The Photo Snob Thread

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I have yet to see a crap photo come out of that place Oriion.

On another note, does anyone know if the Elinchrom Skyport receiver's can be used on Canon speedlights?

Edit: They can't!

Last edited:

mr_casual

Likes Dirt
https://vimeo.com/110119878

been playing around with camera rigs to shoot bikes, always good to make a trial version to see what needs to be rectified for the more expensive one!

Here's what it looks like

DSC_7033.jpg

DSC_7289.jpg

And a recent longboarding shot too, because I liked it

holmesy-2.jpg

hope you enjoy!

edit* oops sorry for the large files. If you're reading this thread you should probably have UHD screens anyways :p

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
https://vimeo.com/110119878

been playing around with camera rigs to shoot bikes, always good to make a trial version to see what needs to be rectified for the more expensive one!

Here's what it looks like

hope you enjoy!

edit* oops sorry for the large files. If you're reading this thread you should probably have UHD screens anyways :p
Awesome results in the vid. Now for my crime against camera steadiness:

[video=vimeo;110012064]https://vimeo.com/110012064[/video]

Beej1

^ Mint.

View attachment 299778

Snap from the summit of Mt Bogong on a bit of a ski touring adventure a few weeks back.
Mind sharing the details of this one? I like how there's some decent milky wayedness, and I think a bit of magellanic cloud over on the left if you're facing east? But it doesn't look like you're facing that way.

Anyway, most often I see pics of stars the exposure has to be so long that you get the Star Wars light speed lines, but not here. How so?

tu plang

knob
Mind sharing the details of this one? I like how there's some decent milky wayedness, and I think a bit of magellanic cloud over on the left if you're facing east? But it doesn't look like you're facing that way.

Anyway, most often I see pics of stars the exposure has to be so long that you get the Star Wars light speed lines, but not here. How so?
To get exposure with no star trails you need a large aperture. You could crank up ISO but it'll look bad quickly.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Anyone selling a cheap body like a 350d? Just sold my 7D but miss photography to much.
I can help you out. PM me.

On another note:
I'm torn between purchasing a new 5D or a second-hand 1DMark4.
I don't know the actuation count of the 1D yet, but it's a grand cheaper than the new 5D. That means more money for new glass.
My wife wants me to buy the new body, that way we know there wont be any issues. But to get a nice looking 1D and some new glass I don't need but want for the same price would be great.

Thoughts? What would you snobbers do?

Cheers

Hux

Last edited:

Capone

Likes Dirt
Hoping/knowing someone can give me some input on a camera

What are peoples thoughts on the Sony A7/A7r/A7s

I currently have a D7000 using a DX 1.8f 35mm and have been looking with interest at full frame in particular mirrorless.

cheers

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Urgent help from the snobbers

Ok, I'm in the market for a landscape and portraiture lens to couple with a 5D Mk3 and a 7D (second body). I like both lenses but torn on which one to choose. I have been doing a lot of reading of feedback and reviews including on POTN and can't make a decision, mainly because everyone says to have both. But I can't stretch to both right now.
There is a wait for the Sigma, so if I go that route I won't have it for a while. What Are peoples thoughts of the Sigma over the Canon?

CraigS

Likes Dirt
I have yet to see a crap photo come out of that place Oriion.

On another note, does anyone know if the Elinchrom Skyport receiver's can be used on Canon speedlights?

Edit: They can't!
I use mine with both a 580EXII and a 430EXII.
Also I'm contemplating selling my Elinchrom Ranger RX AS Speed with S head, spare battery, skyport trigger and receiver, beauty dish, Rotalux 100cm deep octa, 135cm octa, reflectors.
I also have 3m wide paper backdrops in off white, black, red and pink if anyone's interested.
Ranger has just had a service by Kayell Australia. Inbox me if interested

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

Facing south-west actually. Magellanic cloud was my first thought also but I haven't really looked into it.

As Ben mentioned earlier, cranked ISO + large aperture. Couldn't overcook the image either as it would blow out the tent / torch light.

I snapped another image where by the tent light was diffused further with a microfibre cloth but I like this one as it has a certain dynamic to it with the harsh white light.

Another from me:

15745895551_c4795ddc8a.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tryangus/15745895551/in/photostream/