The Photo Snob Thread

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
My thoughts:

I think.. face too dark, highlights too blown, composition is a bit unusual? I like the perspective though. Colours/clarity are a bit off though I'm assuming you were shooting through a window.

Not a huge fan. colours are kinda cool. powerline is annoying, composition a bit odd and i kinda just dont get 'it'

This one, I think, is stronger. Again, powerlines (though you already mentioned it, you could have just shot another direction? ha). composition feels a bit boring to me too.

I love everything about this apart from the hair over her face.

"VSCO" by Andrew Kevin Benson, on Flickr

Cool subject and location, but not sure all the white sky really works for BW. Also what is he even doing?

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
so many good photos on this thread! im starting to get into photography more and was thinking of getting a canon 60d. theres a pretty good price on the bay and it seems like fairly well rounded camera.
any pros and cons for it?
cheers!

wombat

Lives in a hole
I love WRC!!
Gah, so cut I couldn't make it this year. How did you find access for the event? Was it easy enough to get away from the official speccy points and find your own spots?

Also, nice shot. Love the rooster tail, just need a cpol for the windscreen.

Edit: No one want to buy those flashes I've got? Can't really be fucked with ebay if I can avoid it.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
so many good photos on this thread! im starting to get into photography more and was thinking of getting a canon 60d. theres a pretty good price on the bay and it seems like fairly well rounded camera.
any pros and cons for it?
cheers!
I own one, i love it and i felt that it was the perfect camera for me to learn and develop my skills, only up to know have its limitations made my want to upgrade.

0psi

Eats Squid
Hey guys,
I'm about to buy a new camera and was wondering if you think the Nikon D7100 is worth the extra money over the D7000?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Hey guys,
I'm about to buy a new camera and was wondering if you think the Nikon D7100 is worth the extra money over the D7000?
It sure is. AF and resolution alone make it a very worth while investment over the now superceded D7000 and even the D300s. That said, you could probably invest in better glass with the savings in opting for a slightly older body. DSLRs are consumables these days - glass will hang around a little longer.

Last edited:

Gluey_trails

Likes Dirt
My turn for a Milky Way shot - went camping up at Yagon (Near Seal Rocks).

The orange is a thunderstorm near Newcastle while the blue in the waves is that iridescent algae.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It sure is. AF and resolution alone make it a very worth while investment over the now superceded D7000 and even the D300s. That said, you could probably invest in better glass with the savings in opting for a slightly older body. DSLRs are consumables these days - glass will hang around a little longer.
This is true. That said though, the main reason you would want a D300s now over a D7000 or D7100 is the build quality. The D7000/D7100 are not built to the same level. The D300 was always essentially a consumer camera in a pro quality full magnesium body. This is the main reason I recently opted for a used D700 over a brand new D600. Similar price level, however the D600 isn't as robust, and I've read a few reports of D600s cracking near the the mount after being dropped, since the front is plastic and only the back and sides are magnesium. Yes I don't have the uber resolution of the D600, but honestly don't need it. 12mp will print plenty big with a well shot sharp image to start with.

Quality glass is more important, like you said. I shot an ad not so long ago on a 50mm f1.8 non-AI lens that's older than me! The shot didn't require AF so I thought why not...

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

The orange is a thunderstorm near Newcastle while the blue in the waves is that iridescent algae. **snip**
Gluey, that's nice, but my questions are these:
1. being star trails, should there be more "trails" or longer trails? Or are you going for a star filled sky?
2. With the horizan so low in the shot, was your focus on the Milky Way or the whole scene? I'm thinking it might have been better with a little more beach at the bottom of the shot.

I gotta give this a go sometime.

CraigS

Likes Dirt

The orange is a thunderstorm near Newcastle while the blue in the waves is that iridescent algae.

snip
Can I ask what settings you used for this?
The image is great but the stars are "slightly" trailing which gives the sky a blurry effect where as a shorter exposure will give the sky more sharpness and a stronger impact.

Xplor

Likes Dirt
Snobs - opinions please!

Ive been on debate for a LONG time for updating my 60D to either a 6D or 5dk mkiii.

The situation! :

• Im a student - money is low
  • The focusing and the terrible low light capabilities of the 60D are letting me down
  • From my research, the 5D and 6D are VERY similar camera's. With the 5D merely having a kickass focusing system over the 6D
  • 5D has audio out-put jack (Awesome!, i film a lot)
  • 6D gives me more money for glass (i need some good glass!)

So, is it worth me to just keep saving and bite the bullet and get a grey market 5Diii in the future and keep on saving for glass, or settle with a grey market 6D and invest in glass.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Snobs - opinions please!

Ive been on debate for a LONG time for updating my 60D to either a 6D or 5dk mkiii.

The situation! :

• Im a student - money is low
  • The focusing and the terrible low light capabilities of the 60D are letting me down
  • From my research, the 5D and 6D are VERY similar camera's. With the 5D merely having a kickass focusing system over the 6D
  • 5D has audio out-put jack (Awesome!, i film a lot)
  • 6D gives me more money for glass (i need some good glass!)

So, is it worth me to just keep saving and bite the bullet and get a grey market 5Diii in the future and keep on saving for glass, or settle with a grey market 6D and invest in glass.
If you're serious about photography and wish to do it professionally, I'd start with the best gear possible.

You're only going to sell the 6d and upgrade to a mk3 eventually anyway.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd actually put more money into good glass. Good glass you can keep for a long time and is unlikely to become superseded by something radically better. Bodies are really becoming the disposable part of the equation. Not many people are using 10 year old bodies with new glass, but there's plenty of 10 year old glass on new bodies.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'd actually put more money into good glass. Good glass you can keep for a long time and is unlikely to become superseded by something radically better. Bodies are really becoming the disposable part of the equation. Not many people are using 10 year old bodies with new glass, but there's plenty of 10 year old glass on new bodies.
Quoted for truth! But Callan is right also.

Excuse me while I make myself comfortable on this fence.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
If you're serious about photography and wish to do it professionally, I'd start with the best gear possible.

You're only going to sell the 6d and upgrade to a mk3 eventually anyway.
it's all about glass. how many people rock cheap lenses on a 1D? no-one. plenty of people will use L glass on a cheap crop sensor body and get great results (i did before i stepped up to full frame)

:thumb: