The QUICK question thread.....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
If you pre-order a new bike for the next model years' incoming stock, are you more-or-less locking in full retail price?

Is it better to wait until the stock has hit the floor and then negotiate a better price / shop around ??

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you pre-order a new bike for the next model years' incoming stock, are you more-or-less locking in full retail price?

Is it better to wait until the stock has hit the floor and then negotiate a better price / shop around ??
I have always felt that retailer a should reward your early commitment with a hefty discount. You are essentially guaranteeing a sale or at least their profit margin via a non-refundable deposit. But...not many seem to see it this way. Instead you are locked in for whatever price you guys agree on.

Buy at the end of the season...or even better years after the season ends and when standards and trends have move on by a huge mmargin.That is the best way to get a good price.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’d like to think they’d be sorting you out with a discount, but unless you regularly get looked after at this shop I doubt they’d give you one.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What's the current best practice, should I be jamming some Slick Honey down my fork seals or will that just gather dirt and grit?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nope. Regular servicing, and wipe the stanchions down every now and again to stop dirt building up is how I’ve always done it.

My seals are always in good nick come service time doing this, and I generally go alot loger between intervals than the manual suggests

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep - just keep them clean and fresh. Any grease will lead to blahhhhhhhh. I throw a little silicon on the stanchions every now and then. Not sure if it helps of not...probably just a superstition now days.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What's the current best practice, should I be jamming some Slick Honey down my fork seals or will that just gather dirt and grit?
Nope. Wipe down stanchions and then spray inox or silicon spray onto seal lip and compress suspension a few times. Wipe up residue and any muck that was caught on seal lip.

Anything that gets past the seals should get caught by the foam wipers but they need to replaced at the regular service.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Clean the stanchion down first of all the dirt and dust then spray on the lube, cycle the fork a few times then wipe all traces of the excess lube off. I find Nulon Ezi-Glide Silicone Spray to work pretty well.

Z

Zaf

I'm with @Ultra Lord on this. Don't use anything that isn't part of the lowers service and keep your maintenance intervals regular. Unless the fork has service ports, in which case you should still be using whatever is recommended as part of the lowers bath to slick up the oil rings a little.

Minlak

custom titis

Honestly if you are looking for the "Bargain" it comes from buying last years or the years before stock not the new stuff. In my shop if you are wanting the latest you have to pay a premium to get it as I have to pay a premium to get it as the demand will normally outstrip initial supply on anyhting people will actually want. In my case its technology and in Australia its called the "Early Adopters Fee".

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Honestly if you are looking for the "Bargain" it comes from buying last years or the years before stock not the new stuff. In my shop if you are wanting the latest you have to pay a premium to get it as I have to pay a premium to get it as the demand will normally outstrip initial supply on anyhting people will actually want. In my case its technology and in Australia its called the "Early Adopters Fee".
Yeah I figured pre-orders were prolly not likely to be a screaming deal....but wasn't sure.
I'm happy to buy last year's model but when you need an XL frame size it can go either way - never any stock around.... Or it might be the only size left.
I like Poodles' logic about being rewarded for a guaranteed sale, but not the case in reality I guess.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
...but when you need an XL frame size it can go either way - never any stock around...
I have bought two expensive framesets - I bought a Santa Cruz, and ordered an Ibis Ripmo, both dropped about $300-400 off retail just by asking if they could do any better (from two different stores as well). I am not a great negotiator and suspect I was just getting the standard drop-down, you could probably knock them down a bit (lot) more if you had the patience...

The Ibis I ordered early May and was "due in" in the next few days - but now the "definitely around mid-June" is turning into "we're trying to find out how long it will be", etc... It will be interesting to see what it turns into, but the point is if you have to order and you're leaving a deposit - you're "guaranteed" business and all they have to do is call you when the bike/frameset arrives. I would expect a discount as the timeline is not definite, they don't have what you want in stock anyway, and you could go and buy something else instead if they don't look after you at least a little.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It should be...the retailer (and often the wholesaler) is taking no risk to secure the sale, they are not locking down capital, are sacrificing no display space, and do not need an allocation of sales staff time. All they are doing is facilitating the sale...now I agree they should be entitled a cut for their role, but I don't feel a premium price is correct. Some retailers occasionally offer a small discount. If you are just rocking up on launch day and hoping for the best, similar to an appletard, then yeah full price makes sense.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah I figured pre-orders were prolly not likely to be a screaming deal....but wasn't sure.
I'm happy to buy last year's model but when you need an XL frame size it can go either way - never any stock around.... Or it might be the only size left.
I like Poodles' logic about being rewarded for a guaranteed sale, but not the case in reality I guess.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
The other option is to check out Competitive Cyclist from Sept when they start running out older models. Even with $400 shipping and gst it's often 40% cheaper than buying locally.

Eg. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...haW4gQmlrZXMgJiBGcmFtZXM6MToxOmNjQ2F0MTAwMTYw

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Iam not a great negotiator and suspectI was just getting the standard drop-down, you could probably knock them down a bit (lot) more if you had the patience...
Or not...towards the tail end of the season or when there is plenty of stock not moving it can work out. But just as often you get the "but that's the price" mentality. I love a good bit of hustling and when I find retailers of the same mind set they often get a good bit of repeat business. To me a quick sale in slow times is a good sale.

Z

Zaf

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not to mention the @Minlak bow and arrow tax.