The Photo Snob Thread

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work, oh I can completely agree with that feeling you get when you nail a film shot. I got into large format photography a few years back, and the joy of having to meter the scene, calculate for reciprocity, analyse the ground glass (which is upside down!) and finely adjust focus using tilt and shift is unmatchable. That and the feeling of getting 6x4 transparencies back and viewing them on a lightbox with a loupe, your jaw just drops at the sheer resolution contained within it ! Amazing stuff, I will one day get back into it, but the cost of processing each shot is horrendous, worked out to be something like $15 per shot when you factor in cost of film and processing

heavyp

You heard it here first
Nice work, oh I can completely agree with that feeling you get when you nail a film shot. I got into large format photography a few years back, and the joy of having to meter the scene, calculate for reciprocity, analyse the ground glass (which is upside down!) and finely adjust focus using tilt and shift is unmatchable. That and the feeling of getting 6x4 transparencies back and viewing them on a lightbox with a loupe, your jaw just drops at the sheer resolution contained within it ! Amazing stuff, I will one day get back into it, but the cost of processing each shot is horrendous, worked out to be something like $15 per shot when you factor in cost of film and processing
Glad to hear your shooting large format, I have a 5x4 cam also but have a 6x9 film back for it so shooting and developing black and white is a cheaper option, your right about e6 thou It cost me $12 a shot so unless its for a project or something pretty special ill just shoot B&W and get 8 shots out of a 120 roll.

I shot a few portraits in the studio of the guys that work there using a broncolor para 220, they turned out nice I just cant scan them at the mo as there so big for my nikon coolscan and I do not want to cut them down.

What large format did you buy ? I have a cambo not the greatest but have a few good lenses.

IMG_6086.jpgIMG_6088.jpgIMG_6094.jpg

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not shooting large format anymore, but when I was I had a Wista 45, just like this:

I had a 90mm Schneider lens and a 140 or 150mm Nikon from memory. 90mm on 4x5 is probably equivalent to about 24mm on 35mm film. I was shooting only landscapes and seascapes with that setup with Velvia 50. Really beautiful camera, built like a tank, never shot that much with it due to costs but it definately taught me to think through my shots instead of just machine gunning shots hoping for a good one.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I edited on a new monitor... just for you guys :bounce: :pound:

All photos on www.flickr.com/alecmcjo

Please watch the video :) and please hit up the channel of the mate who put it together for me, his main focus is Adventure sport filming & I have no doubt at all everyone here will enjoy flicking through his vids!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70sblqNNgKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70sblqNNgKY

I also micro-adjusted my 24 - 70 (ended up at +3) which holy shit, made an astonishing difference to the sharpness of the lens. I also took a new approach to editing & used a new airbrush technique, anyway I'm stoked with the results.

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd see if anyone in here may be interested in purchasing 7D and 7D Ikelite housing. I used the housing once and have since left it in the box.

Open to all offers

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, looks like I'm double posting so please excuse me.

I'm wondering if any of you guys use any online galleries which also supports the purchase of the photos. I know that Zenfolio provides this service but I'm wondering if there are others... Any race photographers? etc?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Gear question: what's the pick of triggers these days?

I'm still sporting the old Cactus V2s, but they're pretty useless on the 5d because they cause some nasty interference across the top ~1/4 of the sensor. Probably time I got some replacements but I'm not sure which way to go.

Current gear is 5d (Mk I), 2x 580ex, 1x 430ex (all Mk I). Planning to go to a 5d3 at some point, but I want something that is usable with the old classic for now as well. HSS is a major want, as is ettl. Remote control of flash settins (comp, manual power etc.) would be a bonus, but not sure how that's going to go with the old body.

Was looking at picking up some second hand PW flex 5's, but seems as though the RF noise from my flashes would be a problem, and I don't really like the idea of multiple clamps and stuff to get them working. They're also expensive, even second hand.

The new Pixel King Pro looks pretty sweet for spec, and is great value, but compatability with the old flashes seems a little vague at the moment.

Phottix Odins seem to be the other option to consider but they're more like PW money, and I'm still not sure on compatibility.

Thoughts people?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Gear question: what's the pick of triggers these days?

I'm still sporting the old Cactus V2s, but they're pretty useless on the 5d because they cause some nasty interference across the top ~1/4 of the sensor. Probably time I got some replacements but I'm not sure which way to go.

Current gear is 5d (Mk I), 2x 580ex, 1x 430ex (all Mk I). Planning to go to a 5d3 at some point, but I want something that is usable with the old classic for now as well. HSS is a major want, as is ettl. Remote control of flash settins (comp, manual power etc.) would be a bonus, but not sure how that's going to go with the old body.

Was looking at picking up some second hand PW flex 5's, but seems as though the RF noise from my flashes would be a problem, and I don't really like the idea of multiple clamps and stuff to get them working. They're also expensive, even second hand.

The new Pixel King Pro looks pretty sweet for spec, and is great value, but compatability with the old flashes seems a little vague at the moment.

Phottix Odins seem to be the other option to consider but they're more like PW money, and I'm still not sure on compatibility.

Thoughts people?
Shayne, disapointent that you didn't get a response. I'm keen to hear what you end up going with and if you have time...a review? I too am keen on the Pixel King Pros, what is their fastest shutter speed before going into HSS?

Cheers

Hux

wombat

Lives in a hole
Shayne, disapointent that you didn't get a response. I'm keen to hear what you end up going with and if you have time...a review? I too am keen on the Pixel King Pros, what is their fastest shutter speed before going into HSS?
I know, no love here at all! I blame stupid Ben for posting photos straight after me and distracting people.

As for the triggers, I figure I'll either go the King Pros, or some 622s. The Yongnuos are so cheap I could pretty much just buy some to test, and sell them on if they don't work properly.

I do like the look of the kings though, this is about the best compatibility info I can find, although it's for the original Kings not the Pros, and I can't ascertain whether its true for the Pros too.

TYPE B Cameras – without external flash control menu

Manual – You must set the manual power level directly on the flash
ETTL – Global FEC control is available from the camera, No ratios control.

1D II, 1D
5D Original,
30D, 20D, 10D,
350D XT, 400D XTi, 300D D-Rebel

Partial Control

Flashes that do not support remote flash control through the camera menu.
Manual – You must set the manual power level directly on the flash.
ETTL – Global FEC control is available from the camera. No ratio control, FEC can not be set directly on the flash.

Canon - 580EX, 430EX

Note – 550ex is no longer compatible with any remote ability, basic flash fire only (HSS still works)
HSS id advertised as up to 1/8000th, although YMMV. Plenty of people reporting success at those speeds though.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Yongnuo's are fantastic i'm told. a professional photog friend of mine swears by them, has a couple of 580-EXii's and a couple of the equiv yongnuo which he uses all the time.

i'm sure posting bike photo's in here is not on, but i'm still in love with my 50mm F1.4

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I know, no love here at all!
I have little to contribute other than I'm listening closely ;)

My cactus V4s have been dropped one too many times and are due for an update.

I saw the Pixel Kings at a trade show a while ago and thought they were pretty good (they certainly received a good reception from Canon users) however at that time, no system existed for the Nikons.