VIC The private decent

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Id actually be keen to see some more rock along that top chute and build up an serious rock garden... would be pretty cool. Not like international at buller but still something that you cant just roll through, couple of launch rocks as well etc. Also a rock garden would allow us to shed water off the track instead of it following the tyre lines down the hill. Happy to go with the group consensus though
I think we should have set rock gardens, and remove the rock on the connecting bits, so add rocks to some places, remove from others.

id be keen to build it all the way down too!!

finish with something gnarly like at outlooks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ihXNzUSpY
That would be sick. end it with a gnarly gap over the creek, already thought of a pretty sick idea of like a drop off the fire road.
but we need to finish the rest of the track first!

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
hi guys! track sounds awesome. I live closeish and need a track that isn't to far for me. i was wondering if i could get some details so i can come up and help build (don't worry im not an idiot i have built tracks before and stuff hahah).
Sounding by what you've done so far it sounds awesome. im a keen downhiller so keen to do some stuff.
that would be great, cheers Jack :)

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi guys! track sounds awesome. I live closeish and need a track that isn't to far for me. i was wondering if i could get some details so i can come up and help build (don't worry im not an idiot i have built tracks before and stuff hahah).
Sounding by what you've done so far it sounds awesome. im a keen downhiller so keen to do some stuff.
that would be great, cheers Jack :)
Hey jack. help would be pretty awesome, as i have stated before, if you could keep the location of the track quiet, we would not like heaps of people riding here, especially in winter when the track is muddy as and is still not finished.
check your PM's though. info will be in there!

blackmamba

Likes Bikes
I dropped in a temp wood ladder for that middle section yesterday, should stop it getting cut up (refer to attached image). The gravel drainage is working but as is the nature of clay, slowly. Cant wait for it to dry out and we can start using that new line.

I was speaking to a 'local' and she was initially concerned bout the track but i had a good talk to her about whats going on and now shes happy so i thought id word up anyone else that's interested about the vegetation- To put anyones concern to rest the invasive weed pitto undulatum has been felled and utilised to build but also open up the track to some sun, help it dry and improve the local diversity. Grant and i have used a majority of the trees for track work but there is some head material (leaves) that we have piled up in some sections off the track, they will brown off over the next couple weeks so don't stress they will decompose. When my backs better we will be taking up some tube stock plants to replant the surrounding area with low growing native grasses and shrubs for a vegetation net gain but also improve it from an aesthetics point of view, i will be using the 'enviro sensitive' roundup bi-active to treat the blackberries & boneseed while were in there too . Il drag a bbq and beers in for anyone that's down for some planting in a month or so haha. Sustainable trails is the aim.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite not telling everyone bout this track, cause i found out bout it through lurking the net but i agree, but for the moment the less people riding it over winter the better.

Attachments

yakkity yak

Likes Dirt
See what you mean about the mud!
Blackberries are very hard to kill and if they are on the track the best way that I have come across is that if one of those ladder bridges is heavy u can actually just drop it onto the parts that you want gone which will flatten it all. Then you can scrape with a shovel it out of the way or better to leave it in the sun which dries it out and that section I plant dies...... Had heaps of that stuff on the track I last built

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dropped in a temp wood ladder for that middle section yesterday, should stop it getting cut up (refer to attached image). The gravel drainage is working but as is the nature of clay, slowly. Cant wait for it to dry out and we can start using that new line.

I was speaking to a 'local' and she was initially concerned bout the track but i had a good talk to her about whats going on and now shes happy so i thought id word up anyone else that's interested about the vegetation- To put anyones concern to rest the invasive weed pitto undulatum has been felled and utilised to build but also open up the track to some sun, help it dry and improve the local diversity. Grant and i have used a majority of the trees for track work but there is some head material (leaves) that we have piled up in some sections off the track, they will brown off over the next couple weeks so don't stress they will decompose. When my backs better we will be taking up some tube stock plants to replant the surrounding area with low growing native grasses and shrubs for a vegetation net gain but also improve it from an aesthetics point of view, i will be using the 'enviro sensitive' roundup bi-active to treat the blackberries & boneseed while were in there too . Il drag a bbq and beers in for anyone that's down for some planting in a month or so haha. Sustainable trails is the aim.

I feel like a bit of a hypocrite not telling everyone bout this track, cause i found out bout it through lurking the net but i agree, but for the moment the less people riding it over winter the better.
I think we just found the brains of the project.....
that wooden bridge looks sweet for now. but that moto guy is going to wreck it. i will put money on it. (he cant get up it so he comes up and destroys it.)
the mud is much worse then when i was last there, i think the moto guy definatley needs a chatting to.
Bbq and beers sound sweet. (maybe not beers for me) but i will be in to do some planting for sure!
your work there looks nice!

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
That bridge looks sweet! But I just cant put my finger on what part of the track that is?
Really good idea about planting, Id be up for that! I want to try get out there sometime in tje week and do some building, havent been up there for a while.
See you guys out there!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That bridge looks sweet! But I just cant put my finger on what part of the track that is?
Really good idea about planting, Id be up for that! I want to try get out there sometime in tje week and do some building, havent been up there for a while.
See you guys out there!
Its just after the wooden drop (the run in to the road gap)
me thinks

Nerb

Squid
Ive been reading this thread with interest. I see you guys invest a heap of time and scrounge up some materials, and now your talking about planting tube stock! Does this mean your investing money or are you being "donated" plants? (maybe someone owns a nursery?). Ive picked up that you know the owner, and the mx rider knows the owner, but you dont necessarily know each other. Have you discussed with the owner the effect the motorbike is having? In anycase, congrats to you all.

GrantOner

Squid

Props mate! Looking good. Neg props to me for no showing, trying to get Hamish to be in a hurry is fucking impossible. I've pulled the EVC lists and I'll try round up some tubestock this week. Microleana, Lomandra's, Coprosma, couple black woods and some Oleria if I can sort it. I'll try hussle up stakes and guards from the work shed. Maybe some peppermints as well, deeper roots to draw some water out, reduce the lateral waterflow through that bit?
Also grabbed some pallets, might make that double out of the bridged section "B-Team Certified" and put a pallet case pad on it.

Last edited:

GrantOner

Squid
I think we should have set rock gardens, and remove the rock on the connecting bits, so add rocks to some places, remove from others.

That would be sick. end it with a gnarly gap over the creek, already thought of a pretty sick idea of like a drop off the fire road.
but we need to finish the rest of the track first!

I'm gonna second Nick on building up the rock gradens in the upper section, maybe make some rock armoured berms as well. I'm not talking world cup style rock gardens but at least something a bit more gnarly with several lines, keeps it interesting and reduces erosion and maintenance in the long term. Gotat be a group decision tho I guess.

blackmamba

Likes Bikes
This rain would have done the track no good. now we need a week of sun to bake it dry. :(
was good opportunity to check out how the drainage in that seep was going...its working sweet!

fixed the small drop on the left hand wooden ladder so anyone can just roll off it moto, bike, scooter etc.

Its not ready to ride yet but you can get the picture of the alt line around the tree and into the roadie

Attachments

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was good opportunity to check out how the drainage in that seep was going...its working sweet!

fixed the small drop on the left hand wooden ladder so anyone can just roll off it moto, bike, scooter etc.

Its not ready to ride yet but you can get the picture of the alt line around the tree and into the roadie
I see what you mean by the alternate line! looks sweet!!!

Is anyone heading out this weekend!?

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
looking good guys! :madgrin: is that the spot where the two tracks cross over?
Good idea about the rock gardens, theres that one near the middle of the track with the drop that going to be pretty gnarly. we also need to make the top section wider, (like you said.) we tried weed killer a while ago but it didnt do much, especially with all this rain.
Bring on good weather!

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Boys I have to say I'm loving the progress, it's good to see the land being looked after finally, and I know the owner aswell and I can only imagine how happy he is with the results.

When I return from nsw I'll be sure to head round and prob even show you some other secret tracks in the area

brycethebomb

Likes Dirt
Boys I have to say I'm loving the progress, it's good to see the land being looked after finally, and I know the owner aswell and I can only imagine how happy he is with the results.

When I return from nsw I'll be sure to head round and prob even show you some other secret tracks in the area
theres more?! :madgrin: