The Photo Snob Thread

LJG

Likes Bikes
Harsher the better :faint:
OK, exposure is off. Treat it the same as a portrait, spot expose for the face and let the background fall as it may. Yes it'll blow out to the top right but you can fix that in Lightroom. If you try and up the exposure on the face it'll start to show noise, so better going the other way. The other thing is the light is behind the bird, try shooting with the light behind you so it highlights the bird. Is that harsh enough?

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, exposure is off. Treat it the same as a portrait, spot expose for the face and let the background fall as it may. Yes it'll blow out to the top right but you can fix that in Lightroom. If you try and up the exposure on the face it'll start to show noise, so better going the other way. The other thing is the light is behind the bird, try shooting with the light behind you so it highlights the bird. Is that harsh enough?
I'm a bit curious as to whether the darkness was due to the way I edited it or straight off the camera. I'll see if I can find an original. 100% get what you're saying with the direction of the light, unfortunately the subject wasn't quite willing to swivel and I was on a balcony. Cheers for the hints, very helpful.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
100% get what you're saying with the direction of the light, unfortunately the subject wasn't quite willing to swivel and I was on a balcony. Cheers for the hints, very helpful.
Nick, here's a tip, if you have a difficult model to work with such as this one, try using a piece of white paper as a reflector and bounce light back up into the models dark areas. Either that or get a model that will happily swivel on it's perch!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Light painting and stacking.

Well last night I thought I would give this a go. Was kinda fun seeing the results. Critic away please!
FinishedEditSmall.jpg

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I'm a bit curious as to whether the darkness was due to the way I edited it or straight off the camera. I'll see if I can find an original. 100% get what you're saying with the direction of the light, unfortunately the subject wasn't quite willing to swivel and I was on a balcony. Cheers for the hints, very helpful.
A bit of dodging and burning in Photoshop should be able to fix your Galah.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Where are all the snobbers?

Hi all,

I have a gig for our work's anniversary, it's a big deal and the girl that normally shoots these things has cracked under pressure and they have asked me. Happy to do it as I'll be there anyway.
Now, my question is, I have a 580EXII that I'll be using on camera and I was thinking of either using the plastic Stofen diffuser or investing in a cheap one of these.
The location will be a hall/convention centre so the ceilings will be pretty high.
Shooting with 7D + 24-70 f2.8 and a 40D + 70-200 f2.8 for the speakers up on stage.

Now as I have had limited experience with both devices, is it worth investing time or should I just stick with what I know.

Cheers

Hux

Last edited:

CraigS

Likes Dirt
The Stofen diffuser should be fine, I have one and have used it a couple of times but usually just go with TTL mode and maybe just use the bounce card on the 580EXII on an angle. This has also worked perfectly fine for me in the past too.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Hi all,

I have a gig for our work's anniversary, it's a big deal and the girl that normally shoots these things has cracked under pressure and they have asked me. Happy to do it as I'll be there anyway.
Now, my question is, I have a 580EXII that I'll be using on camera and I was thinking of either using the plastic Stofen diffuser or investing in a cheap one of these.
The location will be a hall/convention centre so the ceilings will be pretty high.
Shooting with 7D + 24-70 f2.8 and a 40D + 70-200 f2.8 for the speakers up on stage.

Cheers

Hux
There's basically no need for a diffuser ever (in my snobbish opinion).

Just zoom your flash all the way in, up the ISO a bit and you're good to go. I've shot in numberous churchs with a 580 with no diffuser and never had a problem. Bring a few sets of batteries as it will use more power than if you use a diffuser.

There's nothing wrong with diffusers, they just don't give as nice a light source.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Thanks Craig and Callan. Appreciate your feedback.
I think I'll taken the Stofen as a back up and give Callan's method a try. I'll get work to order in a BIG box of batteries for me! lol

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Better bump this thread up..

This was actually a focus stack, two images of two exposures each (not HDR), so four photos in total.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I like it a lot Andrew. When you say "focus" stack, do you mean that there were different focus points with each image as well?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I like it a lot Andrew. When you say "focus" stack, do you mean that there were different focus points with each image as well?
Precisely and as I've already told Andrew, AWESOME SHOT.

It would be two different focus points each with the same two exposures taken.
Can't wait to see what Andrew brings back from his trip.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Craig nailed it, I took two exposures for the foreground, to make sure I didn't lose any of the shadows/highlights. Then two exposures (same as the first two) for the other 2/3rds of the depth and blended them the same, then finally I used a plugin (Helicon Focus) to do the focus stack. You can get good results just with photoshop by doing:

Edit>Auto Align Layers
then
Edit>Auto Blend Layers

You might find imperfections that you'll have to fix by hand, sometimes the focusing will slightly zoom the lens which can throw things out (you might need to crop a tiny bit of the border), or something can move in the scene (wind might be blowing etc).

But in this case it didnt do such a great job in photoshop itself. The real challenge here was actually shooting it, the change in focus was so small to get the results that it took a fair bit of concentration just getting that right..

Thanks again

Last edited:

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Better bump this thread up..

This was actually a focus stack, two images of two exposures each (not HDR), so four photos in total.

Where was this taken? Is it possible to get a high-res version for personal use as a wallpaper?

Thanks!

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Where was this taken? Is it possible to get a high-res version for personal use as a wallpaper?

Thanks!
Second this. It needs to be blown up HUGE on metallic paper and acrylic face-mounted then hung on a feature wall in a sexy modern house. THAT good dude.