The QUICK question thread.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, we aren't greedy in this area, coffee is his main money spinner, and it's s shit coffee. How the hell do people drink this weekend van coffee
People will often happily pay for unbelievably bad coffee. Lots of factors go into it - addiction being a big one. But also charisma. While I have none, I've worked in places where someone can be a real charmer and deliver the shitedt cup of mud imaginable and people will keep coming back for it. Perhaps donut man has a way with the people?

safreek

People will often happily pay for unbelievably bad coffee. Lots of factors go into it - addiction being a big one. But also charisma. While I have none, I've worked in places where someone can be a real charmer and deliver the shitedt cup of mud imaginable and people will keep coming back for it. Perhaps donut man has a way with the people?
Yeah, you sound like my sort of barista, personality means nothing to me when it comes to a coffee, taste is it, period

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Where's the best place to learn about bike fit? Been on a couple of rides now, should really learn how to get the best out of it dimensions wise. Probably going to have to pick up some cheap stems to see what did and definitely need to try out a few second hand saddles. Mine is like a bread board.

Then probably suspension setup. Bit more involved than a 27yr old rigid MTB.

Edit: singletracks and bike radar was probably thorough enough for now. Might just try a longer stem and seat combo.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
After an uneventful ride I dropped the chain on the final descent a couple of times. XT 11speed rear derailleur, about three years old. Clutch was on, hadn't received a knock that I'm aware of.

There's now hardly any tension in the chain at all on the smallest two or three cogs, above that works fine. I've accidentally left the clutch off in the past and haven't had problems, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the spring.

The spring seems to be attached as normal, but can be twisted quite a few degrees more side to side than those on my other bikes.

Haven't encountered this issue before, before I pull it apart is this an easy fix or is it new bike time?

@The Duckmeister ?

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
Steerer tube length!
I've just installed some new forks and the steerer tube is about 20 mm higher, im going to spend time playing around with stem height etc as I went up 20 mm in travel and now everything I spent years perfecting is ruined haha.
Can i just smash a bunch of spacers on top of the stem? Until i work out the optimal stem height. Im definately going to anyway but is there going to be any adverse effects my brain hasn't considered?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Steerer tube length!
Can i just smash a bunch of spacers on top of the stem? Until i work out the optimal stem height. Im definately going to anyway but is there going to be any adverse effects my brain hasn't considered?
yes no probs but i prob wouldn’t leave that much exposed, don’t want to fall on it, perhaps put one underneath

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
yes no probs but i prob wouldn’t leave that much exposed, don’t want to fall on it, perhaps put one underneath
looks like there's two underneath already?

I dunno how tall OP is?....but having a little extra steerer length up your sleeve is great IMO. I wouldn't cut the excess off unless I was 1000% sure I would never need it. And if you sell the fork later on then more steerer = more potential buyers.
Many peeps hate the look of an "erect" steerer top sticking up.....but meh....aesthetics be damned!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Where's the best place to learn about bike fit? Been on a couple of rides now, should really learn how to get the best out of it dimensions wise. Probably going to have to pick up some cheap stems to see what did and definitely need to try out a few second hand saddles. Mine is like a bread board.
there’s s bike fast fit app for about $7, takes quite a few angles if you have a trainer

tobbogonist

a registered member
Thanks Daniel and creaky.
My head was doing that 'your an idiot and have missed something' thing.
Now I need to find which box I put spare spacers in.
I'll cut the length down next week after mucking around with positions.