The QUICK question thread.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Interesting issue with the Cannondale this morning. I went for my usual ride and when I dropped back into first the chain fell off the cassette on the inside jamming the wheel. Going slowly so I just jumped off. Switched off the clutch and pulled the chain out and put it back on the front sprocket. Spun the wheel by hand and it jumped off again. XTR shifter to XT clutched derailleur and 11-40 11 speed cassette. Virtually new, done maybe a few hundred km. Dropped it to 2nd and rode home keeping it in taller gears. Guessed that the limit screw had come loose and there was just enough play to pull the derailleur too far. Anyway back home on the bike stand it wouldn't shift to 11th and was stuck in 10th but would still pop off the cassette in 1st. Cable stretch would do the opposite. Then I noticed that the top sprocket on the derailleur was not in contact with the chain in 1st or 2nd. ????? So I loosened off the cable and reset it at the shifter and set the whole shebang up from scratch, winding the B limit in a few turns or in technical terms shitloads. All good now and shifts as it should. I am guessing that the chain was picking up the spacer in the derailleur in 1st and that on this ride that was enough to tip it past the 40 tooth sprocket on the cassette since the low limit was fine and lined up perfectly. No damage to the derailleur, no dropsy etc on recent rides just had an issue on the ride today . So has the B limit been slowly unscrewing or wearing to the point where this could happen? Never had this issue before. Went back on my ride and all good though I was keeping a wary eye (the one in the back of my head) on the lower gears. Thinking of throwing some loctite on the B limit screw unless there is another reason.

Anyone???????

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
. So has the B limit been slowly unscrewing or wearing to the point where this could happen? Never had this issue before. Went back on my ride and all good though I was keeping a wary eye (the one in the back of my head) on the lower gears. Thinking of throwing some loctite on the B limit screw unless there is another reason.

Anyone???????
yep loctitie it, i had a b screw come undone on a bike i setup for the youngest after 3-4 rides it wouldn’t shift proper;y into top, the b screw had backed out a few turns, was close to falling off

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Was/Is your derailleur, hanger, and rare axle tight? Any of them loose will fuck with your mojo.

FYI - that was a very long quick question.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Was/Is your derailleur, hanger, and rare axle tight? Any of them loose will fuck with your mojo.

FYI - that was a very long quick question.
I like to include detail. I could have added the cloud formations and trail conditions?

Yes, all tight and honky dory.

Looks like B limit is the culprit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like to include detail. I could have added the cloud formations and trail conditions?

Yes, all tight and honky dory.

Looks like B limit is the culprit.
Well once you get that deep, you may as well go full Tolkien on details.

In the times before, the elder times even at the birth of cycling...when bikes were made of timber harvested in the lush forests not yet decimated by industrialisation, the evil machine or war, or just man kind's lust for more of nothing there was a man who faced a problem. How would he propel himself efficiently while upon this new machine?

...and now here we are Mr Baggins, here we are indeed. You have the one chain ring, to drive them all.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Do I need the Hope cassette body seal tool to put the thing back on properly? If so does anyone in Canberra, or elsewhere have one they can loan?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Do I need the Hope cassette body seal tool to put the thing back on properly? If so does anyone in Canberra, or elsewhere have one they can loan?
No but it help. You can push it back in with 2 flat head screw drivers working around from a single spot.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
No but it help. You can push it back in with 2 flat head screw drivers working around from a single spot.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Cool how likely am I to bugger it up doing that? And if no one has one I'd consider splitting, about 40 bucks shipped from UK.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Well once you get that deep, you may as well go full Tolkien on details.

In the times before, the elder times even at the birth of cycling...when bikes were made of timber harvested in the lush forests not yet decimated by industrialisation, the evil machine or war, or just man kind's lust for more of nothing there was a man who faced a problem. How would he propel himself efficiently while upon this new machine?

...and now here we are Mr Baggins, here we are indeed. You have the one chain ring, to drive them all.
Bermshot, you’re back!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Cool how likely am I to bugger it up doing that? And if no one has one I'd consider splitting, about 40 bucks shipped from UK.
Not very likely. Use the flat side not the pointy end bit so it doesn’t cop any sharp edges. Get it started on one point and work your way around.
I get away with one screwdriver.