The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I got this little beauty last friday for as a birthday pressy
Shit yeah! I had a play with a friend's last night…slightly larger than I was expecting but seems like a cool camera to carry around for happy snaps, and looks trendy as f*ck. Ha!

Hey mate you should try surfphotographersunited.com, cameramarket.com.au, there is a camera gear sale page on facebook that heaps of people use and even aquatech's facebook page if you are yet to try them.
Cheers for the info. I've put it up in the Second Hand Camera Gear group on Facebook and posted to Aquatech's page but haven't had anyone keen. Will give SPU and Camera Market a go.

Ha! I actually thought you knew this, hence the questions about the Minaret!

Not as of yet. I'm eagerly hanging out for one to pop up second hand. Use of an L-plate is my main motivation for shying away from Manfrotto (that and my geared head is freakin' massive!).

I'm looking specifically at the Q10 so the slightly larger version of the Q3.

I had a look at the Sirui K40x that you and Craig have but its size will restrict the reverse fold feature of my tripod. The K30x is a better match but a few complaints about a insufficient pan lock have me hesitant. The Benro B2 also crossed my radar too - very clean traditional ball head but like the Sirui, not many reviews. The price alone for the tried and tested Markins Q10 head would cover the Benro B2, a brand new RRS L-plate and pano attachment...

Not sure if I want to part with the geared head. Yet...

*shrugs*
Haha..this is the first time in a few years i've had absolutely no idea what's going on in a photography related discussion. Hectic.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Just an update, I ended up with the Generator Alpine, and I must say it is very nice.

Angus, I reckon I'll take on the Bergen pants also, cheers for the advice! I was initially looking at the marmot minimalist, but I'm a fan of the reinforcement in the Bergens.

Edit: I have a Thinktank Streetwalker Harddrive if anybody's keen, perfect condition, $70.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-harddrive-backpack.aspx
So with all this talk about cold weather clothing, I take it you're heading to a cold climate and taking camera gear. What do you do to protect your equipment from fogging over in the cold and creating condensation?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So with all this talk about cold weather clothing, I take it you're heading to a cold climate and taking camera gear. What do you do to protect your equipment from fogging over in the cold and creating condensation?
I took my gear with me through Siberia last winter and never had any issues. I generally kept my camera in its bag - didn't bother keeping it inside my jacket for warmth. There was a lot of hopping in and out of warm trains, hotels, bars etc into temps as low as -20 along with longer periods out in the snow. No dramas other than nippy fingers from the cold.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I took my gear with me through Siberia last winter and never had any issues. I generally kept my camera in its bag - didn't bother keeping it inside my jacket for warmth. There was a lot of hopping in and out of warm trains, hotels, bars etc into temps as low as -20 along with longer periods out in the snow. No dramas other than nippy fingers from the cold.
Yeah, cameras should not be kept warm. Batteries, yes, cameras, no.

Fogging occurs when the camera goes from warm to cold rapidly (and vice versa but to a lesser extent in my experience). So camera in a normal camera bag, allow it to gradually transition to environmental temp when leaving the room etc.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
You need to gradually acclimatise your gear.

Whether it be going from inside a cool hotel to outside in the tropics or going from your nice warm cosy tent outside into the snow, you need to let your stuff gradually make the shift. This might be as simple as leaving your camera bag open for a bit (less practical in the rain...).

Moisture is your cameras worst enemy and is often made worse with all the "weather sealed" magnesium bodies on pro cameras (as it traps this moisture in there unlike the polycarbonate shells that have gaps and cracks etc). I had to replace the LCD in my camera late last year for this very reason as moisture had become trapped between the screen itself and the clear overlay.

Andrew: sounds sweet man! The jacket looks the goods and you'll certainly like the pants! (I must admit that I've only actually used mine a few times - they spend most of their days down the very bottom of my pack as a "just in case"!)

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, I'll be in L.A for a week, San Francisco for just under a week, then we venture into the Yosemite for 5 days, then up in Oregon for a week, a couple of days in Vancouver and finally a week (or just over a week) in the Yukon Territory (Northern Lights). So it's a holiday/shooting expidition (or are they one in the same thing?)

I'm already begging the light gods to show me mercy.

Hux, what ^ these guys said is basically my plan, if I know i'll be inside somewhere warm I was planning to put the camera gear (inside something) in the cold to climatize it for a few hours, and vice versa to bring it in. If we're on the trail/snow shoeing whatever i'm hoping just being in my pack will be enough.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thanks guys, I'll be in L.A for a week, San Francisco for just under a week, then we venture into the Yosemite for 5 days, then up in Oregon for a week, a couple of days in Vancouver and finally a week (or just over a week) in the Yukon Territory (Northern Lights). So it's a holiday/shooting expidition (or are they one in the same thing?)

I'm already begging the light gods to show me mercy.
Quite the adventure!

Don't forget a thin pair of gloves! Handling an icy cold DSLR isn't fun.

My girlfriend and I are planning on heading across next year and going taking a very similar route. Hoping to include Antelope Canyon, Arches NP, some climbing in Zion and finally a bit of riding in Utah (after a crafty exchange for taking the lady to Disneyland).

tu plang

knob
Quite the adventure!

Don't forget a thin pair of gloves! Handling an icy cold DSLR isn't fun.

My girlfriend and I are planning on heading across next year and going taking a very similar route. Hoping to include Antelope Canyon, Arches NP, some climbing in Zion and finally a bit of riding in Utah (after a crafty exchange for taking the lady to Disneyland).
Canyonlands Needles and Maze Districts are probably more fun than Arches. Arches is a lot of walking around graded paths, though the features themselves are cool. FYI this is how you do skyline arch! http://www.flickr.com/photos/summit42/11037443414/

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hux, what ^ these guys said is basically my plan, if I know i'll be inside somewhere warm I was planning to put the camera gear (inside something) in the cold to climatize it for a few hours, and vice versa to bring it in. If we're on the trail/snow shoeing whatever i'm hoping just being in my pack will be enough.
I was thinking that going from warm car to cold outdoors or warm hotel to cold outdoors (etc) would be bloody difficult to do gradually. Thought there might have been a secret I never knew about. I'd love to get into a snow covered landscape and shoot but always thought it would be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

(after a crafty exchange for taking the lady to Disneyland).
I hope it's the one in Florida, California Disneyland was a huge let down.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not bad Andrew. I think the sky needs to be a little darker and the blue a slightly different hue. At the moment, it doesn't really match the foreground that well in my opinion.

Few piccies from out yonder

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Christmas presents have begun to arrive in the mail.
Now I just have to wait until Christmas morning to use it :/

1471234_10152039621941329_908208437_n.jpg

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
If anyone's after a near-new Canon 5DMk2 i'm selling one I picked up to use as a second body and have decided to re-sell again. The shutter count is 5800-ish and the body is in top-notch condition. I'm asking $1350.

Here's a couple of shots:

1497696_10153568148775158_297608441_n.jpg

1464101_10153568149330158_739837316_n.jpg

1458542_10153568148835158_121198278_n.jpg

1465122_10153568149155158_457510444_n.jpg