The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
If anyone's after a near-new Canon 5DMk2 i'm selling one I picked up to use as a second body and have decided to re-sell again. The shutter count is 5800-ish and the body is in top-notch condition. I'm asking $1350. **snip**
Tristan, see my post at the top of the page! I hate you! lol

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Christmas presents have begun to arrive in the mail.
Nice! (I presume you got it from Mainline?)

Keen to see if you get the additional base plate for use with the monopod. Never worked out if this was specific to the older (non-"X") model or not...

Following on from the discussion a few pages ago, I ended up sticking a Markin's Q10 ball head on my tripod legs. Was here in 5 days from Seoul.

I liked the Sirui heads but size of the K40X ball head means one can't use the reverse-fold feature of the tripod.
That leaves the smaller K30X and of the reviews I could find, a few commented on the slipping pan-lock knob.

Markins-1.jpg
@51cm long, this set up fits in carry-on luggage. Took it out hiking two weekends ago - being able to fit full hike kit + camera stuff into a 35L rucksack is somewhat of an achievement in my books ;) Very impressed with the tripod's quality. Yet to see how it goes half submerged in a flowing river but I have high hopes!

Markins-2.jpg
The Markin's ball head is an incredibly sleek piece of kit - exceptionally high quality, super-ridiculous load rating (~45kg), compact and lightweight. Doesn't require any real maintenance (unlike many ball heads which require frequent lubrication which then attracts grits etc)

Markins-3.jpg
I'm fairly confident Sirui also offer these this but if you can, get the plate specific for your camera (as opposed to the traditional generic plate). It a semi-permanent attachment the 'wraps around' the base of the camera, preventing the camera from twisting on the plate. Pretty low profile too compared with the huge Manfrotto plate from my geared head or even just the standard universal plates. Will probably acquire an L-plate soon but for now, this plate will do just fine ;)

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Christmas presents have begun to arrive in the mail.
Bought myself mine the other day (on the left, the girlfriend bought me the Contax on the right for my birthday last month). Just spent two weeks on holidays shooting photos with it and i've fallen in love.

1455993_10153530601420158_2126395712_n.jpg

Actually, i'm interested to know, who here shoots (or has shot) film? I remember seeing an awesome body of word from someone of randoms on the street…I think it was shot with a Hasselblad. Anyone feel the desire to spark up some film-based conversation?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Actually, i'm interested to know, who here shoots (or has shot) film? I remember seeing an awesome body of word from someone of randoms on the street…I think it was shot with a Hasselblad. Anyone feel the desire to spark up some film-based conversation?
I haven't shot film since my Nikon days....in fact I think I sold it to someone on here. Is it easily enough to get your hands on quality film and get it developed? Tris, I take it the Hassy takes "special" film?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I haven't shot film since my Nikon days....in fact I think I sold it to someone on here. Is it easily enough to get your hands on quality film and get it developed? Tris, I take it the Hassy takes "special" film?
The hassleblads are a seriously fun piece of kit to work with. Back in my assistant days, the studio I worked at had a whole fleet of them with all the different view finders, prisms, focus screens and backs etc. there is something really different about looking down through the top and lining up shots. I suppose it stems from the old box brownie style where you needed your own body to stabilise the camera to shoot. Plus you see so much more detail than the tiny viewing window of a traditional SLR.

Newts

Likes Dirt
Tristan, see my post at the top of the page! I hate you! lol
Trying not to spend money whilst waiting for the house to start getting built is just as annoying.

Maybe only go a 55in LCD instead of the 60in and pick up this little gem

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Is it easily enough to get your hands on quality film and get it developed? Tris, I take it the Hassy takes "special" film?
In Sydney it is, but not in a regional area. I was in Cairns last week, which technically is still a bloody huge city, and couldn't find medium format film anywhere. Luckily I took 12 rolls up with me (9 colour and 3 black and white), and ended up shooting all but two of the black and white rolls. The Hassy takes regular 120 or 220 film (which is still being made by Kodak and Fujifilm) and spits out 6x6cm negatives.

The hassleblads are a seriously fun piece of kit to work with. Back in my assistant days, the studio I worked at had a whole fleet of them with all the different view finders, prisms, focus screens and backs etc. there is something really different about looking down through the top and lining up shots. I suppose it stems from the old box brownie style where you needed your own body to stabilise the camera to shoot. Plus you see so much more detail than the tiny viewing window of a traditional SLR.
Yeah, I need to get a different focus screen..the one in there currently isn't the greatest. Still the viewfinder is ridiculous. Love it. So bright and so much detail...it's incredibly 3D. Here's a quick shot from Instagram a couple of days after I got it…frothing so hard. Haha.

564616_10153539572680158_1943930939_n.jpg

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I'll raise your picture through a camera with a camera a picture through camera with a camera capturing another photographer...with a camera.

8363030609_ed9c12d6a2.jpg

I like yours better.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Tris; I'm stuck behind a screen editing and don't have a beach or a pretty lady at my disposal so you win ;)

Am I right in saying you can get digital backs for them? Or am I way off?
Yes but it isn't cost effective.

Mamiya ZD back is a lot of money for 22MP - you achieve higher resolution by using film (or just buy buying a D800...)

Digital backs from Phase One etc are available but they typically require expensive adaptors to make them compatible. Then there is the question of aspect ratio...

The camera itself is superb in its fully mechanical format - Mamiya RZ bodies are preferable for digital as opposed to the above RB and can be acquired relatively cheaply.

Heavyp can probably confirm - I believe he's been playing with them a lot longer than I have.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Tris; I'm stuck behind a screen editing and don't have a beach or a pretty lady at my disposal so you win ;)

Yes but it isn't cost effective.

Mamiya ZD back is a lot of money for 22MP - you achieve higher resolution by using film (or just buy buying a D800...)

Digital backs from Phase One etc are available but they typically require expensive adaptors to make them compatible. Then there is the question of aspect ratio...

The camera itself is superb in its fully mechanical format - Mamiya RZ bodies are preferable for digital as opposed to the above RB and can be acquired relatively cheaply.

Heavyp can probably confirm - I believe he's been playing with them a lot longer than I have.
Thanks for the response Angus. I'm intrigued by these cameras, not enough to buy one, but enough to want to know more. lol

heavyp

You heard it here first
Actually, i'm interested to know, who here shoots (or has shot) film?
Don't get me started again Tristan haha, I still shoot film as you know most of the time. Not to sure where you send your stuff but only send it to Vision in Sydney, im guessing there black and white is good too but I have bought chemicals and had friends use a company down there called blanco negro and there just a black and white dev business.

Neg film Kodak Portra 160, 400 and 800 are really good its always nice to shoot as the films latitude tis big so even if your exposure if off up to 4 stops (but surly that shouldn't happen) it will still be ok, same with black and white your best bet it try Ilford hp5+ rated at 320 and fp4 rated at 100 or 80 you'll retain detail in the shadows, Tri-x is good also but i didnt really like the grain pattern, Ilford delta 100 and 400 are also very good and have amazing fine grain but there latitude is not so large these films are used a lot for fine art.
If you wanna shoot slide try a few Velvia for landscapes/seascape but it doesn't like long exposures as in even more than a second or 2, latitude with slide is like a 3rd of a stop so you may wanna bracket some things, for portraits try Asita its great for skin tones not saturated at all, provia is also good, Its discontinued now but provia 400x is so amazing for a 400 speed film its crazy sharp and amazing grain

I fired up these bad boys in the studio yesterday (guy I work for is using the phase of the Hasselblad flex body for some personal shoots) I know the picture is with the phase one back on the 503cxi but I loaded a roll of film, the biggest photography studio in QLD shut and the owner gave me all his film for free just need a 5x4 now for all that Velvia, he also sold me this box of filters for $50 I could not give him the money quick enough haha
IMG_1381.jpgIMG_1382.jpgIMG_1384.jpgIMG_1041.jpgIMG_1043.jpg

I have always wanted a Contax G2 but Im a snob and only want a black one haha. I have a fuji tx-1 which is sweet (its a hasselblad xpan but there cheaper as people think that the hasselblad is better but its fuji that actually made them when they bought blad and the lenses that are fujinon *apparently have a better coating slightly better image)

I got this little flash for my fuji x pro 1 as well and pick up the hand grip tomorrow, amazing little camera hopefully the misses aka santa gets me the 23mm 1.4 for xmas. The files are crazy for a 1.5 crop sensor it gives the same size files as 5dmk3 around 25-27mb (raws)
IMG_1340.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg

Last edited:

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Good buy Tristan! I am shooting Potra 160. Haven't got the 500cm, just the 500c. Still love it!

Going to Tassie for a roadtrip for the next month... So excited to shoot some epic landscapes.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Don't get me started again Tristan haha, I still shoot film as you know most of the time. Not to sure where you send your stuff but only send it to Vision in Sydney, im guessing there black and white is good too but I have bought chemicals and had friends use a company down there called blanco negro and there just a black and white dev business.

Neg film Kodak Portra 160, 400 and 800 are really good its always nice to shoot as the films latitude tis big so even if your exposure if off up to 4 stops (but surly that shouldn't happen) it will still be ok, same with black and white your best bet it try Ilford hp5+ rated at 320 and fp4 rated at 100 or 80 you'll retain detail in the shadows, Tri-x is good also but i didnt really like the grain pattern, Ilford delta 100 and 400 are also very good and have amazing fine grain but there latitude is not so large these films are used a lot for fine art.
If you wanna shoot slide try a few Velvia for landscapes/seascape but it doesn't like long exposures as in even more than a second or 2, latitude with slide is like a 3rd of a stop so you may wanna bracket some things, for portraits try Asita its great for skin tones not saturated at all, provia is also good, Its discontinued now but provia 400x is so amazing for a 400 speed film its crazy sharp and amazing grain

I fired up these bad boys in the studio yesterday (guy I work for is using the phase of the Hasselblad flex body for some personal shoots) I know the picture is with the phase one back on the 503cxi but I loaded a roll of film, the biggest photography studio in QLD shut and the owner gave me all his film for free just need a 5x4 now for all that Velvia, he also sold me this box of filters for $50 I could not give him the money quick enough haha

I have always wanted a Contax G2 but Im a snob and only want a black one haha. I have a fuji tx-1 which is sweet (its a hasselblad xpan but there cheaper as people think that the hasselblad is better but its fuji that actually made them when they bought blad and the lenses that are fujinon *apparently have a better coating slightly better image)
I've sent everything I shot on holidays (eight rolls of 120 and four of 35mm) off to Raw Digital and Film Lab in Sydney, literally round the corner from Vision Image. Heard very good things about their scanning - Oli Sansom, Jonas P and Tim Coulson have all said good things, so if all goes to plan and there are a few keepers i'll keep using them. I think Vision is a little cheaper which is nice but I can't imagine i'll shoot a whole lot of film meaning I don't mind spending a little more for decent scanning.

I'll be interested to see how all the different films look once developed and scanned…I shot Portra 160, 400 and 800, Ektar 100, TriX and Velvia 50 in a whole bunch of different lighting situations, so once I get them back i'll probably try narrow down what I like. I do like the idea that you can overexpose the Portra an absolute shitload…the 1/500th max shutter at midday was slightly limiting when it came to shallow DOF stuff and trying to keep everything properly exposed, so hopefully the ones I did overexpose look alright. I haven't heard of Asita but i'll look into it. I really want some Fuji 400H as I shot it a couple of years ago and loved the way it displayed skin tones.

And yeah, I completely agree about a black G2…I saw shots of it but just couldn't find one anywhere, so silver it had to be. Awesome fun camera, and again, I can't wait to see how the shots turn out.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Good buy Tristan! I am shooting Potra 160. Haven't got the 500cm, just the 500c. Still love it!

Going to Tassie for a roadtrip for the next month... So excited to shoot some epic landscapes.
Nice dude! Awesome shots. The 500c is basically the same as the CM, so you're not missing out on too much. Get your hands on some Velvia 50 slide film for landscape shots - from everything i've read it's absolutely radical.