The QUICK question thread.....

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Late night random question - is it worth upgrading the headset from a standard FSA to a Hope unit?

I was having a think about durability and wondered if the headset is one of those things worth worrying about.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Late night random question - is it worth upgrading the headset from a standard FSA to a Hope unit?

I was having a think about durability and wondered if the headset is one of those things worth worrying about.
No. I have used multiple brands and provided they are cartridge bearings and installed properly they just go to and fro. Better places to spend for better bearings like wheels and pedals.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Is the headset a sealed bearing or cage set up? Of it is sealed bearing leave it, maintain it, and when it is fucked up replace it. Do you need to use a hope headset? Fuck no! If you want to blow big coin on a headset there's heaps of great options. Or you could pick up something like the heavily discounted nuke proof from CRC I've filled my spares box with. Or live on the edge and try something cheaper...I'm currently flogging the fuck out of a brand X sealed bearing not from CRC and it has made zero complaints this far.

Hope do have those mad colours though.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Is the headset a sealed bearing or cage set up? Of it is sealed bearing leave it, maintain it, and when it is fucked up replace it. Do you need to use a hope headset? Fuck no! If you want to blow big coin on a headset there's heaps of great options. Or you could pick up something like the heavily discounted nuke proof from CRC I've filled my spares box with. Or live on the edge and try something cheaper...I'm currently flogging the fuck out of a brand X sealed bearing not from CRC and it has made zero complaints this far.

Hope do have those mad colours though.
But his Hope tattoo... Oops, sorry that is @moorey. And @Tubbsy. And @Minlak though I think he has been taking medication and has got better.

safreek

OK, couple questions. Are these any good. Second question, is this definitely both ends.
Third question, will I need other parts to rejoin when cut.
Thanjs

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
OK, couple questions. Are these any good. Second question, is this definitely both ends.
Third question, will I need other parts to rejoin when cut.
Thanjs
I was under the impression they were a good thing, a few on here used several boxes of tissues when they were looking at them but the price delta to the MT makes me wonder...

Sorry, no idea. Look good. Maybe @Minlak can help, I think he was looking at mags.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
How does everyone store tyres? Folded or hanging or does it matter?
Thrown on top of each other in the garage in a messy pile. :oops:

It does make them easier to mount when they haven't been folded IMO.
Much the same haha

Mine are meant to be leaning up against my tool trolley and they do for about a day, then they fall/fold over into an untidy pile of rubber

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The best method is to keep lightly used ones that have had some sort of minor tubeless fail in a pile somewhere, and after a couple of years concede that you're not going to risk an aborted ride and never use them again.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The best method is to keep lightly used ones that have had some sort of minor tubeless fail in a pile somewhere, and after a couple of years concede that you're not going to risk an aborted ride and never use them again.
No no no, you throw all the tyres - good and bad - in the same pile. Then after a couple of years you get the excitement of wondering if they'll hold air!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thrown on top of each other in the garage in a messy pile. :oops:

Just one pile you say? I might have to try this revolutionary technique! Mine are scattered all over the place...sometimes it's a pleasant surprise, like finding an extra Easter egg or still wrapped Christmas present late on Christmas night.