The QUICK question thread.....

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Is this stuff useful for bike tyres? Just found half a can in the garden at the shopping center. Well, my dog found it.

moorey

call me Mia
Is this stuff useful for bike tyres? Just found half a can in the garden at the shopping center. Well, my dog found it.

View attachment 359525
Haven’t used that one. My general experience with car sealant is a no. Too thick, and you need too much of it to get around everywhere.
Give it a try though, use more than usual, maybe 150mm*

*all just guess work. Report back.

FigBo0T

Haven’t used that one. My general experience with car sealant is a no. Too thick, and you need too much of it to get around everywhere.
Give it a try though, use more than usual, maybe 150mm*

*all just guess work. Report back.
In tubes? I have two with holes, I think I'll have a crack.

FigBo0T

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Sealant wont work in tubes, they expand too much. Either repair them with patches, bin them and replace them or bin them and go tubeless. Option 3 please.
I bought those things today. After all the dramatic stories here about tubeless stuffs, I'm happy to stay with tubes for now.

Anyone want half a can of untested sealant? It's from Supercheap, so it must be good, right?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I use sealant in the tractor or mower tyres. Because they dont go faster than about 15kph. I have also used sealant once in the M trying to keep enough air in the tyre to get to a tyre fitter to have a cheapie put on to get me 100km home. Having seen what it can do to rims I would not use it on anything else except in extreme emergency. The M forged alloy was washed and scrubbed before the new tyre went on. And again when a real tyre was fitted the following week.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You of all people should know this, but get the proper old school valcanising kits, costs the same as a new tube and you get about 8 patches.
Wait till you get a few punctured tubes and do them all at once.
If you don't use the glue for a long time then it has just dried out right when you need it anyhow.

safreek

Bollocks.

Are you putting in a new tube every puncture?Don't buy those instant pre-glued things, they are shite.

You of all people should know this, but get the proper old school valcanising kits, costs the same as a new tube and you get about 8 patches.
To be honest I hadn't even thought of them. Went to a couple of different bike shops for kits and they both sold me similar things, might be failing memory but I remember glue ones used to work. Where about are you getting vulcanising kits these days