time shooting cars and so it might be crap but let me know what you think so i can get better.

clk anyone?

Great Ocean Road ft clk

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Nice car! The first one isnt bad, by the flair is annoying for me, the second would have been awesome with flashes on the side of the car!

Also snobs, im thinking about some new glass,(oh wait, i dont have glass anyway) I have an 1000d at the moment, and it would stay that way for a while after a new lens, (then probs a 7D after a long time..) so im thinking a 17-40 f.4, f.4 isnt great but the 17mm would be nice for riding/landscape. Or the 24-70 2.8, would be a nicer around lens i guess?

Toff

Likes Dirt
Also snobs, im thinking about some new glass,(oh wait, i dont have glass anyway) I have an 1000d at the moment, and it would stay that way for a while after a new lens, (then probs a 7D after a long time..) so im thinking a 17-40 f.4, f.4 isnt great but the 17mm would be nice for riding/landscape. Or the 24-70 2.8, would be a nicer around lens i guess?
24-70 L series? or Sigma?

Whilst I'm not exactly a qualified snob, I do have a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and can highly recommend it. I've got a 10-20 to deal with wide angle stuff, which leaves the 24-70 to do pretty much everything else. The extra zoom is really handy, coming from the kit 18-55 lens I had. I would probably find 40mm a bit short for an all-rounder. What lens are you using now?

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
alexx23 said:
Nice car! The first one isnt bad, by the flair is annoying for me, the second would have been awesome with flashes on the side of the car!

17-40 is great on crop, but bad on fullframe...the corners are very soft. Crop bodies don't use the corners, so its an amazing lens on a crop.

24-70 is a better lens overall, and f2.8 adds to its appeal. However, 24 on crop is pretty narrow for landscape, and even on ff it's not much of a landscape lens. if you want to shoot landscapes, get the 17-40. If you want to shoot portraits and everything in general, get the 24-70.

Since you mention riding and landscape, and have a crop body, you might consider the 17-40 over the two.:)

edit:

I took this at 17mm, and use fullframe. You can see the edges are pretty soft and rough, even though the picture has been squished to 800.

Last edited:

alexx23

Likes Dirt
After the canon toff, thanks for that.

I see what your saying olly, thanks very much too, im pretty much trying to move away form shooting 18mm riding shots anyway, ~24mm at f.28 seems like a much nicer idea.

I now have my heart set on the 24-70, and by the way i don't shoot land scape much and i also have a 18-55 kit for that if need be, The annoyance for me at the moment, is that i seem to have to change lens a lot, form the 50mm 1.8 to the 18-55, and i rarely open up the 50mm past 2.8 or so anyway. I guess to that the 24-70 would be good if i am lucky enough to end up with a fullframe one day to!

cheers guys!

syko

Likes Dirt
Thanks. Yeah i was intending for the flair to be there, hmm i will have to invest in some triggers then as it was just shot with my 1000D and 15mm fisheye (yes i know its on a crop body and it's not that fishy, but i still like it and i can get some fishness from it, i just need to save up another $6000 to get the 1ds mk4)

alexx23

Likes Dirt
sounds good syko!

I spent two and a bit hours with the photographer chris young i was talking about a few weeks back yesterday at his new studio, man its awesome. Cant wait for my first wedding in February! I learnt so much yesterday, nothing about composition or settings, or anything to do with taking photos.

Just stuff about being a photographer, how to handle people when taking photos, whats important when being a photographer and the typical mistakes people make in making the subject(person/couple) feel comfortable , something that i never really thought about.

Should be an awesome experience!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
sounds good syko!

I spent two and a bit hours with the photographer chris young i was talking about a few weeks back yesterday at his new studio, man its awesome. Cant wait for my first wedding in February! I learnt so much yesterday, nothing about composition or settings, or anything to do with taking photos.

Just stuff about being a photographer, how to handle people when taking photos, whats important when being a photographer and the typical mistakes people make in making the subject(person/couple) feel comfortable , something that i never really thought about.

Should be an awesome experience!
A work college of mine and I are doing a wedding in March. Being more outdoor/landscape photogs, we don't have much of a clue between us but the groom insisted that if we don't, an uncle is going to do it for us on a point-and-shoot. Great.

A few more from a recent trip...

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Well I'm not sure if im alowed to post for sale threads in here, and if im not please delete. I have seen a few so i guess i can :)

Well i have no use for my kit lens 75-300mm lens. It is not IS. It came with my 400D kit about 2 or so years ago and i dont ever remember using it. I would prefer a local pick up. It would make a good run about lens. I thought i would offer it to Rotoburners befor the ebayers. PM me an offer if your interested.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
haha, good luck with it then! I have been asked to second shoot for my step sisters wedding aswell, so that should be a bit of fun! It would be pretty freaky to shoot a wedding by your self the first time.!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
haha, good luck with it then! I have been asked to second shoot for my step sisters wedding aswell, so that should be a bit of fun! It would be pretty freaky to shoot a wedding by your self the first time.!
It's not as big a deal as most people think it is. You just have to be quick, on the ball, and know what's going on, where, when. In reality anyone who has basic DSLR knowledge should be able to shoot a wedding by using general common sense...it's no different to shooting a gig or event.

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
My first gig was stressful but it ironed out after the ceremony was over. :)

The trick is to stay calm and apply common sense as Tristan has already pointed out.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Before I hit up eBay, does anyone have a 50mm f1.8 Canon EF they want to unload? Rather support a fellow Snobber than shonks on EGay.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If there's any snobbers running with Pentax gear out there, my Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye is for sale.

I'm also selling my Pentax k10D with grip, 18-55 f3.5-4, 70-300 f3.5-4, three batteries and 4gb card, that will be on eBay tomorrow, if anyone is interested I would rather help out them than chuck it on eBay. $1200 posted.

7D soon :D