The QUICK question thread.....

tobbogonist

a registered member
looks like there's two underneath already?

I dunno how tall OP is?....but having a little extra steerer length up your sleeve is great IMO. I wouldn't cut the excess off unless I was 1000% sure I would never need it. And if you sell the fork later on then more steerer = more potential buyers.
Many peeps hate the look of an "erect" steerer top sticking up.....but meh....aesthetics be damned!
Running tan wall rear and black front tyre already, im not too wound up on what it looks like.

Also.. im short. Right in between medium and small frame size.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Cheers, i reckon i will wait until its not 40 degrees in the shed before i tackle this one.
I have even more stack than you do (not bragging) and got my nut and insertion device over a week ago, but still haven't taken the plunge yet. A little procrastination is cheaper than new forks.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I have even more stack than you do (not bragging) and got my nut and insertion device over a week ago, but still haven't taken the plunge yet. A little procrastination is cheaper than new forks.
Sounds like a brag!
Yeah im pretty bad with that stuff, if its rideable I will ride.
You dont want to see how I fixed the lockout (threading the cable through the lever is near impossible)

stirk

Burner
After an uneventful ride I dropped the chain on the final descent a couple of times. XT 11speed rear derailleur, about three years old. Clutch was on, hadn't received a knock that I'm aware of.

There's now hardly any tension in the chain at all on the smallest two or three cogs, above that works fine. I've accidentally left the clutch off in the past and haven't had problems, so I'm guessing it's something to do with the spring.

The spring seems to be attached as normal, but can be twisted quite a few degrees more side to side than those on my other bikes.

Haven't encountered this issue before, before I pull it apart is this an easy fix or is it new bike time?

@The Duckmeister ?
I've the same rear mech and it's not exactly really taught in the high gear cogs. I'm also dropping the chain a fair bit. I've serviced the clutch and it's nice and tight and sticky so I'm putting my dropped chain to narrow wide chainring and chain wear which are a couple of years old. They are working fine just not hugging it out anymore in the rough.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I've the same rear mech and it's not exactly really taught in the high gear cogs. I'm also dropping the chain a fair bit. I've serviced the clutch and it's nice and tight and sticky so I'm putting my dropped chain to narrow wide chainring and chain wear which are a couple of years old. They are working fine just not hugging it out anymore in the rough.
tried adjusting B screw?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Have you pulled the clutch off and given it a clean and re-grease? After a wet 4h enduro, Felix’s had got muck in there and wasn’t returning properly.
I haven’t, no. Does the clutch still provide some tension even when switched off? Have ridden with the clutch off without this problem before.

The chain hangs like it’s got ten extra links in the smallest cog, but tension is taken up quite quickly as you shift up.

moorey

call me Mia
I haven’t, no. Does the clutch still provide some tension even when switched off? Have ridden with the clutch off without this problem before.

The chain hangs like it’s got ten extra links in the smallest cog, but tension is taken up quite quickly as you shift up.
Yep. It can get stuck forward and not return. Worse when cluck is on, but sticky even when not.
Reckon that’s it.

moorey

call me Mia
Cool, I’ll investigate. Straightforward job?
Yep. Bit of a clean, bit of light grease. 10 minute job. Just look at how it sits so as to reassemble correctly, particularly having the little cam positioned correctly so that the clutch engages when lever is flicked.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Is a 160mm fork pushing it on a bike designed around a 140 fork?
Bike is a banshee paradox v3 29er.
Recommend a 44offset fork. Was going to buy a fox 34 140 (mtb direct only have 51 offset left), they do have a 160 lyric rc2 that has a 42 offset. Im tempted to try the lyric even though im a fox man.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s perfect. All banshee’s are ideal with 20mm more in front than rear. My phantom runs 130, spitty 160, Rune 180.