The QUICK question thread.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The beauty of the rattler is it doesnt twist the frame, before trying it i was worried about completely fucking the frame. Rattle gun just started it moving, then off it came in a hurry.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
in desperate need of undo advice
see pics, can’t undo the allen key on the old octalink cranks..i presume the l-r threads are opposite in that they both undo the same way? have sprayed it already, have a 1/2” socket handle with a thomson seatpost on it, won’t budge
also when i get the other side crank off, start undoing the bottom bracket i undo it 6-6 turns then it becomes really tight? like it’s still connected to the other side..i thought they undid independently?
am losing it..swearing & abuse

Flow-Rider

Burner
see pics, can’t undo the allen key on the old octalink cranks..i presume the l-r threads are opposite in that they both undo the same way? have sprayed it already, have a 1/2” socket handle with a thomson seatpost on it, won’t budge
also when i get the other side crank off, start undoing the bottom bracket i undo it 6-6 turns then it becomes really tight? like it’s still connected to the other side..i thought they undid independently?

View attachment 361476
View attachment 361477
Both RH threads so different to pedals.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
How the fuck do I take the end caps off my Hope Pro2 Evo front hub. I can't find a video that explains it, and just want to put some grease in the bearings. In the rear hub video guy seems to just reef them off with pliers. I'm good with open cup and cone bearings, and skateboard ones but have no idea with this new fangled yet 5 years old shit!

Flow-Rider

Burner
How the fuck do I take the end caps off my Hope Pro2 Evo front hub. I can't find a video that explains it, and just want to put some grease in the bearings. In the rear hub video guy seems to just reef them off with pliers. I'm good with open cup and cone bearings, and skateboard ones but have no idea with this new fangled yet 5 years old shit!
If the front is 20mm it will have c clips you need to remove first otherwise they pull straight out.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious

View attachment 361476
View attachment 361477
so do you drive the 8mm lock ring inwards to push against the axle for removal, maybe you are running out of thread!
can you back the 8mm all the way out and place a thick washer in between the axle and the lockring to act as a shim to push against?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
so do you drive the 8mm lock ring inwards to push against the axle for removal, maybe you are running out of thread!
can you back the 8mm all the way out and place a thick washer in between the axle and the lockring to act as a shim to push against?
no can’t get first bolt undone, halted everything, put 2 steel posts on the 1;2” drive 8mm hex, won’t undo

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
no can’t get first bolt undone, halted everything, put 2 steel posts on the 1;2” drive 8mm hex, won’t undo
Have you tried the age old trick of flipping the bike upside down, putting a nice length of pipe (if you don't have pipe laying around try a long seat post or even handlebars for more length) on your hex key, then you'll have a lot of leverage...if you need more pressure press the opposite pedal into the door frame, a foot on the frame, and really pull back on the fucker. Set P your GoPro because there is a chance of a spectacular fall and we could all use a laugh at the moment.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Working from home Friday, on a video conference, and my (non bikey) neighbour is out there smashing away on his cranks with a hammer into a large screw driver. He was going for a solid 5 minutes, obviously trying to remove, or ‘adjust’ the cranks without knowledge or correct tools.

Obviously he was satisfied with the outcome, as he headed out for a spin later on.

Moral is, hammer never disappoints.