The Photo Snob Thread

0psi

Eats Squid
In need of a little advice from the bright minds of Farkin. Looking at a new camera and can't figure out whether to go for a really good super zoom (like a Fuji HS20) or an entry level DSLR like a Nikon D3100.

I spend a reasonable amount of time in the middle of nowhere so the HS20 is convenient as I don't have to lug around lenses and I'm not going to be as worried about getting crap in the body as it's a fixed lens. Plus it's a little quicker between shots than a basic DSLR and can shoot 6 frames per second which is handy as I'm usually pointed at animals. The obvious elephant in the corner is the the compact sized sensor, some of the crops I've seen from the HS20 (especially in low light) have been a little average. I'll probably only ever be blowing up photos to 16x20 at the largest and 90% of what I do is in decent light, so my question is, do I really need the better quality of a DSLR or will a decent superzoom do the trick.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Opsi, I would also consider one of the mirror less cameras. They are going to be lighter and smaller than a DSLR and I feel that lens interchangeability is a definite advantage even if you leave an all purpose zoom mounted for the majority of usage. Most also have high burst rates and are comparable to the super zoom camera you mentioned.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You've got your signature hyperlinked. How did you do that? Or is it based on the number of posts here?
Hey Kathie,

There should be a hyperlink function in your User Settings under 'Edit Signature'. Just input the text you want linked > highlight > click the hyperlink button and paste URL > away you go!

kathiemt

Likes Bikes
Hey Kathie,

There should be a hyperlink function in your User Settings under 'Edit Signature'. Just input the text you want linked > highlight > click the hyperlink button and paste URL > away you go!
No, there isn't. And when I look at the bottom of the screen it has signature permissions html marked as no.

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
That is great.

Where exactly is it? I've been looking for a location like that for a while.
Cleveland - there is a lighthouse down there, its just on the little block of land next to it. Shore st North I think its called on google maps. High tide is best, its quite average at low. Its falling apart a lot more now too, so best get there sooner rather than later.

Hey Tim, I like how you've set up this image at http://www.flickr.com/photos/timcz/5399731314/in/photostream. What did you use to produce the shadow behind effect?
Not entirely sure what you mean by the shadow behind effect? But in general - all i did was set up the camera, used an ND filter and GND filter, then just ran a simple levels/curves process on it in photoshop.

tre0001

Likes Dirt
i believe she is referring to the drop shadow effect on the border, need to know what program you are using kathie, goggling "drop shadow text"

http://www.photoshopbuzz.com/364/drop-shadow-text-photoshop/

is basically what you need to do, just remember to expand the size of your canvas and save as a PNG to maintain the transparent background

and have a play with the settings.

Also need to mention been some great work over the last few pages, inspiring me to get back out with the camera. cheers.

TimCz83

Likes Dirt
Ahh ok - there is a simple drop shadow effect that you can use in photoshop. Basically you would duplicate the layer, expand the canvas on the backgroudn layer to create the white border (add a 'stroke' if need be as a simple 1 pixel border around the image itself), then add the drop shadow effect. I used to use an action that I created myself for this, now I just use one from Fred Miranda website. Flatten it again, then "save for web" to ensure it embeds srgb colour profile.

Agreed too - some good stuff on here - its been months since ive picked up my camera so very keen to head out with it again soon.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thought I'd share a close call over the weekend.

Wedding last Sunday. I borrowed an SB900 flash as I hope to eventually purchase one as an addition/update to my SB600s. Spent a bit of time in the fortnight prior putting it through it's paces to familiarize myself.

On the day, it went really well....right up until high temp cut of kicked in *just as the couple were exchanging rings* (!!!)
It seems my use of rechargeable batteries (as opposed to standard alkaline in the flash probably caused the cut off as they heat up during operation. That at the flash is engineered to be hyper-sensitive.

Had I not been carrying a spare SB600 in my back pocket, it could well have turned into a disaster.

It confirms a couple of things though. If you're ever dabbling in this sort of work:
a) make sure you have a back up kit.
b) make sure you have a back up kit handy.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
It confirms a couple of things though. If you're ever dabbling in this sort of work:
a) make sure you have a back up kit.
b) make sure you have a back up kit handy.
I will live by these 2 things for the rest of my life!:single_eye:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Ango, although not easy for some, it should be standard practice for anyone doing a paid shoot of any kind to have a backup. I know when I buy my new body I'll be keeping my current one as a backup incase something ever goes wrong or I need to switch between lenses fast for whatever reason.

On another note, here's my first real attempt at doing a B&W portrait from today's shoot. I'd love some feedback please

6213679312_b88f8d936a_z.jpg

I think it looks better in the black lightbox http://www.flickr.com/photos/55142472@N05/6213679312/lightbox/

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ango, although not easy for some, it should be standard practice for anyone doing a paid shoot of any kind to have a backup. I know when I buy my new body I'll be keeping my current one as a backup incase something ever goes wrong or I need to switch between lenses fast for whatever reason.

On another note, here's my first real attempt at doing a B&W portrait from today's shoot. I'd love some feedback please
looks sick! only bad thing i can pick is the flash reflection on her forehead.