The QUICK question thread.....

Terminal

Likes Bikes
I'm driving from Melbourne to Sydney in early December and have a day free to stop somewhere in between to squeeze in a days riding. Where would people recommend?

Looking for somewhere with bike hire facilities, and will have the wife in tow so somewhere that has a greener/lighter blue option for her.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm driving from Melbourne to Sydney in early December and have a day free to stop somewhere in between to squeeze in a days riding. Where would people recommend?

Looking for somewhere with bike hire facilities, and will have the wife in tow so somewhere that has a greener/lighter blue option for her.
Bright is great. There is a thread that reads like a Dutch rudder about it on here.

If that isn't close enough to half way perhaps Thredbo or Stromlo. I haven't ridden Thredbo outside of the mud and ice season. Stromlo is a lot of fun.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sweet, thanks.

I'm probably dreaming, but is the chair lift likely to be running mid-week at Thredbo?
If it is peak riding season...they probably have some chairs running. I haven't been though so couldn't be certain.

Bright and Stromlo both have shuttle operators as well.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Is there any hardware store in the inner Melbourne suburbs where I can go grab a wave washer/wave spring to replace the one in my Boxxer WC air piston assembly? I would prefer to be able to go grab one tomorrow as opposed to having to wait until next week to receive a whole rebuild kit from Monza.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Is there any hardware store in the inner Melbourne suburbs where I can go grab a wave washer/wave spring to replace the one in my Boxxer WC air piston assembly? I would prefer to be able to go grab one tomorrow as opposed to having to wait until next week to receive a whole rebuild kit from Monza.
The wave washer that the main circlip pushes against to hold the whole assemble into the stanchion as per this pic?

Blackwoods Altona north *might* have something.

Staunch

Eats Squid
The wave washer that the main circlip pushes against to hold the whole assemble into the stanchion as per this pic?

Blackwoods Altona north *might* have something.
The one that sits in between the circlip at the top of the piston and the piston head.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Nil. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Both are just arbitrary names for ethanol. Denatonium is traditionally added, to make it bitter and unpalatable. Hence the Denatured part of the name, it hasn't had the nature taken out...

A common industrial blend contains 10 odd % methanol, which gave rise to the Methylated part.

A better, more descriptive name would be Rectified Sprit, as commercially avaliable brands both contain the denatonium and methanol.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The taste. Metho comes on rather strong but doesn't have depth in the pallet.
More like vodka?

Nil. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Both are just arbitrary names for ethanol. Denatonium is traditionally added, to make it bitter and unpalatable. Hence the Denatured part of the name, it hasn't had the nature taken out...

A common industrial blend contains 10 odd % methanol, which gave rise to the Methylated part.

A better, more descriptive name would be Rectified Sprit, as commercially avaliable brands both contain the denatonium and methanol.
Cool - thanks for the info.
I'm painting the house at the mo....and I have both spirits on hand. Just wondered if one was better/worse for wiping down, cleaning up, prepping etc etc. But, as suspected, they are the same!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm going to need a picture. I need to get on top of my cellar costs.

With Dale's guidance...I could be about to severely reduce it!

I am not sure whether to drink Asahi, Inner circle, Brookvale Union or a nice Plantagenet Shiraz...

Beware, tomorrow there will be a global shortage of whichever I choose.

Minlak

custom titis
When did tyres get so expensive and why? I like to run Ardent Race Rear and Ardent Front but currently have Continental Mountain Kings and the front is a bit sketchy since I got faster (Read Skinnier / Lighter). I used to buy them around 40 -50 a tyre they are $75 a tyre now? WTF! you can get tyres for your car cheaper than that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bike tyres have always been expensive. Ridiculously expensive for what you are getting volume wise. But then the sales volume is a concern...

They got expensive when everything else did, the wheel revolution. When bike companies realised people would simply just pay more.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I think tyre compounds have improved too, which could explain some of the price hikes. But yeah, comparing to car tyres isn't really valid due to the economies of scale.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
When did tyres get so expensive and why? I like to run Ardent Race Rear and Ardent Front but currently have Continental Mountain Kings and the front is a bit sketchy since I got faster (Read Skinnier / Lighter). I used to buy them around 40 -50 a tyre they are $75 a tyre now? WTF! you can get tyres for your car cheaper than that.
Gotta source them from overseas ... CRC when on special is around $40-$50 ... and hibike has some great rates (eg last month got magic mary addix for $50 and DHR2 for $45 .... though shipping is flat $30 so best to hold out for a bulk/group orders)