The QUICK question thread.....

moorey

call me Mia
Hi team - I need a chain for a kids bike. Do I just grab a single speed chain or a 6/7/8 speed chain for it? the last owner cut it to make the bike a balance bike.
I think I have a good SS chain. I don’t know what a cut plate chain ring is though. Don’t make me google it.

slowmick

38-39"
I think I have a good SS chain. I don’t know what a cut plate chain ring is though. Don’t make me google it.
Sorry - that was just me trying to describe the level of sophistication of the bike. The chain ring is not a flashy machined item like an MTB, it is flat disk with teeth.

moorey

call me Mia
Sorry - that was just me trying to describe the level of sophistication of the bike. The chain ring is not a flashy machined item like an MTB, it is flat disk with teeth.
Cool. If an SS chain will work, I got that...at least it came on an SS bike, and it’s wider than MTB chains. Yours if any use.

slowmick

38-39"
Cool. If an SS chain will work, I got that...at least it came on an SS bike, and it’s wider than MTB chains. Yours if any use.
All good sir. i added a cheapy chain to my order from Pushy's as i needed some tires for it as well. thank you for the kind offer.

K.C.

Likes Dirt
recent rockshox forks, i'm looking at lyrik
what is the is difference from 27.5 to 29er?
is it the height of the arch of the lowers?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is most of the difference in brakes (eg Code vs Guide) at the lever/reservoir end with the caliper end being very similar, or are there major differences that would make it pointless to match a code lever with a guuee caliper?

moorey

call me Mia
Is most of the difference in brakes (eg Code vs Guide) at the lever/reservoir end with the caliper end being very similar, or are there major differences that would make it pointless to match a code lever with a guuee caliper?
Can only speak to Shimano, but depends what you’re after? I like XT levers with zee 4 pot calipers, only because the XT Levers have more adjustment. In a perfect world, Saint would rock, but can’t afford and really don’t need the power. I run straight XT on almost all bikes.
With the Guide/code, as long as still 4 pot calipers, I would imagine that the main difference in levers is also just in the lever adjustment.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
code ships metal,pads, guide organic, calipers is diff, new guide uses old code calipers though. one has a carbon lever i think- or that may be the code rsc, code has an extra adjustment at the lever. matching code lever w guide calipers is fine..is it a g2 calipers or old guide?

Can only speak to Shimano, but depends what you’re after?
great answer to a brand he didn’t ask about

moorey

call me Mia
code ships metal,pads, guide organic, calipers is diff, new guide uses old code calipers though. one has a carbon lever i think- or that may be the code rsc, code has an extra adjustment at the lever. matching code lever w guide calipers is fine..is it a g2 calipers or old guide?

great answer to a brand he didn’t ask about
And which I clearly clarified. Purely offering an opinion based on a similar example.
Thanks for offering what ‘you think’, rather than what you know for sure. ;)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can only speak to Shimano, but depends what you’re after? I like XT levers with zee 4 pot calipers, only because the XT Levers have more adjustment. In a perfect world, Saint would rock, but can’t afford and really don’t need the power. I run straight XT on almost all bikes.
With the Guide/code, as long as still 4 pot calipers, I would imagine that the main difference in levers is also just in the lever adjustment.
It's for a mate who's looking to upgrade as he hates the feel of the Guides (as do I). It's a question of whether he needs to buy the whole 'kit' or just try to source the lever end of some Codes to get the Code feel and power without needing to replace everything. Lever reach/adjsutement is much less important than stopping power

moorey

call me Mia
It's for a mate who's looking to upgrade as he hates the feel of the Guides (as do I). It's a question of whether he needs to buy the whole 'kit' or just try to source the lever end of some Codes to get the Code feel and power without needing to replace everything. Lever reach/adjsutement is much less important than stopping power
I know it’s purely personal, but aside from any other gripes with SRAM brakes, I hate the lever feel of them immediately coming on. I much prefer the Shimano 1/4 of free play on the lever before anything happens, than a more immediate feel.
Probably more down to 20 years of using them than anything scientific or concrete.