The QUICK question thread.....

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are the best options for a Second set of wheels for commuting? Mtb frame is non boost 12 mm axle.
Most mtb rims/wheels are wide these days.
Are gravel wheels what I need to run some narrow tyres?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
@The Duckmeister - would you need to run the insert between the BB cups on this design? o_O

Asking for the Commencal Enduro team...
That’s just fucking stupid. Only way that has any hope of not eating crank spindles for breakfast is a one piece bearing carrier that’s an interference fit.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What are the best options for a Second set of wheels for commuting? Mtb frame is non boost 12 mm axle.
Most mtb rims/wheels are wide these days.
Are gravel wheels what I need to run some narrow tyres?
A lot of gravel wheelsets have a 100x12mm front axle, which makes pairing them with a non-boost 15mm axle fork near-on impossible.

Given how many 'burners have "upgraded" to boost over recent years as frames have required, a post in the wanted-to-buy section could be a good idea...

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A lot of gravel wheelsets have a 100x12mm front axle, which makes pairing them with a non-boost 15mm axle fork near-on impossible.

Given how many 'burners have "upgraded" to boost over recent years as frames have required, a post in the wanted-to-buy section could be a good idea...
Thanks. I have not had much luck with second hand wheels and postage is normally a pain on wheels. I will keep looking.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
A while ago I saw someone was making a Shimano derailleur clutch cover mod with an inbuilt Sram rip-off cagelock... Can't for the life of me remember who was doing them or where I saw it... anyone else see this?
All I can find with a Hambo is shitty 3d printed wedges...

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
A while ago I saw someone was making a Shimano derailleur clutch cover mod with an inbuilt Sram rip-off cagelock... Can't for the life of me remember who was doing them or where I saw it... anyone else see this?
All I can find with a Hambo is shitty 3d printed wedges...
This one?

Edit: https://instagram.com/zencomponents?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Calvin27

Eats Squid
About to strip a lock ring from my el cheapo tool.

What tool is good to buy to remove the external spline rotor lockrings? Mine seems to slip a fair bit that I can't get them off without risking stripping the whole thing. Internal lock rings seem like a much better idea, or heaven forbid 6 bolt!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@Calvin27 The BBB 44mm BB tool that 99 Bikes sells is good. Nice long handle for torque, no chamfer on the interface like some of the socket tools so you get full engagement. Pretty much always in stock.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Calvin27 The BBB 44mm BB tool that 99 Bikes sells is good. Nice long handle for torque, no chamfer on the interface like some of the socket tools so you get full engagement. Pretty much always in stock.

Silly question maybe. What’s the round plastic doodad on it?

ausdb

Being who he is

If you have prime these are a good deal, not quite as long but still work OK.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have some 622x19c wheels that I am thinking of using. Problem is it's not tubeless ready. Should I go to the effort of whacking tubeless tyres on this or is it bound to fail?

It's pretty narrow but I'm only planning to run 29x2.2 tyres on this so nothing fat.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I have some 622x19c wheels that I am thinking of using. Problem is it's not tubeless ready. Should I go to the effort of whacking tubeless tyres on this or is it bound to fail?

It's pretty narrow but I'm only planning to run 29x2.2 tyres on this so nothing fat.
We all used to do it back in the day, ghetto style. Some rims were more successful than others but none were as reliable as the tubeless rim/tyre setups nowadays.

If it's for a commuter or a bike only ridden occasionally then I'd go for tubes to be honest.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If it's for a commuter or a bike only ridden occasionally then I'd go for tubes to be honest.
Bike will be ridden periodically, at least once a week. The numbers are pretty staggering though. I can use some boat anchor tubeless compatible wheels 622x25c weighing in at 2.4kg, or a lighter old xc set that is 622x19c (1800g) that might or might not run tubeless. With tubes, the lighter wheelset is looking like it's still a few hundred lighter. But, if I can get the tubeless working on the 19c wheels that's almost a kilo in rotating mass at stake which is huge.

Just more concerned if it will be reliable and hold air. Will give it a go and chance.