The QUICK question thread.....

stirk

Burner
I will need to replace my rear brake pads soon. They are Shimano callipers, BR446 model with resin pads.

Anyone used Noah and Theo sintered pads to replace the OEM Shimano resin pads with good results, i.e. more power, less wear, no ducks?

I'll need to double check the rotors are compatible with sintered pads but assuming they are it would be good to know of other better options for replacement pads. Perhaps sticking with Shimano resin pads is best....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N-T-Shim...-Brake-Pads-/321791024462?hash=item4aec3d5d4e

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

stirk

Burner
Police transit command

Some police got on the train to check tickets, seems to alot of them doing this since opal was introduced in Sydney.

While one officer was booking a young girl for not having a ticket is struck me that these officers from the transit command are not your usual police officer.

They wear the same uniform, carry guns and hand cuffs etc but there is something different about them.

They are small and skinny and don't have them same presence as the majority of police I've ever come across.

Did they simply grab a bunch of cityrail transit officers and ticket sellers and turn them into transit police?

Can they do other police work or they are just assigned to the transit command pending further training and workouts in the gym??

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Some police got on the train to check tickets, seems to alot of them doing this since opal was introduced in Sydney.

While one officer was booking a young girl for not having a ticket is struck me that these officers from the transit command are not your usual police officer.

They wear the same uniform, carry guns and hand cuffs etc but there is something different about them.

They are small and skinny and don't have them same presence as the majority of police I've ever come across.

Did they simply grab a bunch of cityrail transit officers and ticket sellers and turn them into transit police?

Can they do other police work or they are just assigned to the transit command pending further training and workouts in the gym??
If they picked state rail staff they would be plenty fat...you are likely mistaken.

I believe they are a branch of the regular police force. They certainly have the same manners...no please. No thank you.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I will need to replace my rear brake pads soon. They are Shimano callipers, BR446 model with resin pads.

Anyone used Noah and Theo sintered pads to replace the OEM Shimano resin pads with good results, i.e. more power, less wear, no ducks?

I'll need to double check the rotors are compatible with sintered pads but assuming they are it would be good to know of other better options for replacement pads. Perhaps sticking with Shimano resin pads is best....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N-T-Shim...-Brake-Pads-/321791024462?hash=item4aec3d5d4e
Sorry for the necropost stirk, but did you end up getting these aftermarket pads and if so, how did they go? Reason I ask is that I'm looking for new pads for the Guide R brakes on the Trance and see that your Noah & Theo pals do Guide pads too. I jumped on my hardtail for a ride yesterday for the first time in a while and was surprised at the difference in performance of the Shimano BR445/446 brakes on that bike - a lot better stopping power than the Guides with the standard resin pads. It doesn't make sense to me though, I would have though the 4-pot Guide calipers would have performed much better. Should I be looking at pads (ie. new resin pads, non resin or aftermarket), or is it the entry level Guide 'R' levers that are ordinary?

I should clarify too that the stock Trance runs 170/160 centerline rotors, and the HT has 180/160 RT56 Shimano discs. I was thinking of putting a 200mm rotor up front on the Trance and moving the 170 to the rear (or spend more and go 180 rear) to improve stopping power as it's always felt underwhelming when I'm pointed downward on a trail.

Is that too many quick questions in one post?

Minlak

custom titis
Sorry for the necropost stirk, but did you end up getting these aftermarket pads and if so, how did they go? Reason I ask is that I'm looking for new pads for the Guide R brakes on the Trance and see that your Noah & Theo pals do Guide pads too. I jumped on my hardtail for a ride yesterday for the first time in a while and was surprised at the difference in performance of the Shimano BR445/446 brakes on that bike - a lot better stopping power than the Guides with the standard resin pads. It doesn't make sense to me though, I would have though the 4-pot Guide calipers would have performed much better. Should I be looking at pads (ie. new resin pads, non resin or aftermarket), or is it the entry level Guide 'R' levers that are ordinary?

I should clarify too that the stock Trance runs 170/160 centerline rotors, and the HT has 180/160 RT56 Shimano discs. I was thinking of putting a 200mm rotor up front on the Trance and moving the 170 to the rear (or spend more and go 180 rear) to improve stopping power as it's always felt underwhelming when I'm pointed downward on a trail.

Have you bled your guides.... thrown them away and bought shimano yet??? :behindsofa:

Serious question:- Did you bed the guides in?
Serious Statement:- It is not unheard of to need to bleed Guides out of the box and for guides to go "Spongy" on hot days....

stirk

Burner

I upgraded to XT with sintered pads, the stopping power over the 446 is incredible.

Can't comment on the guides but the 446 is underwhelming so perhaps a change of pads in the guides will help.

Get sintered pads see how you go.
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/brake-pad-information-2009.html

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Thanks for the comments Gents.

The Guides were stock on the bike when I got it, and I assume the LBS would have bled them properly - I have no reason to doubt their competence. And I did bed them in originally with some heavy braking at speed.

I had a chat with the guys at my LBS earlier this morning in fact and whilst they weren't shit-canning Avid outright (they sell bikes with Guides after all), they certainly had more praise for Shimano. Apparently the DOT fluid in Avid brakes absorbs moisture and it needs to be changed regularly to maintain optimum performance. In contrast, the mineral oil that Shimano uses does not have this problem and can last for years without loss of performance. Guessing you already knew that though...

The Guides do feel 'spongy' compared to the Shimano brakes, so maybe a bleed and/or fluid change is in order, it is hot & humid in QLD at present so the DOT fluid may be contaminated. I'll give the pads and rotors a clean first and see if that helps. That pinkbike link says that sintered pads are better for fat bastards like me so I might give a set a go on the front.

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
might be getting some wheels with hope pro 2 EVO hubs. The rear is currently 10sp. I can buy the freebody with XD driver, but there are 3 options.
1) Gold 12mm spacer
2) Gold QR Spacer
3) Gold X12 Spacer

I need this hub to fit a V1 Santa Cruz bronson, 12x142 rear. I know it's not option 2, and assume it's option 3, but want to double check with you smart bastards

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many actual turns of HSC on people's RC4 shocks? The manual says 12 clicks, I'm getting 4.... Not sure if the indexing is fucked on a second hand shock or if the actual adjuster is bung.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
might be getting some wheels with hope pro 2 EVO hubs. The rear is currently 10sp. I can buy the freebody with XD driver, but there are 3 options.
1) Gold 12mm spacer
2) Gold QR Spacer
3) Gold X12 Spacer

I need this hub to fit a V1 Santa Cruz bronson, 12x142 rear. I know it's not option 2, and assume it's option 3, but want to double check with you smart bastards
I'm pretty sure the x12 is for 142x12.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do Reverbs need a specific housing or does it use standard hydraulic brake hose?

Edit: and thanks for the above answer, I've ordered the X12

moorey

call me Mia
Do Reverbs need a specific housing or does it use standard hydraulic brake hose?

Edit: and thanks for the above answer, I've ordered the X12
Noob answer. I bought a cheap reverb with a busted hose for my boy. Can't confidently comment on the hose, but the barb has proven hard to get. There seem to be a couple of different ones, and the distro keep sending my LBS the wrong one. :noidea: