The QUICK question thread.....

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I feel like nothing like this exist but figured i'd ask just to be sure.

anyways got an ibc tank today but i'm wondering if it's possible to get a screw top thing with like a little roof/funnely thing for collecting rain instead of having to connect down pipes to it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Firstly is it a new or repurposed tank? If the second are you using it for potable water and be careful.

Not seen anything commercially available but you are limiting catchment area by not connecting to a roof.

Every m2 equals 1L per mm of rainfall so if you have a full width funnel it will need a full year or more to fill.

Skydome

Firstly is it a new or repurposed tank? If the second are you using it for potable water and be careful.

Not seen anything commercially available but you are limiting catchment area by not connecting to a roof.

Every m2 equals 1L per mm of rainfall so if you have a full width funnel it will need a full year or more to fill.
Re-purposed but not for my drinking, it'll be for the chooks and general watering, cleaning of chooks stuff.

I've seen the chooks drink out of some filthy shit before.

I was kinda hoping for something that is a bit wider say by 10cm or so of the tank that I could use instead of having to spend a lot more in getting guttering done and etc.

But yeah it sounds like what i'm after doesn't exist otherwise i'd assume someone would have made something by now. the other option i though about is welding some sheet metal to the steel around the tank but now we're just getting silly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Re-purposed but not for my drinking, it'll be for the chooks and general watering, cleaning of chooks stuff.

I was kinda hoping for something that is a bit wider say by 10cm or so of the tank that I could use instead of having to spend a lot more in getting guttering done and etc.

But yeah it sounds like what i'm after doesn't exist otherwise i'd assume someone would have made something by now. the other option i though about is welding some sheet metal to the steel around the tank but now we're just getting silly.
It will probably blow your budget, but building a roof over the tank and running 1 pipe in?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I feel like nothing like this exist but figured i'd ask just to be sure.

anyways got an ibc tank today but i'm wondering if it's possible to get a screw top thing with like a little roof/funnely thing for collecting rain instead of having to connect down pipes to it.
If the screw lid of your IBC has a screw fitting inside it for the air vent/pump out fitting...then you may find you can adapt something to fit. Like a juice bottle...and some plastic sheet

We used to use an IBC for the chook house water that was filled off the chook house itself but they are too small for the roof area and they are not UV stabilised...so they don't last long. Unless you get the ones made of black poly that are used to transport diesel.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
~15mm is a lot of ett. But you'd have more reach. Smuggler was probably designed to run a stem shorter than 60mm as well, so maybe it's going to balance out.
Check the stack too as that effects reach a bit.

But assuming stack is comparable - If you were too cramped with a 15mm shorter stem, you'll feel exactly the same amount cramped when seated on the Smuggler, just with your weight 15mm further forward. Standing/attack position probably wouldn't feel any different to your current bike though (aside from the slacker front end).
I'm thinking having wider bars would help a bit too (Cotic only 740mm - Smuggler meant to run with 760 and a 50mm stem).

One of the main reasons the Cotic felt cramped with short stem might have been due to the steep head angle - having weight closer to a 70 degree HTA made it a little awkward on tighter switchbacks - perhaps with the front wheel out further it wont be so bad.

Annnd I just found out I'm actually only 176cm, not the 178 I thought I was... unless I have shrunk since my 20s...

So I think I just talked myself into it.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Another quick one: anyone got a good ebay link for decent quality gear cables? Want to grab around 5-10 inners and ~10m of outer cable. Is that possible, or do you need to buy in quantities of 50-100?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Another quick one: anyone got a good ebay link for decent quality gear cables? Want to grab around 5-10 inners and ~10m of outer cable. Is that possible, or do you need to buy in quantities of 50-100?
Don’t stuff around. Buy shimano SP41 outer and just generic sram stainless inners.

Flow-Rider

Burner

You must have a chook shed, slope the roof on it and run a gutter down one side. You might be able to get secondhand guttering or go to a demo site and ask for some. I've got a flat car port 6x8 and it fills a 10kl tank in a couple of down pours.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Can you set it next to the cookhouse roof and channel that into the tank. And yes chooks eat and drink shit but I am not sure where any heavy metal or nasties will go. Eggs? Meat? Be cautious and research what was in there. A mate had a large coke part a or part b drum. One was safe, remnants of the other would kill you. Apparently.

Skydome

If the screw lid of your IBC has a screw fitting inside it for the air vent/pump out fitting...then you may find you can adapt something to fit. Like a juice bottle...and some plastic sheet

We used to use an IBC for the chook house water that was filled off the chook house itself but they are too small for the roof area and they are not UV stabilised...so they don't last long. Unless you get the ones made of black poly that are used to transport diesel.
Are you talking about the top where a pipe would go in or are you talking about the bottom where there's already a bung/outlet thing?
Can you set it next to the cookhouse roof and channel that into the tank. And yes chooks eat and drink shit but I am not sure where any heavy metal or nasties will go. Eggs? Meat? Be cautious and research what was in there. A mate had a large coke part a or part b drum. One was safe, remnants of the other would kill you. Apparently.
About the only other thing I can do is attach guttering to the sloped side and run it into the tank.

And the tank previously had synthetic wax in it which they use for binding tapeta synthetic track together so it probably just needs a good rinse out with a strong detergent than another rinse out without any detergent.

There's a bit to be done but i'm sure i'll get something sorted out.

I do have heaps of tin I may be able to jimmy something up with or I could take it up to the main tanks and attach it to the overflow.

I've got a few options but i'd really like to have it near the chook shed but i'll have to see how all the other options stack up in terms of cost/complexity etc,