The Photo Snob Thread

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
Been a while since I've been on RB. Here's some shot's from late. Anyone want to buy a 550d?

RG2013-1.jpg

RG2013-2.jpg

RG2013-3.jpg

RG2013-4.jpg

RG2013-5.jpg

RG2013-6.jpg

RG2013-7.jpg

RG2013-8.jpg

RG2013-9.jpg

RG2013-10.jpg

RG2013-11.jpg

RG2013-1.jpg

Some of those have been over-processed but whatever haha. Thoughts?

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Forgot about this place! I have an exam tomorrow, which is probably why I remembered it now...

I was planning to travel but things keep falling through so now I'm looking to (finally) update my gear. Considering a Nikon D600 with a 24-70. The D800 is tasty but an overkill for what I need, and the 24-70 seems like a beautiful workhorse while I save for some primes.

Anyone have any experience or opinions on the D600 and lens suggestions? If something pops up and I can't stretch my budget to the 24-70 what else would you suggest?
The Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 is an excellent lens, yet I too feel a little conflicted in its use. As a workhorse, it's always there ready to do what you tell it. It produces outstanding results, rain or shine, but like the other snobs here, I feel I get more out of photography when using primes.

I still feel it's a necessary part of my kit however and would certainly recommended it, especially mated to a D600.

If the the budget doesn't stretch to the Nikkor lens, the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC is a tidy unit. Softer at the edges than the Nikkor but it's smaller and has the benefit of VC. My old house mate recently overhauled his APS-C kit and came up with this and he's stoked with what he's been able to do with it. 82mm filter fitting is a big of an annoyance however.

Now, photos -

8687506769_366b492120.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryangus/8687506769/in/photostream

Xplor

Likes Dirt
I'd really like to be able to get the 'look' that this guy does with his photos. I really admire post that is done on his photos especially the ones of the guy cleaning the red car (who happens to be my cousin). What does this photographer do in post to get this look in all of his photos?

http://riskynights.tumblr.com/

mitchy_

Llama calmer
god i love this lens. (and these wheels!)

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF50mm f/1.4 USM
Focal Length: 50 mm
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure Time: 0.004 sec (1/250)
ISO: 100

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd really like to be able to get the 'look' that this guy does with his photos. I really admire post that is done on his photos especially the ones of the guy cleaning the red car (who happens to be my cousin). What does this photographer do in post to get this look in all of his photos?

http://riskynights.tumblr.com/

What's with the rims/tyres on that red car? Are the rear tyres way too skinny for the rims or is this some sort new trend?

alexx23

Likes Dirt
What's with the rims/tyres on that red car? Are the rear tyres way too skinny for the rims or is this some sort new trend?
Stretched tires on wider rims allow for stiffer side walls (allegedly), less traction, therefor easier to slide, also allows for better fitment and lower ride hight due to tires staying away from the lip of the guard and also the inner guards while on lock if applied to front wheels. Bit of a fad also at the moment.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently shooting with a Canon 550D, and am looking to move up into using remote flash/strobes. Can anyone recommend a good model of trigger & flash on a budget? Mainly looking to shoot for foreground fill when shooting into the sun and sidelight/highlighting flash for low light/dusk shoots.

Prices/review/opinions please!

Thanks

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I'm currently shooting with a Canon 550D, and am looking to move up into using remote flash/strobes. Can anyone recommend a good model of trigger & flash on a budget? Mainly looking to shoot for foreground fill when shooting into the sun and sidelight/highlighting flash for low light/dusk shoots.

Prices/review/opinions please!

Thanks
check out the yongnuo flashes. look identical to the canon models and are pretty decent. a friend of mine who does a lot of flash/strobe work uses a canon 580 ex ii as his master, and then has 4 yongnuo (i think it's the 565) as slaves.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is it then?

And if i buy VSCO can i put it on Aperture on my laptop and my desktop? Or have to buy to separate?
Once you have it, you have all the files. Can copy to as many computers as you want.

Callan doesnt know this because he has never bought it :party:

bigred86

Likes Bikes
noob

highjack-ok so i'm new to dslrs and i've picked up a nikon d3100 and done a fair bit of reading through the manual and online about its settings and functions as well as a fair few experimental shots..but i can't seem to get good dh shots in low light(under tree canopies in the bush) it seems like by the time i put the shutter speed and iso up a bit and lower the aperture the photos still come out a bit too dark for my liking..do i just have to bite the bullet and get some flash gear or is there another way around it? at the moment my settings are 1/400 shutter speed, apeture on 4.0 and iso on 1600 ,exposure comp on 2.0,matrix metering and continuous focus...with the vr 18-55 lens..am i at least in the right direction with shooting dh in the shade?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
highjack-ok so i'm new to dslrs and i've picked up a nikon d3100 and done a fair bit of reading through the manual and online about its settings and functions as well as a fair few experimental shots..but i can't seem to get good dh shots in low light(under tree canopies in the bush) it seems like by the time i put the shutter speed and iso up a bit and lower the aperture the photos still come out a bit too dark for my liking..do i just have to bite the bullet and get some flash gear or is there another way around it? at the moment my settings are 1/400 shutter speed, apeture on 4.0 and iso on 1600 ,exposure comp on 2.0,matrix metering and continuous focus...with the vr 18-55 lens..am i at least in the right direction with shooting dh in the shade?
First thing is slow your shutter speed down. You do not need to be shooting that fast.
If you're shooting side on to the rider learn to pan when shooting so you keep them in focus and the background will blur.
Lighting gear will help in "some" instances but not at 1/400th as you won't sync with the flash anyway. Keep it under 1/250th.
You can also look at a cheap low light lens like the 50mm 1.8 and shoot around f2-3.2 which will give you up to 2 more stops in light.
By doing these steps you can also bring your iso down a bit to reduce noise.
Hope this helps