The Plankomoorey money pit lifesaver.

moorey

call me Mia
Long story short...though will prolly end up long...I was wanting to help a local kid out with a bike. He rode the recent King of Ballarat on a $800 duallie that he’d destroyed every part on over the last 6 months, and it totally shot itself in practice for Round 3. I lent him a bike, and worded up dad that his bike was salvageable...but should never EVER ride Black Hill on it again. Had said that we could find a solid old DH bike cheap. Dad wasn’t overly keen, but my mind was made up.

Enter @Plankosaurus and his dirt cheap Glory he’d bought for forks, and passed onto me super cheap. I’ll link thread in a minute.
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...at-do-i-do-with-what-i-dont-want-sold.315568/
@Labcanary kindly delivered or to me from the other side of Melbourne. Much winning.

I have an old set of boxxer race that were converted to WC air. They aren’t great, and have a little cosmetic stanchion rash after lending the old 222 to a young fella, who binned it onto rocks. Doh.

Plan was to fit my forks, add a 9sp shifter that I apparently have, and pass it on to be thrashed.

Forgot I had to swap headset from 1.5 to 1 1/8. Plank had thrown one in. Sweet. Was an utter cuss to remove but got there. Spent 1hr baffled at why I couldn’t remove play in headset without tightening so much it binds.
Oh, hey, what’s that on the ground? I hadn’t fitted the crown race. FFS.

Old 680mm riser bars were yucky. Used some 740 sunliine @Boom King once donated. Damn, no stem! Pulled DM stem off the 222, and I’ll hopefully use the one @nathanm has offered. Oh..also had to track down a low rise boxxer crown to lower the front as much as possible.

Couldn’t find a 9sp shimmy shifter...put up a WTB and decided to shelve the project for now. Cuss it. Pulled off 9sp Derailleur and cassette, and decided to donate 10sp X9 train. Cuss it, no spare cassette. Ripped one of my own spare bike, coz I’m impatient.
@sane has now offered me one. Not sure if I’ll bother using the 9sp stuff I pulled off or not.

Brakes are code 5’s. Not my fave, but bleeding money already, so using them. almost every piston seized...6 of the 8. Cuss it. 3 hours later, and after tracking down a bleed kit, they seem ok.

Shock was working well...but for a fatty, so I tracked down a 350 pound, and it feels sweet.

Add some pedals, grips, and shorten seat post. Done. Lost a whole Saturday, and a few parts I hadn’t planned on, but this should survive all he can throw at it...and costing his dad next to nothing.

Behold:

Frame. 2008 glory comp 16.5.
Shock. DHX4 with 350 spring.
Fork. 2010 boxxer race, converted to air.
Wheels: Alex Supra DH on sunn hubs.
Drivetrain: 10sp X9 shifter and mech. 1070 cassette 11-32.
Cranks: RF ride DH with 36t RF ring.
Brakes: Code 5.
Bars. Sunline 740mm
Stem. Spank DM.
Post and saddle: SGD ibeam.
Pedals. Basic wellgo
Grips. Jet black lock on.
Tyres. 2.5 kenda negaval DH rear, 2.5 ardent DH front.
Weight. Ample.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
glad those codes were salvagable, they're a pretty solid looking brake and seemed to grab like nobodys business even with 3/4 of the pistons siezed!

smashing work old chap, really glad i could play a small part in it. all worth it if the young fella appreciates the effort right :D

moorey

call me Mia
glad those codes were salvagable, they're a pretty solid looking brake and seemed to grab like nobodys business even with 3/4 of the pistons siezed!

smashing work old chap, really glad i could play a small part in it. all worth it if the young fella appreciates the effort right :D
He will. He’s been very politely waiting for it to get here and built up. Was 2.5 deg outside today. Last thing I felt like doing, but his enthusiasm spurred me on :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All care, no responsibility. Can’t hurt him as much as his current XC bike was due to.
Oh I'm confident the bike is a safer ride and also a much cooler ride. Age shall not weary the glory days of dh. But that weight penalty must he pretty hard. Maybe with some guidance from @safreek the young ripper might also end up ripped?

safreek

Oh I'm confident the bike is a safer ride and also a much cooler ride. Age shall not weary the glory days of dh. But that weight penalty must he pretty hard. Maybe with some guidance from @safreek the young ripper might also end up ripped?
The young lad needs to ride the downhill bikes xc, that's the way you build a purdy body. Muscle up your shoulders whilst getting fit