The Photo Snob Thread

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Ha!

So many of our snob brothers have fallen to the big C (here's looking at you Tiddy and Tristan) but I will stand till the bitter end!

:D
It was a torrid affair...

And looook where they are now! ^_^ :D
Relying on VSCO apparently haha

Also, if anybody is interested, I have a Lowepro Rover Pro 45L backpack, as new, only selling as I've got an f-stop bag on order (I have a problem with my Thoracic back and couldnt quite get the Lowepro's harness to work for me). Paid $310 a couple of weeks back, yours for $200. Can supply pics, but it's this http://store.lowepro.com/rover-pro-45l-aw

I'm kicking myself because it's a great pack.

Oh, and here's a photo, two exposures of the same scene

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt

Also, if anybody is interested, I have a Lowepro Rover Pro 45L backpack, as new, only selling as I've got an f-stop bag on order (I have a problem with my Thoracic back and couldnt quite get the Lowepro's harness to work for me). Paid $310 a couple of weeks back, yours for $200. Can supply pics, but it's this http://store.lowepro.com/rover-pro-45l-aw

I had to look up what VSCO is lol.

Someone help Andrew out and buy this pack off him. It's a bargain at that price considering it hasn't even been used.

tu plang

knob

Oh, and here's a photo, two exposures of the same scene
Incredible shot. One of the best landscapes in here in a long time.

heavyp

You heard it here first
I had never taken a star shot before wednesday but I was away staying at a resort west of Brisbane and the night sky was to clear to resist giving it ago.

Shot using 5dmk3 and 35mm 1.4. I didn't do to much to the file at all just a bit of saturation for the sky, the tree and fence are being lit up but some lights from the pool area and from on of the cottages. As I was going through the files I saw something move in 2 of the shots in the back of shot turns out its a kangaroo with its head down feeding.

I wish the sky was a little sharper but practice makes perfect, can't wait to shoot some more when I get out of town.

Ps: I didnt use VSCO :yield: haha (its a joke)

_JS_0011.jpg

Last edited:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
Was up nice and early to shoot some portraits this morning for an old mate from school. He'll be swimming from Devenport, Tasmania to Wilsons Promontory, Victoria (300k+)

Would love any feedback

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Was up nice and early to shoot some portraits this morning for an old mate from school. He'll be swimming from Devenport, Tasmania to Wilsons Promontory, Victoria (300k+)

Would love any feedback

Aside from a clearly needed touch of VSCO, I'd like to see them a bit brighter/more contrasty. His face looks a bit under exposed to me.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Would love any feedback
The angle of the first is boring as batshit and overall the photo does nothing for me - he looks more like a surfer than a swimmer (not wearing goggles/wearing a surf-branded wetsuit), and there's nothing that really implies he's all that important to the photo (he doesn't pop from the messy-as-hell background at all, isn't lit in any way that defines him as the main subject, and is only featured in 1/3rd of the photo).

The second photo is marginally better, but only marginally, and only because there's more focus on him and less distraction from other elements in the background, but the flare from the sun makes his face look dull, again there's no indication he's a swimmer, he still only takes up 1/3rd of the shot (and you seem to be intent on showing there's a colourful sunrise going down in the background) and it looks like you've simply gone "i'm going to use a long, portrait-style lens coupled with a sunrise in the background to make this photo cool" rather than putting any skill or thought into how you'll achieve a unique looking shot that highlights his athleticism and promotes him as a sportsperson. I know that sounds airy-fairy but hopefully you can take something from it.

And aside from all of this, you haven't, disappointingly, applied any VSCO at all...

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have vague memories if some portraits of a swimmer in this thread way back in the day, from Mr Benny I believe. If memory serves, they did a very good job of showing intent and athletisicm.

Would love any feedback

As a surfer I would politefuly ask you to refrain from publishing photos of secret surf spots, especially when they are pumping.

Huey has forsaken us the lazy bastard !!!!!

flat spell = :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
And aside from all of this, you haven't, disappointingly, applied any VSCO at all...
All taken on board Tristan, I appreciate the honesty.

I suppose my reasoning behind the firsts composition was to try and add a little context to the shot of him within his own environment. Knowing that he trains in the ocean pools at sunrise most weekends I figured that was something worth trying to capture as well as trying to capture the ocean (again, trying to bring a little bit of background/ context into the image).

I agree completely with your feedback on the second image, I'm not entirely sure why I decided to showcase that image in this thread as I know it was one of the weaker images.

With your feedback in mind perhaps I could try and run another image by you all with all the other things in mind:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
With your feedback in mind perhaps I could try and run another image by you all with all the other things in mind:
This, in my mind, is better. It focuses solely on him and has more consistency of colours that leads to less distraction. He could probably benefit from some lightening up of his face using the dodge tool or a remote flash. If you hadn't told us he's a swimmer, however, i'm not sure anyone would've been able to guess. I'm not saying this to sound like a prick, but I would've thought if he was going to swim ~300k's he'd own a decent swimming wetsuit, not a Rip Curl suit that I imagine is designed for surfing, a swimming cap and some goggles. Sure, it's cool to have some portraits of him down by the beach, but if they're going to be used for any kind of promotional material/marketing/advertising what he's setting out to do, i'd be thinking about a re-shoot to make the guy look a little more legit.

I have vague memories if some portraits of a swimmer in this thread way back in the day, from Mr Benny I believe. If memory serves, they did a very good job of showing intent and athletisicm.
Have a look at the 4th image across in CB's people gallery here: http://chrisbennyimaging.com/portfolio/people/ for a very good example of how to compose/light/shoot a aquatic-sportsperson to make them look badass.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Here's some feed back for ya, don't listen to a word Tristian said to you! Go to his website and look at his faces section the only ok shots on there are of the kids in Asia and when you go anywhere like that's its hard to take a bad shot.

He has a shot with 2 dh bikes in a flat field and a fat dude sitting on top of a hay bail, if he is having a go at you by being blunt about the dudes wettie and a few other things I think its a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. For someone to have shots like that on a website he needs to have a word with himself and pull his head in before ripping into your shots. Also go check out the image of a chick and a dude at a festival or some kind of meet in the background, bad light, bad talent, bad everything and to top it off she's got smoke coming out of her head, and lets not get started on the chick with a head surrounded by purple flowers I've see people try fill part of the frame with some out of focus foliage before but that's a piss take!

I should go until the dust settles as the VSCO talk didn't die down to quick and I may of started something again. Plus I'm off to Hong Kong today for 2 days to digital operate on 1 portrait of the CEO of cathay pacific, it's a hard life getting paid so much to travel and make someone look good for billboards

I had never taken a star shot before wednesday but I was away staying at a resort west of Brisbane and the night sky was to clear to resist giving it ago.

Shot using 5dmk3 and 35mm 1.4. I didn't do to much to the file at all just a bit of saturation for the sky, the tree and fence are being lit up but some lights from the pool area and from on of the cottages. As I was going through the files I saw something move in 2 of the shots in the back of shot turns out its a kangaroo with its head down feeding.

I wish the sky was a little sharper but practice makes perfect, can't wait to shoot some more when I get out of town.

Ps: I didnt use VSCO :yield: haha (its a joke)

View attachment 271674
Enough said, Will.