The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Depends on what the issue is. What aren't you liking with your current wheels or fork?
The entry level engagement and they're already wobbling a bit. I'd like something that engages sooner and being lighter doesn't hurt (I don't know what my current wheelset weighs).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can't fault my fork so far but I think I need a tune as it dives a bit easily.
Jam more air in it.

You're a larger rider, wheels might panic a bit under your raw power. Are the spokes loose at all? Might be a trip to the wheel doctor can get them a little firmer.

It sounds like you want wheels.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I say wheels based on what you're describing, but with a view to upgrade the fork in time too.

Wheel, suspension and brake upgrades tend to make the biggest subjective difference to me.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Sounds like wheels are needed more than a fork. But IMO try getting them re-trued/tensioned asap and see how they hold up for a little while as the out-of-the box build quality may not have been great. Low engagement hubs don't always feel great, but realistically will almost never stop you actually riding or 'clearing' a section of trail - at worst you haveto be a little more cautious with any pedal 'ratcheting'.

Out of curiousity with the fork - Have you tried increasing the air pressure in the fork, or installing volume spacers yet? It may vary for others but I typically run my hardtail forks just a few PSI above recommended and with a couple of additional spacers to make the fork more supportive. It will make the fork a little harsher deep into the travel - but I'd rather have slightly sore wrists and maintain a safe geometry than have plush forks and go OTB if I hit a hole in the trail...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most factory built wheels are garbage, just doing a retention on the spokes makes them feel like 100% better. I used to see this a lot on mass produced road bike wheels, it was just like a whole another bike after doing the spokes again.

HamboCairns

Great tips! I don't have a shock fork (neither do my friends) so I'll make a quick trip to the mechanic for a tune and spoke tension methinks!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Great tips! I don't have a shock fork (neither do my friends) so I'll make a quick trip to the mechanic for a tune and spoke tension methinks!
If you have spare time, it's not that hard to learn how to do it yourself, lots of tutorials online. I find using the professional spoke tools are a lot better than the cheap ones that end up rounding the spoke squares.

Minlak

custom titis
The entry level engagement and they're already wobbling a bit. I'd like something that engages sooner and being lighter doesn't hurt (I don't know what my current wheelset weighs).
Gotta love a reply that starts with now this isn't an attack on you but....
I am a larger rider than you and I am smaller than I was - I struggled on pinch climbs in particular where I felt that my wheels didn't engage fast enough and there was a lag to getting power down and that is why I couldn't get up the pinches. So I went to 120POE hubs that is 3 deg of engagement - and I still didn't get up the pinches - now I am fitter and weight less all my wheels are 36 POE and have around 10 degs of engagement I get up the pinch climbs I couldn't before but have a whole new set of pinch climbs I can't get up :)

I was convinced POE was going to be the magic cure all as instant engagement meant power down sooner - I just don't notice the reduced engagement from 120 POE

HamboCairns

If you have spare time, it's not that hard to learn how to do it yourself, lots of tutorials online. I find using the professional spoke tools are a lot better than the cheap ones that end up rounding the spoke squares.
It's the upfront cost of all these tools that gets you.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's the upfront cost of all these tools that gets you.
They pay themselves off pretty quick and last a lifetime, especially when you start owning the N+1 :).

There are a few random threads on here about homemade truing stands too, but some people use the frames with two cut cable ties as indicators.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's really interesting about the POE..

Sounds like I should ride the shit out of my bike until a limitation becomes glaringly obvious (wheels, brakes, fork, tyres or titanium bolts).
Do you have enough purple anno on there yet? Because that's probably the other "no shit Sherlock!" solution to a lot of these issues. @Minlak may not have been totally open with you either. Sure the POE was his main point, but...have you heard how much of his body he had anno dipped in purple? Knowing the truth may shock you a little.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Do you have enough purple anno on there yet? Because that's probably the other "no shit Sherlock!" solution to a lot of these issues. @Minlak may not have been totally open with you either. Sure the POE was his main point, but...have you heard how much of his body he had anno dipped in purple? Knowing the truth may shock you a little.
Is purple anno still in with 2020 ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's really interesting about the POE..

Sounds like I should ride the shit out of my bike until a limitation becomes glaringly obvious (wheels, brakes, fork, tyres or titanium bolts).
I love to bling my bikes out, but I am still (by a country mile) the limiting factor when it comes to the capability of the bike and rider.

Just get the wheels trued and tensioned properly (or DIY it if you're keen to learn, a spoke key won't cost much), and see how everything holds up from there. Investigate volume spacers too, so cheap for such a big change in bike feel - even though they are ludicrously expensive for a bit of moulded plastic. Good chance if you throw up a WTB a 'burner with some spares may be able to help you out with some for minimal cost.

HamboCairns

Great point, I only have pink grips so far, clearly I'm lacking in the anodised performance department.