The QUICK question thread.....

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It's for a mate who's looking to upgrade as he hates the feel of the Guides (as do I). It's a question of whether he needs to buy the whole 'kit' or just try to source the lever end of some Codes to get the Code feel and power without needing to replace everything. Lever reach/adjsutement is much less important than stopping power
If you've got 4 piston Guides than you are correct, upgrading the lever will give you a better lever feel but not necessarily an increase in power. What you'll miss out on mainly is the heat dissipation provided by the larger Code caliper/pads but on the plus side if you already have a stockpile of brake pads you'll be able to continue to use them.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
It's for a mate who's looking to upgrade as he hates the feel of the Guides (as do I). It's a question of whether he needs to buy the whole 'kit' or just try to source the lever end of some Codes to get the Code feel and power without needing to replace everything. Lever reach/adjsutement is much less important than stopping power
the piston size diff of old guide vs code was only 1mm if i remember, 14vs15mm, i think sram said that equated to 12-15% diff, my maths tells me 1/14 =7% diff roughly, so they are either BS’ing or they changes something else, the lever reservoir is much bigger diff, like 25%..so yep just swap levers

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Why does a bought coffee taste so much better?
Apart from the fact I'm obviously shit at making coffee.
Because someone else has made it for you. You don't have to set up or pack up and fuck that tastes good!

Better quality, fresher coffee beans and a higher pressure machine
Lower pressure machine ... Most commercial espresso machines run around 9 bar, where as domestic espresso machines generally run around 15 bar. The commercial machine pushes like a diesel engine though.

The commercial machine allows for a finer grind and slower extraction. This gives more particle surface area contact with the water and sustained contact. By the end of a shot extraction Moe of the bean's flavour has been extracted.

If you have the chance compare the way a perfectly extracted home espresso shot looks compared to a perfectly extracted commercial shot. Generally at home you get a lot more gas in the Crema and less oil. A commercial shot will normally have more oil in the Crema. When you look at it the Crema will be denser and sit flatter on the liquid.

I use the same beans at home and work. I use the same dose and extract the same yield. The 2 taste nothing alike! I prefer the home taste with those particular beans. It is more singular on flavour and quite smooth.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Bought a set of new seal kit for hope e4 brakes and realised that the new seals are bigger. Are they supposed to be bigger? They don’t fit in the e4 caliper..

Top is old and bottom is new.
The packaging said it’s for e4 brakes.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Need a new clutch cover for the chainsaw, part when the screw goes in for chain tension has broken, made of plastic, great idea. Genuine is $90, generic eBay is $20. As this holds tension on the chain is the eBay cheapy going to implode or just take the risk and try it?

moorey

call me Mia
The screw only tensions the chain, then you do up the bolts holding the bar on. It doesn’t need to be strong to tension.
As for the rest of the cover, can’t say, totally different system to Stihl.
Can you buy that cover and just flog the tensioner out of it?

shiny

The screw only tensions the chain, then you do up the bolts holding the bar on. It doesn’t need to be strong to tension.
As for the rest of the cover, can’t say, totally different system to Stihl.
Can you buy that cover and just flog the tensioner out of it?
Cheers, unfortunately not, the screw goes into a plastic part at the end, this has broken away so the screw as you add tension sits on an angle out of the cover, functions for now but have limited adjustment. For $20 I will give it a go, as you said the bolts are what holds it on.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers, unfortunately not, the screw goes into a plastic part at the end, this has broken away so the screw as you add tension sits on an angle out of the cover, functions for now but have limited adjustment. For $20 I will give it a go, as you said the bolts are what holds it on.
On that one, chain brake is part of the cover. I assume original is same and it’s never got hot enough to cause an issue? In theory, it shouldn’t get hot anyway.

shiny

Never gets hot, eBay covers look like the same as genuine:

Just double checked inside of mine and apart from the brake being silver not black, looks the same.

moorey

call me Mia
Never gets hot, eBay covers look like the same as genuine:

Just double checked inside of mine and apart from the brake being silver not black, looks the same.
Go nuts then, I say.
That only comes into play when the brake is on anyway.

Scott_W

Likes Bikes
I just cut 20mm off my Marzocchi 888's as I had around 50mm in spacers. It looks way better now, but while fiddling I discovered that 3 of the 4 pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork that hold the 20mm axle are stripped.
Option 1 is to get a tap and the next size larger bolt.
Option 2 is to get the same bolts but 5mm longer and some stainless nuts to jam into the top. Maybe even epoxy them into the recess.
The fork is a 2012 model.
Any other options to fix it that I've missed?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Problem is the holes only go so far in; there might not be enough intact thread left to grab into with longer bolts, with or without compensating spacers.

Unless the orientation of the holes allows you to stuff really long bolts through and fit external nuts on the other end to pull it together..... Might need some custom-shaped spacers too.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Helicoil seems overkill for this. Plus I don't want to drill into anything crucial when I make bigger holes.
You already say one option was to tap it for a larger bolt....how is that different to tapping for a helicoil? Not sure what size it currently is, but you may not need to enlarged, just run a little bit smaller bolt with the helicoil.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If it was an m6 thread that’s stripped, an m6 helicoil repair kit is needed. The kits tap will step up to a slightly bigger thread diameter for the helicoil, but the bolt will remain the same. You cannot go down a size with helicoil. Timesert yes. Helicoil no.

Scott_W, for the 2012 888 there were three variants of pinch bolt female threads from what I can see.

Straight thread on the castings
Inserts pushed in from the other end of the hole
A steel bar.

Show us a photo of what you have.